1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo Aiming for New Market

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    PC manufacturer Lenovo is looking to expand its market by targeting the poor (but large number of) people living in rural China. The firm announced that it will sell computers for as little as $200 to people living in China’s countryside, offering systems complete with a keyboard which will be designed for use with customers’ televisions. If successful, Lenovo’s new policy of having lots of people paying a little could see them further expand their market within China (70% of the population there live in rural areas) beyond the reach of other companies such as Dell and HP, potentially securing a foothold in the future market there. At present no details of the hardware specification or operating system to be used are available, other than that prices will range from $200-$400 depending upon the machine.

Source: Reg Hardware

2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Thats good. I thought IBM selling off their pc division to Lenovo was a bad move on their part. However, it looks like it has benefited both firms. I like the idea of a cheap pc, with quality parts that is. Perhaps they will trickle that over this way.

3. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Selling PC's that work well on a standard tv is probably key to keeping prices down in such a market.

OLPC is going to be outdated and outmoded before its even widely available :slap:

4. Tuk New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean using an SDTV as a monitor?
    You're not going to be able to tell a 1 from a 3.

5. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It will be fuzzy, but if the text size is set large enough it will certainly be readable (I've connected my PC up to a 17" CRT TV, it's not nice to use but it can be done).