1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG or Toshiba?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stayplation3, Jan 1, 2010.

1. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
  2. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im going to have to say LG from my precedence.
  3. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    ru just a fan of LG? or do most lgs have a better picture than toshiba? i used to think lg samsung sony all the top brands have the best. but i was at walmart a week ago and the philips 42" they had set up had the best picture ive ever seen on any tv in my life. i never thought philips was a good brand but the 1 i saw was better than them all.
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I say LG. LG tends to make the high quality S-IPS panels that most monitor manufacturers use in their expensive monitors. I trust their quality.
  5. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    any1 elsE?
  6. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im a samsung fanboy. :laugh: we had a toshitba, and I hated the picture. It was terrible. My g-parents have an LG and its perfect. I can't complain about it. Period.
  7. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  8. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    i never really liked toshiba as a brand itself,but their laptops are nice but in terms of monitor and TV i would vote for LG just because i love their designs and their image quality is amazing.
  9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    These are both entry-level HDTV's. That review is perfectly acceptable for this segment.
  10. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an LG 40" 1080P looks just like that pic. Basically the same features also. Purchased mine March of 09' and the picture is excellent. I found it much better than the Toshiba's. The only downfall to this TV is the sound. The speakers are on the bottom of the set. They face down. Sorta odd setup, but it's to make the front look sleek/shiny (which it does). I love mine. I just use surround through a Sony receiver. ;)
  11. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Toshiba were still making VHS and cathodic TV while LG were starting to produce LCD ans dvd players. More experience and knowledge from LG. I have an LG and really satisfied. A dead pixel 2 months after the beginning but lasomt naked to the eye.
  12. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I purchased that same LG for the bedroom. It was a Christmas present for the wife, as she complained she could not read the print on the smaller Phillips.

She loves it. It has a great picture for an entry level screen, as it gives 42" plasma downstairs a run for the money.

IMO, I would have to say, LG. Great price, good picture. Newegg got it to me in 2 days with the free shipping.:)
  13. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Another one for LG have lg plasma in the lounge and found it outstanding in picture quality and good sound. Best part is the input button wich makes easy to navigate to component hdmi and tv.
  14. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    Google "LG.Philips LCD Co. Ltd" or "LG Philips lcd" if you've seen a Philips lcd then you've seen an LG.
    LG and Philips have a joint venture in lcds so they have one manufacturer for both LG and Philips lcd screens.
  15. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
  16. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got one of these LG LCD's. It's sweet and was a great deal. The picture is excellent! Hooked up through my Sony Receiver for surround and adding a PS3 for Blu-Ray it's a nice setup. ;)

LG3750
  17. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Toshiba, LG is a cheap brand that's been renamed L**** G**** ill find the evidence later.
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I own that Toshiba HDTV for about 6 months and it's been great. And their tech support has been one of the best to me and no that don't mean i have had problems with it just a lot of questions.

With that Toshiba model the sound sucks from it but most TV sound does anyways and another thought is your best to keep the unit 6-8 inches away from the wall so it can breath fully.

If you test LCDs in walmart you need to mess with them and set them up to your requirements too.

Just buy a few though walmart as long as you keep the receipt and return it within 3 months you'll get ya money back :).

Anyway been totally happy with my Toshiba. Although there DVD players are what suck ass.

Mine is hooked up to 2 PC's and PS3.
  19. Aevum New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, LG means Lucky Goldstar, which is the product of the old south korean Goldstar electronics congolmerate, they currently share panel manufacturing with royal dutch philips,

also some of the current LG models can me modded to playback Xvid, Divx and H264 (in MKV) from the usb port using an external hard drive, its a plus,
    erocker says thanks.
  20. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    The USB 2.0 support as stated above is a BIG PLUS. But your best bet is to just look at the TV's and don't let the salesmen try and get you to pick this or that. I own an LG and a Vizio. I have the Vizio in my bedroom (32") and it is excellent also. Both play DVD's, PS3, HDTV, Blu-Ray great. It's really on the user. If you're into sports, fast action, etc. look for TV's that fit that need. Same with Movies etc. The technology will continue to keep changing so you will never be up to date with the TV. Now they have full LED 1 1/2" width TV's with 240 Refresh Rate, Contrast Ratio of 3000000:1, 4ms response time. So a TV that was new 6 months ago isn't comparable to a TV that came out on the market recently.

Go HERE and read up. ;)
  21. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    lg means lifes good o.o

im considering this tv too. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253136

cnet gave it a good review. better than the lg http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-...v510u/4505-6482_7-32815256.html?tag=mncol;txt

cnet gave this tv the best review for my price range... what do u guys think? http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-37l5000/4505-6482_7-33700724.html
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  22. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    any1 alive?

ive ruled out the sony so its back to the lg or toshiba
  23. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    please stop incessantly bumping your threads every 30 mins. It is customary to wait 24 hours to allow people to help you, versus almost demanding it the way you bump your threads.
  24. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I always thought that Toshiba made the best LCD monitors ..I had a friend in the manufacturing plant that use to be in NY , He always said they were the best but then again who knows for sure...the link I provided you with says the people seem to rank the LG higher than the Toshiba ..I say go look at them at bestbuy and see first hand then buy them where ever you want ...hows that sound there Mr. Bumpmyownthread:confused:
  25. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    That's the one i was looking for, i just couldn't remember the name.

When Lucky Goldstar was sold here in AUS (it was called by that name back then) it was the mega Cheap ass brand. Now its just named as LG = Life's Good (slogan) and has done well in sales since, but was the cheap brand of the 90's. Go Toshiba.