1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Legacy OS 2.1 LTS

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by LegacyOS, Apr 19, 2014.

1. way12go

way12go New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will try Puppy. If I don't encounter any problems then I will keep using it.

I don't think my hardware will ever support Legacy which is for old hardware. Can't use it. Virtual box - yes. I will give it a try. If any old hardware out there, I will spread the word.

No disrespect to users you said otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    please use edit feature if you wanna add something

3. LegacyOS

LegacyOS

Thanks Received:
    Hello way12go,
    Thanks for your comments. Only through using Legacy OS will you find out if it's for you. Puppy 5.7 is built with Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Packages held together with Puppy scripts which gives it a speed advantage over Ubuntu. OneMoar and Aquinus are right in saying for the average Linux user to stay with ubuntu or better still xubuntu. Here's an example. When BarryK Puppy Linux's creator setup the Puppy Package Manager he set it up to use ubuntu 12.04.1 packages. Now that 12.04 is at update 12.04.4 the package manager can't find any packages that's been updated and most apps you try to install fail. Security updates aren't provided. Puppy is for tinkerers who like to experiment with their computers and this is what attracts most Puppy Linux users. Legacy OS 2.1 LTS is based on Puppy 2.14 which uses T2 Packages. Additional packages used to create Legacy OS 2.1 LTS have been sourced from many locations and that makes it unique.

Finally a thanks goes to OneMoar and Aquinus for providing as always entertaining comments in this post, you guys make me laugh.

In all truth my family and I uses Fedora 20 Gnome, Kubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu, Xubuntu 14.04 and Legacy OS. When I need to be productive I use Legacy OS over the others as it's been built the way I want an OS to be. Fast and Reliable.

Hello johnspack,
    Good luck with you test. Just remember Legacy OS 2.1 LTS most likely won't run on any duo cores and is best used on 2000 to 2006 Pentium 3 & 4's. All I ask is that you be honest in your testing warts and all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    A good distro should work on all machines. Hence why I recommend Debian.

5. fisheater

fisheater

Thanks Received:
    Following your logic, ubuntu is a POS. I'll have to agree on this!
    . . . and of the debian distros out there, antiX and CrunchBang are among the best, by the numbers, BTW (doubters: look it up yourselves as I'm not here to spoon-feed)

Have a good day, everyone! And remember Rule 63 -- don't take yourself too seriously!

Good job, LegacyOS!

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Nah, by no means. Ubuntu's full desktop experience out of the box might not be to your liking but it's not like Ubuntu isn't as flexible as Debian is. You don't need to use Unity when you use Ubuntu. I've found Ubuntu to be comparable to Debian for just about everything. Ubuntu just makes it easy to get going for the user, that's really it considering Ubuntu is a Debian-based distro.

7. LegacyOS

LegacyOS

Thanks Received:
    Firefox "Windows" version 29.0 and Adobe Flashplayer 13 running under Wine in Legacy OS 2.1 LTS

Attached Files:

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Show us something special. Almost every distro of Linux can run WINE. I would rather run stuff natively if I'm going to run Linux.

How about running Firefox 29.0 in Linux without WINE? How about Chromium? WINE is wasted by using a browser in it because there are already linux binaries for the same applications so your resources are being wasted in WINE. I would have given you some credit if you showed say, Google Sketchup 8 running in WINE (decently) as there is no Linux variant and actually requires a little bit of CPU power where browsers require very little most of the time.

Frick says thanks.