1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

lets play with a x800xl..

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Ketxxx, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Yep! I see there are plenty around here with them so lets play around with them, theoretically theres no reason why any XL (weather it be R423 or R430) can't run as a R480 core for starters, thus using the R480 driver path, giving a performance boost, again in theory.

Aside from this, theoretically an R423\R430 core has more potential for OCs because of its smaller micron process (.9 vs .11) of course, to test this particular theory it would take somebody with vmodding equipment and a XL, or somebody who wants vmods done to their XL and somebody with vmodding equipment.

As most will probably be aware, the XL cores are nutorious for using low voltage (1.28v - 1.35v roughly) not only does the core theoretically hold more potential, it will also generate less heat (again all theory but well within reason given specification) and the cores have shown good resillience to voltages (up to say 1.52\1.55v on good 3rd party cooler, and possibly up to 1.7v on water)

So whos game for trying this out? I'm already making some BIOS changes, just need someone whos willing to do vmods, I would, but I got rid of my equipment some time ago thinking I'd never want to vmod again, ho-hum. :(

I'll post the BIOS I'm doing when I've tested it on my own XL so we know it won't blow any cards up.
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    you know, I really dont think I'm in the mood for voltmods...especially when I spent the extra cash for an X850XT :p
  3. mmx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that x800xl has only R430 core and without voltmod and wather cooling you can get near the R423 or 480 speed.
  4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    i have an X850 series as well, so what? whole reason i bought an XL was to investigate things others were either too lazy or unwilling to do.
  5. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    X800XL uses only R430 (110nm), never R423 (130nm). R480 is also 130nm.

The fact that R430 and R480 share the same architechture doesn't mean they behave the same. Secret behind R480 is the special high performance fabrication process (nicknamed Black Pearl) and quality silicon. The process behind R430 is a budjet solution meant to make the chip effective but with the lowest fab costs possible.
  6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    as i said, its all theoretical, it doesnt mean anything is less capable though given a level playing feild
  7. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are wrong from the begining because R423 and R430 are very different. R423 is the high end chip based on 0.13 micron Low-K manufacturing process and it can be clocked at 540+ Mhz.
    R430 is the same chip but built with idea to be the Low-end line of the X800's (with the same architecture) but based on 0.11 micron manufacturing process (no Low-K dielectric) which is cheaper but the speeds are far more lower than on R423. (Max. 450MHz)
  8. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    thats what im primarily talking about, architecture is fundamentally the same, fair enough i got the k processes wrong, but with the amount i have to store in my brain im allowed to let some things blur into one :D