1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Let be honest...this gen of consoles was terrible

Discussion in 'Games' started by -1nf1n1ty-, Sep 18, 2009.

1. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Lets be honest, doesnt anyone agree? 360 keep breaking having to send it back, wii having terrible list of games and online play, ps3 being so damn expensive and taking long to produce games(I think that could go for all of them) people bitching about which console is better, LOL even PC owners get in on the mix which is sad cause I thought most were better than that....I miss my sega saturn and sega dreamcast....anyone wanna just discuss this? sure some of the games that came out are great but......who wouldnt wanna pick up an old school ps2 dreamcast 64 xbox and play the games on that? be honest, I have been left with the question, whydont you get a 360? truth is im scared of it breaking and I wouldnt get my moneys worth......why dont I get a wii?? well theres nothing on the wii I like except for the zelda and mario games and the old school games but I have a pc I can emulate that crap, well you have a ps3 dont you like that? well yes I do otherwise I wouldnt have bought it but its also pretty boring when you cant play online with a lot of people cause xbox live is oh so much better(sarcasm) I believe they're the same damn thing

EDIT: I prolly shouldnt say TERRIBLE, but it wasnt as great

edit2: Please don't mind my spelling errors I was in a rush

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think any of them are terrible, they just all have some low points. I do miss the simple days of gaming, where developers focused on the actual games instead of ways to play the games. Get a game, shove it in, and play. No downloading game data or updating, no having to meet certain hardware requirements to play or needing some fancy add on.

3. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    yeah I agree, thats why I want my saturn or dreamcast back cause sega had great games, there wasnt anything fancy except the VMU's that was in the dreamcast

just hate having to hear developers say, well the ps3 is complicated to work with or the ps3 isnt as good as the 360 etc. who cares just make the damn game quit bitching no one said things were gonna get easier when technology gets better did they? once Im out of college I know for a fact doing 3d modeling and animation is going to get harder so im not gonna bitch about it to the public

4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The Best consoles of all time were the 16bit consoles. Genesis and SuperNES, closely followed by the 8bit consoles. Back then, gameplay and story was all they had to go on. They actually concentrated on.............GASP!!!......................... making games fun to play.

stuartb04 and TheMailMan78 say thanks.
  5. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I loved my sega saturn back in the day had GREAT games, each and every one of them fun, back when reviewers played the games

6. lemode

Thanks Received:
    I think the Xbox 360 is terrible. My friend has had to send his back to get repaired like 6 times since he got it. Made me stay away from buying one. Got myself a PS3 with a bonus check before the company I worked for before that company filed chapter 11...and it’s been great + I wanted a Blu Ray player in my room. Now, I think Xbox Live is structured way better than Sony but I still won’t even consider getting a 360 even though it means I can’t play games with him haha.

I really miss the days of the og NES and Sega consoles! Console gaming fell off for me when the nintendo 64 came out.

7. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    IMO the wii is the only bad from this generation. 360 and ps3 are both great. 360 bringed shooters to consoles in such a good way that no one expected while ps3 graphic are the hell of god (and when gt5 comes out it will be the best console)

8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Consoles always have their problems, the best thing is to wait for them to be sorted out and the price to drop. That way you get the best games, and the bugs gone for cheap.

PS1 - Faulty CD drives. I have a rare first gen one that still works
    N64 - Cartridge slots loose their spring and the game won't make contact. (Same for NES and SNES)
    Dreamcast - Faulty GD-Roms that wound up slicing people open because the cd brake didn't work
    Xbox - Faulty DVD Roms led to dirty disc errors

All of those had serious issues and no warranty to back em up.

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    And none of those came close to the failure percentage of the 360.

10. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Well, the failbox 360 was a failure because they stupidly designed the heatsink system. If they had used a better mounting system it wouldn't have failed so much.

The PS3 fails because it's hard to code for and the Cell is just a single core with a bunch of logic units stuck to it, and also backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games was lackluster, and in most cases, not even there.

The Wii did very well. Stupid people break thier TVs with it, but for most it's fun and gives the stereotypical fat lazy gamer a workout session. It just uses old hardware so the games don't look as good as they could, and I tend to not like nintendo games.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    If they didn't spend so much time making the consoles themselves look "pretty"........... I mean seriously, they made the ps3 with a rounded top just to piss me off. The 360 looks like a failed attempted at sophisticated art, and the Wii is as brittle as an elderly's bones. The games have been brutally dumbed down, and the pc ports for the most part got the short end of the stick. I am so upset from this bullshit console generation that I can't make a coherent post.

12. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I love your location MC :laugh:

Consoles have always been inferior in the eyes of the PC gamer. The only advantage I can see with consoles is multiplayer support so you can play with your friends with splitscreen (oh boy). I'd rather my friends all have pc's and connect to a server so we can all be comfortable in our own setups.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    i <3 my supernes

( + -- .'.' )

14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Wait, one thing that this generation has done better is racing games. I do have to give them that.

15. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I will forever love my Nintendo 64/Dreamcast.
    Key games that come to mind: Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Mario 64....Nuff said, time to change my underwear.

phanbuey says thanks.
  16. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    ohhh yeah.... goldeneye...

also day of the tentacle, monkey island, and full throttle...

also cyborg justice for sega genesis....

17. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    The first Xbox did. Maybe not as much as the 360, but there were ALOT of them with the dirty disc errors.

18. Benno New Member

Thanks Received:
    I miss just putting in the disc, turning it on and playing a game. I hate this menu crap. I don't think this gen was terrible, just not as fun as the last gen. It's all about dlc and graphics now and I hate it. I like my games to be fun, they don't have to look lifelike :D

The way I see it
    xbox 360- could be good if it wasn't so faulty but there's a lot of good games on it.
    ps3- too expensive and it has a smaller variety of games.
    wii- not really suited to this gen, seems more of a transition really although I think the wii has a lot more fun games but only really the 1st party games and a few 3rd party ones are worth a look at.

19. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My opinion is this gen just didn't separate consoles and PC enough.

Microshaft decided that the term exclusive meant PC and 360.

The ps3 is not underpowered it's just complicated it sounded good on paper, but when it came to developers they just thought it'd be simpler to port 360 games over to PS3 rather than actually work on the game with the system. To me that is developers problems and not the console.

The wii is an abomination except for a few gems, if it wasn't made by nintendo it pretty much was guaranteed lackluster reviews besides the few gems that stand out. The wii does something both other "next-gen" systems don't do quite well, it brings you back to those nostalgic moments where you feel like your playing an actual game console and not a Underpowered PC.

I do think that The PS3 and 360 should have been more separate from the PC, there for it would give us some hope that PC games are for PC gamers and Console games are for Console Gamers.

I still plug in the Dreamcast from time to time and just to remember what it feels like to play a console. and i use my Wii to play all the classic SNES, Genesis and sega master system, etc games.

i think we all need to face the facts and realize that publishers only see dollar signs and not what the fans want.

The only upside i really see about the PS3 is the exclusives for the console are either real exclusive, meaning you wont find a copy eventually on PC.

The next generation only promises to be worse than this one.

20. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    I have had 2 xbox 360's and both have had 3 red lights! the second one is sat on a shelf with the cover taken off and some modding on the cooling, looks like crap but it works!! lol
    I would never buy one again, i know personally 4 people that have had broken 360's

what your talking about is 'GAMEPLAY' ie. fun to play. TBH i too go through the stage of thinking there isnt enough games out on the pc, but then realise i spend nearly all my life on it so i just outplay everygame. There are also alot of games that are not major titles but are actually good games.

When you actually look around there is more then enough games for the pc that's for sure!
    This month.

PC- releases

Need for Speed: Shift
    Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Resident Evil 5
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Aion
    Mini Ninjas
    Champions Online
    Section 8

next month.- October

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes
    FIFA '10
    Alpha Protocol
    Rogue Warrior
    Alter Ego
    Saw
    League of Legends: Clash of Fates

November

Blur - racing game
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    The Sims 3 World Adventures
    METRO 2033: The Last Refuge
    LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

December

Grand Theft Auto 5
    Black Mesa: Source
    Gears of War 2
    Colin McRae: Dirt 2
    Hitman 5
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
    Painkiller: Resurrection
    Postal III

Thats just the ones i know about - i cant wait for november going to be a great month. There is no way in the world tho that i will have chance to play all those games, and there is some dam good games in there with great game play tbh. I personally am lucky enough to be able to buy the hardware to keep up with the games tho.

Although i part agree that they tried to make them like pc's, I think they were more aiming for a console that is like a Media center, that can play games, dvds and store your photo's etc. They have tried to make consoles as fast and as powerful as PC graphics in a small little box, which isnt possible at this time. I have beleived for years you can only be called a real 'gamer' if you have a pc. only my opinion tho

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the wii is only a failure if you look at it as a hardcore gaming system. its for light gamers, or party games.

sure many non nintendo games suck for it, but my god - the nintendo games sure are fun as hell to play with 4 people.

22. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I think that this generation console makers put more effort than ever. The problem for some is that their expectations advance more then the consoles them self :D. Whats not to like hardware sold with price below manufacturing costs.

23. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Not yet, all there really is is NFS:Shift, and Forza 2, then some mediocre titles. PS1 brought in the NFS greatness, then rounded it off with Gran Turismo 1 + 2, also Ridge Racer (not huge now, but when it released it was). And don't forget the Test Drive titles.

24. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    No I don't agree this gen has done quite well, don't forget this gen leaped Standard to high def..it was done quite well....they just failed to predict the major advancements in silicon development, what could they do after having spent so much on development, just dump it for the latest greatest..no not with this world economy

25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    You're missing GRID and DIRT and Most Wanted. My point was, racing games, in general, steadily improve with each new generation. Wasn't referring to any franchises in particular, and there will always be franchises that are an exception.

SirJangly says thanks.