1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lian-Li XB-01 Xbox 360 Case

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Damn that case is ugly :( I'd get something like that for my xbox but it doesn't overheat anyway and would just void the warrenty.
  3. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, if I were to void my warranty, I would want a sexier looking case and one that makes the 360 quieter by using more vibration dampening. The optical drive is a bit loud when constantly reading information.
  4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    3 things i want for my xbox 360, quieter disk drive and considering they are only £15 barnd new for a dual layer burner im guessing a fast quiet drie isnt efen that much

i want a 60gb hard drive to be cheaper

i want better cooling and funky lime green fans

they already addressed most things with the jasper elite now only if there was a trade up program :( im not shelling out for something i should already have

my xbox 360 is one of the old ones and it hasnt broke yet get hot and makes noise tho and i feel bummed that the 60gb is out now

looks cool but the case is too big and i dont like the price tag or the fact the noise dampening get in the way of the case
    WarEagleAU says thanks.
  5. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I am also one of the ones who got one at launch. It did break, however it wasn't late enough for Jasper :( . The 20GB hdd is starting to get crowded but I'm looking into making my own 120GB hdd as Microsoft charges way too much for theirs.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html
  6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I remembering seeing the pics of this when it was leaked and first released, looked quite nice despite its masive size. But after seeing the review and you pointing outs its flaws its not very good really.

I would have prefered it if they had made the case smaller. And have an external DVD drive enclosure.

Only thing you didnt test which would have really been worth it IMO, is temps.

Maybe run it for 2hrs in original casing and in Lian-Li and record exhausts temps.
  7. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Running temps would mean that I have a controllable environment to test the enclosure in. I do not, as I live in Austria and we do not have Aircons and all that stable temperature monitoring some other continents are used to. With the Xbox temps are not that much of a kicker, as the fan will spin up anyways. The 120 mm fan does not make such huge difference in temperature, that the fan will always stay at some lower speed. Meaning: even that fan will eventually blow full force - not really making it that much quieter.

But I should also mention: Lian-Li has said, that most of the drawbacks and flaws will be fixed for the retail variant. If I do get my hands on one of them, I will make sure to update this review accordingly. As it stands now, this is the case I have in front of me and that is all I can really use for this review.
    WarEagleAU and alexp999 say thanks.
  8. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Seems kinda pointless then really, the way I see it, even if they fix the draw backs:

-Its bigger
    -Its heavier
    -Its isnt any cooler (really)
    -It isnt any quieter
    -It sets you back €90
    -Voids your warranty.

I fail to see the point of this product :ohwell:
  9. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i know it sucks how much they charge for proprietary hardware, i dont own the official wireless adapter i just use one that goes into the ethernet port

i do own the 512mb memory card and its good for saves and xbla games, it was only £15 too which i guess isnt bad for

controllers are dear but hopefully when the game pro evolution soccer 2009 comes out with its bundled controller it will end up cheaper

some of the xbla games are dear but apart from that most of the xbla games are good

the case tho is stupid looks stylish but whats the point unless youve modded your 360 with a modchip and already voided the warrenty, its louder and possible hotter too

id get a 60gb hard drive if it was cheap but currently i can get a at least a 750gb for my pc for that price f'k that
  10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I was all excited at this case until I saw this review. What a downer man..I had high hopes for this. I hope the retail updated revision version is a lot more improved. Frankly, Id get this one, however, its just not worth 90 dollars. I wish I had the jasper hdmi one.
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I've got the elite not sure if its jasper or falcon but its never heated up with me, apart from when my bro started playing gow and covered it in clothes lawl.
  12. prodigy223

prodigy223 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How would you use the watercooling holes to water cool an xbox, i dont think they even have water blocks out for xboxs, or do they???
  13. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
  14. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    To be honest - i was expecting MUCH more from Lian-Li. I'm in love with their PC cases but not only for the look if it. Lian-Li = quality for me. I really hope that retail version won't have those issues...
  15. rrjim1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    XB-01 case!

I purchased a XB-01 case and IMO it's a good case! Everything fit perfect! The only thing I found was the memory card door was not wide enough for both cards, only one fits!
    I purchased a new Falcon Arcade for this project! Removed the GPU heat sink and installed a Falcon CPU heat sink on the GPU. I modified the air guide for the larger heat sink. I also install temperature probes under the heat sinks. Running the fan at 12 volts, (it makes very little noise), the CPU and GPU run just a little over 100 degrees F. room temp at 72 degrees, running a game.
    The only other thing I did was drill holes and make plastic spacers to hold down the rest of the board. Fun project!
  16. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    any chance of some pics? :D
  17. rrjim1 New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Nice one thanks.

Just a couple of questions. What the HS your using on the GPU?

And a little off topic, but noticed it in one of the pics, hows the messenger kit? They keyboard for the controller?

Also, is there somewhere to put the HDD in the case?

:toast:
  19. rrjim1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Heat Sink used on the GPU is a CPU Heat Sink used with the Falcon console!

The Messenger Kit Works great!

Yes, a 120 gig HDD is in there, you need to remove it from the original case!

:)