1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LED Backlit LCD or normal HD LCD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by legends84, Dec 31, 2009.

1. legends84

legends84

Thanks Received:
    hello guys...

noob question ..:p

I want to buy a new LCD and I find out that there is one LED Backlit LCD or something which is 23" SAMSUNG XL2370..

I wonder what is the different and functions between LED LCD and normal HD LCD? is it worth to buy LED LCD right now?

thanks for advice.
    much respect :)

2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    LED models should have better power consumption and higher contrast ratios. The ones with true white LED backlighting (as opposed to the modified blue LEDs found in most LED setups) may have more accurate color reproduction.

Honestly for PCs I think the panel type is a bigger factor than backlighting. TN being the poorer and IPS being the best.

I have an LED backlit LCD on my netbook and I can't really tell the difference quality wise form my 23" Samsung with CFL backlighting- just great battery life.

legends84 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    could you tell us how much of a price difference you are talking about?

TN panels are usually (99%) the best for the average joe because of price/performance... As for LED, it could be a good plus, but you also have to look at price/performance...

I believe the samsung you are talking about is 240$ at buy.com, which would mean it is a good price IMO... Now is it the right LED type (white) ?

For laptops, LED is almost a must for me though xD

4. SummerDays New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the invidiual monitor. Dell makes crappy IPS panels all the time.

There are also TN panels with excellent colour reproduction and low response times. I'm sitting in front of a TN panel right now with good colour. Plays games wonderfully.

TN ..

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=ec17518a-366e-4f09-8173-ca42d439b357

IPS ..

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=ec17518a-366e-4f09-8173-ca42d439b357

legends84 says thanks.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i upgraded from a TN CCFL to a TN LED for my main PC, i assure you LED is worth it. the contrast difference is quite large, and the power savings are awesome to boot (33W for a 24"? hell yes!)

legends84 says thanks.
  6. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Summer- I was only making general statements

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. SummerDays New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was just arguing for the sake of discussion. :)

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Yea I agree... I see the difference every weekend when I go to my cousin's lol... and I believe this samsung is 28W if I'm not mistaken :eek:

http://www.displayblog.com/2009/09/21/samsung-xl2370-23-inch-1080p-lcd-monitor-with-led-backlight-available-in-taiwan/

this link says its white LED so I think your good to go :p

But my preference for a monitor ATM would be http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001317 for the resolution and size... Though the resolution can be a downside to many...

If I were to buy a monitor now, I would hesitate between that monitor, and the LED monitor you just suggested :D

legends84 says thanks.
  9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I have that exact monitor (23" 2048*1152):D CFL doesnt make a difference to me with it :)

legends84 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Cool! :D Could you tell me if you have any cons with that resolution? btw it doesn't have a hdmi port so would you have an idea on how to get sound if I want to use my ps3? and will it have black bars everywhere? Playing ps3 on my monitor is only a plus, not a must... but I'd like to know :D

I'm guessing Graphic cards do well with this resolution anyways since it isn't that much more pixels than 1920x1200 right?

any other advice would be appreciated :)

thxs!

I would have PMed you but I think this could help out everyone including the OP

legends84 says thanks.
  11. legends84

legends84

Thanks Received:
    thanks all.. I have enough budget for LED LCD.. or should I wait more LED LCD to release and buy the SAMSUNG 2343BWX first that n-ster suggest me?? i could save extra bucks..

12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Well the monitor is outstanding. I think the colors (after calibration of course) are great and the resolution is really like having a dual monitor setup when going side by side.

The DVI is a DVI-D with HDCP support so an HDMI adapter would be able to display PS3 content fine. With the new PS3 firmware you can use the multi out port for audio and HDMI for video. I have not tried it personally, but I suppose I could later and PM you about it since I have a DVI-HDMI adapter here on my desk :D

I don't game at all, but I did play HL Lost Coast at full res for a couple mins and it was well over 100fps, I did play Torchlight and it ran about 60-80avg and 140fps peak at native res as well. See rig specs for WCG0.

All in all it is an outstanding monitor for the price. Really the only weakness of this monitor is off angle viewing. It gets bad quick.

Now back to topic!

legends84 and n-ster say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Thanks alot!!! Try it only if you nothing to do, I wouldn't want to trouble you :)

To the OP, in this case, I think that that monitor would be great for you then :D But just to be sure, what will you be using your monitor for?

And what do you not like about your current monitor?

14. legends84

legends84

Thanks Received:

I want a new monitor for gaming purpose.. i game a lot than watching movies..

my LG LCD is dead due to my little nephew spill his milk on my LG LCD..:laugh::laugh:

I take it to warranty.. but they rejected it.. now I am looking for a new one.. cant decide which one yet..

15. SummerDays New Member

Thanks Received:
    legends84 says thanks.
  16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Where will you be buying from? a website would help... Also, what price are the 2 monitors we've mentioned?

Let's not forget the OP lives in Malaysia :) Unless you're buying it in the US?

17. legends84

legends84

Thanks Received:
    I buy it from a local shop in Malaysia.. there's loads of LCD i can find here..just want to search which one is the best for 23''-24''.

they sell lots of samsung and LG products here.. so this is the choice i might have..whether samsung or LG

18. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    sure LED is better , new technology (less power , better contrast , more live time)