1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lexar JumpDrive S73 32GB USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
  2. Major_A

Major_A

Thanks Received:
    Damn deceptive marketing ploy. Average Joe Buyer sees this drive on the shelf next to a cheaper Lexar USB 2.0 product. Then he sees the giant neon sticker that says "USB 3.0!!!". He thinks "Oh, it's USB 3.0 so that automatically means it's better than USB 2.0 (Duh!)". With the test results this thing is a stinking pile of excrement. The colors are almost as hideous as the performance. I have a 5 year old USB 2.0 drive that will stay at 32 MB/s with reads and writes. It's 5 years old! To boot, doesn't the USB 3.0 port provide more power? So in theory you're using more power for USB 2.0 speeds? I guess this small rant is centered on the product at hand but it's really a frustration being expressed toward MOST USB 3.0 flash drives. The only ones that are worth a damn cost as much as an actual SSD.

3. cloaker New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i have one of these, and while it may not be a high end USB 3.0 device, it certainly destroys a lot of USB 2.0 devices in the same price bracket here in Au.

the bonus i found was that while USB 3.0 hampered the read speeds, the write speeds didnt change much, meaning this could also be treated as a 'fast' USB 2.0 drive for a cheap price.

I can understand that while some devices are faster, but around here more expensive USB 2.0 drives still struggle to achieve 5MB/s write speeds consistently.