1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG 22" Flatron W2242S review

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ketxxx, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    As theres bugger all info on this monitor about the net I figured I would jot down some details for folks.

Image Quality:

Out of the box its pretty poor. However playing around with the settings will net you a reasonable return, it still won't be fantastic, but it will be a little better than average, some may even call it good.

Response Time: 5ms

Although rated for 5ms it seems like LG have chosen a much less flattering approach to how response time is measured, I would say its up there with the response time of 2ms screens.

Contrast Ratio:

8000:1. Note to get this you will need to select movie mode or internet from the F-Engine menu. Otherwise its a rather poor 700:1.

Resolution:

The LG supports all regular and widescreen resolutions up to 1680*1050. At 1680*1050 the maximum refresh rate is 60Hz and in 1440*900 maximum refresh rate is 75Hz.

Build Quality:

Pretty good. Solid base that easily clips in, and you can tilt the screen.

Connections:

Not great. One VGA port is all you get, no HDMI or DVI, although a VGA to DVI adapter works fine. Don't expect to find wall mountings either, the monitor doesn't have any.

Overall:

Its your average 22" screen, nothing fancy. It looks nice, has a OK picture once you fine tuned the settings, and does not suffer from colour bleeding, dead pixels or ghosting. For £124 you can't really gripe too much, although a DVI port would of been nice to see with a slightly higher quality screen.

Attached Files:

2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    No HDCP I would expect also.

NO DVi-NO HDMI

I would be sending that sucker back with a big fuck you I don't want this behind it......

3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Yea, the picture quality suffers when using a VGA connection and only the budget monitors don't come with a DVI connection. At least it was cheap.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yep I'd take it back too, get one w/DVI, hdmi etc now-a-days. Using an LCD with a vga or dvi-to-vga converter just seems a waste to me. I've used DVI LCD's for year and I've seen the difference comapred to my parents' LCD's running on VGA...bleh.

I loved my Acer 19" and 22" 16:10 LCD's, both were great, no dead pixels, good iq, overall very happy with em', both had vga and dvi connections. My new Asus 24" LCD is amazing, 1920x1080 is great, I came from 1680x1050 which is good, but 19x10 is noticably nicer imo. Plus the asus came with hdmi, dvi and vga connections, I still use dvi atm though! :D

I've heard good things about LG, but just having VGA I'd say take it back, at least get DVI support, at least to me I notice a difference, clearer image, better image quality, improved colors, etc.

:toast:

5. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    you could always open her up and see if they just didn't solder on the conection.....

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    With the same monitor i have not noticed a difference from d-plug and DVI unless it's with a HDTV were as some only support lower res on one or other connectors.

Zero difference with the sammy 204B none what so ever.

However for that price i would get a friend from the US to send me a sammy as it still be cheaper than that...