1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lightscribe discs?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Gilletter, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Anyone here use lightscibe discs for burning CD/DVD? And does anyone know a good brand?
    Andyboy says thanks.
  2. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    WARNING. While lightscribe sounds cool, they take FOREVER to burn and the blanks are more expensive.

MUCH BETTER are the "printable" CD/DVDs. You need a printer, obviously, but the cost of a printable blank is similar to a lightscribe blank, plus you can use any burner, not just a lightscribe. You print in colour and it takes just a few seconds UNLIKE lightscribe that takes many additional minutes to burn.

PAIN is that you need the printer. They are cheap... BUT the deskspace :-(
    Andyboy says thanks.
  3. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought a lightscribe drive, its was only 1 pound dearer than a normal one so no great loss. IIRC I paid about a tenner for a spindle of 50 discs, so they ain't mega pricey either. Lemonadesoda is quite correct though, they do take about 20 minutes to burn a photo image on high quality setting, and the image is monochrome. Depends how often you burn disks really, if its only occasionally then I say go for it. Printers cost more in the long run cos of the ink, which ain't cheap if you use proper inks. IMHO
    Andyboy says thanks.
  4. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Well the dvd burner I bought was lightscribe... didn't know when I got it, lol... but it was SATA, cheap, free shipping, and a mail in rebate. Just didn't know if anyone had used it and the results :)
    Andyboy says thanks.
  5. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    I've used lightscribe before but not alot. I grabbed a set of 25 blank discs by HP for like $10-$15 bux, can't remember. But the write time to the disc is about the same as every other blank cd, and to burn an image on the disc is quite easy and depending on the image or writing you want to put on it will effect how long it takes to write the image. Just to write ~10 words takes about 2 minutes
    Andyboy says thanks.
  6. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    Verbatim or bust.
    Andyboy says thanks.
  7. Andyboy

Andyboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lightscribe

I got a DVD-RW drive just about 2 years ago , the technology just started (in my country) evolving . I got a retail Lite-On lightscribe dvd-rw drive for about 100 $ that time (now in my currency about 70 $) and I want to say i didn`t have any problem with the drive . As for the lightscribe , it takes about 20 minutes if you want to label hd picturesc for your dvd collection but if you only want a plain label with 5 words in 1-2 minutes it`s ready . It`s a good deal because , no charge for the lightscribe , nothing going out (like printers ink) , totally quiet . Per total a good investition if you don`t use it industrial , because of long lasting hd labeling .As for lightscribe cd`s or dvd`s i used verbatim or hp , they both are very good with a little advantage for verbatim (don`t know why :) . Hope this was helpful . pm for further details .
    Gilletter and lemonadesoda say thanks.
  8. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Oh and what "printer" do you need, cause I can't seem to find one locally, lol
    Andyboy says thanks.
  9. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone, just load for example, nero has a tool to make fronts for ur cds, then buy sticker paper, print, stick, lol and u are done :)
    Andyboy says thanks.
  10. Andyboy

Andyboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes but your label will fall of the cd when you insert it in the drive . The glue will overheat from the rotations of the dvd drive and the paper will most likely damage your dvd drive . Or the glue may ruin your cd with ... maybe valuable data .
  11. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    There are special printers that can print on printable CD's, we have an Epson one at work. Quality is ok. personally I like Lightscribe better though it doesn't support color. My colleague prefers the printer stickers so I guess it's a matter of opinion. It is true that printing Lightscribe things takes like 20 minutes and the disks are far more expensive.
    Andyboy says thanks.
  12. Andyboy

Andyboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes , you are half-right but if you refill the printer for cd`s with genuine , premium ink , you go far more with expenses than a lightscribe cd-dvd . If your refill the printer with low quality ink , the printer will most likely fail at some point and you will need to buy a new one ore in the best case change a piece of hardware that will compensate the economies that you made using cheap ink for printing labels than using lightscribe labeling , which is premium and a standard recommended operation . And I want to say , in the end it is only a personal decission ... i personally print cd-dvd labels with lightscribe and the labels for the cases with my personal printer , using standard ink , not premium canon ink wich , if i refill the black and color cartridges I pay over 50% the value of the new printer on the market . decisions ... decisions :)
  13. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    i by-pass all lightscribe and printer ink: i just use a CD pen. booya!
    Andyboy says thanks.
  14. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had an ASUS Light scribe DVD writer, and stay naway from it, windows hated it for the dickens, and i haven't a clue why. I singe got a LG IDE Light scribe DVD writer and haven't had any issues at all. Im not 100% certain but maybe the reaosnw as cuz it was sata, but im not sure.
    Andyboy says thanks.
  15. Andyboy

Andyboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you are right . I had the same trouble with a sata hdd . i didn`t had my motherboard up to date and i didn`t had the sata device drivers . After I updated the motherboard driver my hdd still didn`t work . My mtb was SATA I compatible and the hdd drive was SATA II . I had to jumper the hdd to work as SATA I and my problem was solved . Btw , my lightscribe DVD is Lite-on . No problem in nearly 2 years .
  16. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 to that. is more, i dont use cd boxes, i use the tubes of a 50 discs to put all
  17. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    that is funny. I have been using CD labels for almost 6 yrs and all my CDs with the labels are still intact. You probably stick it like band-aid lol

I bought a 25pk HP LS disc from staples for $10 during last thanksgiving. yet to use. I only use for those important DVD/CDs (home videos etc). Waiting for my tape to fill up so I can transfer to DVD.
  18. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    i stopped putting my copies in fancy cases with full colour printed labels and covers, now they all go into handy 240-capacity wallets
  19. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive had the lables pealk up on me. but i attribute that to the high humidity and the salt air that exists where i live.
  20. Andyboy

Andyboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes , I understand the wallet thing , and the cd-box thing ... I use this methods myself but the really important stuff , home videos , box office movies and other important things I put into DVD cases with labels and LS .