1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo so HOT

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lordjohn, Nov 13, 2012.

1. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    I have a lenovo notebook from my wife, not used much since it is so hot. she bought it around 2009. It come with a core 2 due t5600 cpu, min temp at 55c, max temp at 85c, GPU(gt8400) temp min at 64c, max at 85c.

I used many notebooks, including some top end models(i7 + 460m), it was never that hot even under load.

we called lenovo, they say it is normal!!! since it was out of warranty, I disassembled it last year, took out the heat pipe and copper fin, wash them, reapply sliver silicon, change a new fan. format HDD, reinstall winxp, The temp was only able to decrease by 5c.

any idea why?

room temp at 20c

Thanks in advance
  2. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Normal, laptop parts are generally more resilient to heat than desktop parts. Especially when the laptop continues to function normally I would't be to concerned.
    lordjohn says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Depth

Thanks Received:
  4. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    those temps look ok to me. Is the notebook uncomfortably hot when you are using it? Does it have stability issues that can be traced back to heat?
    lordjohn says thanks.
  5. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    And you are posting after one year of use AFTER the disassembly and change of thermal paste>? :) I think it's ok. My guess is (since I have a new Lenovo laptop and it runs hot too- and I changed the thermal paste, on a brand new laptop :D) that their cooler design is just not right. The general heat output is not distributed well. But I am no engineer, it's just a guess of mine.
  6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    laptops are designed to run hot... I have had a mac laptop for almost 2 years, that on a daily basis the chip hits 92C+ for hours and hours on end. still fine.

Unless it is crashing i wouldn't worry about it... that GPU name sounds familiar though... i think those had solder problems with heat, can't remember.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1028703/all-nvidia-g84-g86s-bad

it is the inquirer so... take with a lethal dose of salt. but I do remember some murmurings about these parts dying a bit fast when loaded.
    lordjohn says thanks.
  7. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

perhaps try using RMClock Utility (standard version is free to use, pro version with more features is payware); with RMClock Utility you can undervolt the processor and such under-voltage can result in much lower temperature and power usage (here's a guide how to do it). Make sure you test the stability of such under-voltage with burn-test tools like Prime95 or OCCT.
    lordjohn says thanks.
  8. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Everything looks normal to me... ~90C is quite normal for laptop CPU's when put under load.
    My i5-2540m is regularly throttling due to heavy load (when starts to hit 100C).

Try putting heavy load on all cores on your i7 and you will get similar results.
    lordjohn says thanks.
  9. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Not off base at all the 8400M in my Acer had to have it's GPU replaced once for just that reason
  10. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    My Acer lasted from mid 2007 to mid-2012 without GPU issues, although the mobo was going into sh*t.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I woulda loved to have been sent the "carcass" I recently had to order a new keyboard for mine(after like 5-6 years I FINALLY spilt a beer on it)bought a new fan for it while I was ordering as it was getting pretty loud and rattly.
  12. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I did away the parts I couldn't salvage, and when it comes to that what I still had we have had discussed a deal but that did not go on becuas of the high shipping costs (IIRC).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    cool

Thanks, never know how to underclock notebooks, thanks
  14. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

Just when comparing this old lenovo with my acer i3-350, it is so different, i3 350m is at 60c when under OCCT. but this lenovo is at 70c just watch youtube.
  15. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
  16. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

it is stable, but I never pushed it. since my wife bought it, and she can not recall how hot it was when it was new.
  17. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

maybe it is the design problem. but new lenovo notebook models seems ok. for example G580 with i5 under load(occt) is at 70c
  18. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

maybe it is caused by gpu, since 8400 is at 65c at low and 80c when play any light game. and notebook use same heatpipe for gpu and cpu.
  19. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    The i3 is 35W TDP with iGPU, the C2D is 34W TDP + the GPU.... my sister has a C2D T7300 in her laptop (but with Intel GMA) and it spends most of it's time at around 70C (fan spinning up constantly).

EDIT: Please use multi-quote ;)
    lordjohn says thanks.
  20. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

my i3 is with gf330m, should it be more powerful than c2d t5600+8400? even i7 with 460m under fear2 max setting the temp is lower than c2d watching youtube.

many of my friends say lenovo has temp problems. but I have used 2 lenovos in the past, one i7 gen1 and one i5 gen3, both of them never gets that hot when under no load.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  21. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    wow 6 post in a row. Use the edit feature. HP and Nvidia had a class action law suit a while back for a bad design that included some other laptop co. Not sure which. there are a few fixes on youtube. Basicly the heat pipe went over the north bridge chip and overheated it causing a black screen. But iif its working then your good to go
    lordjohn says thanks.
  22. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, those temps are normal, C2D is really old and power hungry compared to newer CPU's (it also doesn't have that many power saving features as the new CPU's).
    Maybe the later versions (built on 45nm) are a bit better but you still can't compare them to modern CPU's.

Simply saying Lenovo has temperature issues is wrong, there can be a certain model (there is a chance it's the one you have) that has some issues but you certainly can't say that all of them have ;)
  23. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    thanks, I agree, since I never knew cpuid 6 years ago, I was never able to know what were the temps on my old notebooks(most was from company and returned to them after few years of use). I think those old notebooks maybe also very hot.

One update, just asked my wife, she never knew what was or is the temps, but she say the fan was never that loud when it was new. but after 1 year, the fan spin so fast and she feels it is very loud all the time, since I changed a new fan now, can heat pipe ever go bad?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012