1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lets try this again....Dual monitors on radeon 4850

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Bioshock, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Bioshock New Member

Thanks Received:
    cant get this working for the life of me, ive read alot of people having problems with this set up and im one of them

ever since i got this 4850 (asus top) i cant use both monitors, ive tried every driver release since the 8.12's and the same thing happens.........

if i have windows loaded and try hooking the second monitor up, i get an instant freeze. windows locks up and has to be restarted by holding the power switch in for 4 seconds......if i plug the monitor in while everythings off and boot up, about 10 seconds in both screens start to flicker then one goes solid green and the other goes black and the system locks up.....same problem everyone else has if you search google

keep in mind dual monitors worked fine on the geforce 9600gt i had about 5 months ago, never have got this 4850 to work right

system specs:

cpu - phenom 2 x3 720
    ram - 4x1gb corsair xms2 dhx
    hdds - 2 x 360 western digital
    motherboard - xfx 8200
    gfx - asus top radeon 4850
    sound - xfi elite pro
    psu - ocz gamerxstream 700w

so yea green screen on one monitor, black on the other, all drivers do the same thing......anyone figured out how to fix this yet?

oh and the monitors are envision g218a1's 22 inch @ 1680x1050 60hz

thanks, hope someone knows whats goin on!

2. Bioshock New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump

3. troyrae360

troyrae360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what windows are you using?

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    First you should not be plugging a monitor and comp is on.

Have you tried safe mode with both monitors plugged in ?.. If not and it works reboot with just one plugged in and uninstall the drivers shutdown and plug the other monitor back in and then reinstall drivers.

You MIGHT want to try driver sweeper to after uninstalling driver in safe mode.

5. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    when everything fails, get your money back and buy a 9800gtx+

6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I use 2 monitors on my HD4830 absolutely fine.. extended desktop.

Attached Files:

7. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you clean your old nVidia drivers properly after you got the 4850?

8. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad I read this thread...

I was considering getting an additional screen but I have the same exact card.

9. Bioshock New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the replies everybody

ive tried everything from xp, vista, and now windows 7. tried 32 bit and 64bit versions. nothing works

ive tried formatting, and driver sweeper every time i reinstall/update drivers

same as above

its a 4850, not 4830

yea man, this is the only card ive ever had this problem on......and it seems alot of other people do as well....i got this when newegg had a 24 special selling them for $110, otherwise i wouldve stayed nvidia

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Don't see why he would have to get a 9800GTX lol.. Although the card could be faulty or it could be the OS messed up some were.

I have a issue on my other comp were s video or second display will not activate thats a NV card.

11. Bioshock New Member

Thanks Received:
    as far as the OS being messed up somewhere, i really doubt that would be the cause.... ive tried formatting and starting from scratch many many times

i would email ati about the problem, but that would be a waste of time....all they will say is update/reinstall drivers.

12. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i had problems with the same exact thing.

i would hook up the second lcd and extend the desktop to it and the display driver would crash and reboot the machine.

nothing ever fixed it.

cant go wrong with nvidia though...

13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Any chance you can get the monitor.inf file for each of them see if that works ?.. or if you are using them use MS's default ones.

In that case i would RMA and make sure they know what the issue you are having with it. I'd even think about sending pics of it when it happens to if you have a camera.

Login your VIP account on ASUS and send them the question and find out that way. There cards have a default of 3 year warranty

14. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have no problem running dual LCD's on a single 4850

To the guy who said he was thinking of going dual monitors on one of these. Don't let this thread steer you away from what u want. The OP is having problems and it may or may not be the card, but remember... not all cards are the same.

15. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I had 2 22" @1920x1080 running on my 4850 no probs

16. Bioshock New Member

Thanks Received:
    true, i never had a problem on any nvidia cards running dual monitors. hooked em up and they just worked

ive tried using ms drivers for the monitors, and the manufacturers drivers......same problem no matter what

you can google it and see how many people have this problem, actually here is a picture someone else had posted in this thread

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=100628

[​IMG]

why take the risk?? if i would have known about these issues beforehand i wouldve stayed away.....i heard alot of good things about the 4850's though. if you have a single monitor set up i would definately recommend these cards, not for dual setups though thats for sure

do you have catalyst control center installed or do you run your settings through ati tray tools??? to me it seems like a screen detection issue, because the screens flicker a couple times before going green and black....like its having trouble detecting it

i know in ccc you can set it to manual detection but that didnt help the cause, the reason i asked about att is because that program causes windows to blue screen on startup ever since i installed the 4850. any driver version, and version of windows.....blue screen on startup everytime when att is installed

17. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Makes absolutely no difference, the HD4830 uses the same PCB design and the same GPU as the 4850, 4830 just has one cluster of shaders laser cut. I would suspect the error lays between the chair and keyboard :p uninstall the drivers, use something like driver cleaner pro in safe mode, reinstall drivers, then enable both monitors. As somebody already said, don't go plugging monitors in with the system on thats just dumb, make sure their connected prior to the system being turned on.

18. Bioshock New Member

Thanks Received:
    you my friend obviously cant read and your comment was unnecessary. i said ive formatted many times, ran driver sweeper many times, and the issue goes back to the 8 series drivers

you should work for ati's tech support team

19. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Well excuse me for your inability to provide all the necessary information in your inital post. That, my friend, is your undoing, not mine. Back to the topic at hand, what is the BIOS version on your graphics card? Use GPU-Z to obtain that information. Your problem may be related to a early BIOS revision thats subsequently been fixed in a more updated BIOS.

20. Bioshock New Member

Thanks Received:
    i actually just checked asus's website for a bios update, and there is one.....i dont know how much good it would do though considering the description of the update

very nice use of the english language, wouldnt you want your gpu to shut down if its about to overheat??

either way, ill give it a go and see if it helps

21. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Asus probably meant to say they fixed a GPU temp calibration error which would cause games to exit. Its worth a shot, Asus never list all the fixes they make in a BIOS.

22. Bioshock New Member

Thanks Received:
    well the bios flash was a no go, they have no files listed for the 4850top which is the card i have, i tried the one i mentioned earlier and it said unsupported adapter

23. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hell, at this point I may be selling my 19" and just getting a cheaper projector :D

24. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    May be worth visiting mvktech.net and checking their BIOS archive, try a few different 4850 BIOSes from there. AFAIK the Asus card you have is a reference PCB design so theres lots of BIOSes that should work fine with it.

25. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Try asking ASUS though your ASUS account which is directly to ASUS and not their forum and see what they say.. Maybe they know of it maybe it's a faulty card and they will replace it.

I'd like to know what they say too :p.

I'm sure they dealt with it much more than anyone on here and most other places.