1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linksys WRT610N - Net loopback?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Yin, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    Hey network wizards:),

I'm currently trying to configure my router so that my brother and myself can play Warcraft III together on bnet. I have tried reading\searching on this but I haven't had any luck.

At the moment I can host but he can't join but other people can. He can also host but I can't join and other people can.

We have a Linksys WRT610N router connected to an old D-link DSL-602T modem.

The modem IP Address is 10.1.1.1 and Subnet Mask is 255.0.0.0
    The Router IP Address is 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

Currently I have the modem DMZ my router's IP and I portforward only in my router's interface.

The router is currently running the default firmware has I had some weird issues when running DD-wrt firmware.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised your not having a serious issue. Your modem and router aren't on the same subnet.
  4. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    Hey xBruce88,
    Yes we both have 2 different sets of cd-keys, if we didn't we wouldn't be able to log onto battlenet at the same time =p.

It appears they are having the same problem I am, both of us can host but we can't join each other games. I've read up on this to be a net loopback\nat related issue however I do not know how to fix it.

Ummm??? That is normal.....
  5. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    bump
  6. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    What ports did you open/forward? Battle.net uses 1119 TCP/UDP and 1120 TCP/UDP

With NAT it takes your internal address (private) and changes it into a external address (Public).

When a PC sends a packet it sends it to a destination IP address along with a source and destination source port. The source port is randomly generated by the OS, the destination port will be 1119 1120 depending on what service your requesting from the server. The randomly generated source port is how your router knows which PC to send the packet back too.

Maybe I can explain this further later, don't have time right now.
  7. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    have you tried putting your dsl modem to bridge mode and dial PPPoE from the router instead of using DMZ for the router?
    Yin says thanks.
  8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    see if you can change the settings in your modem to something like invisible passthrough . I have something like that on my moedem it allows the router to handle all NAT QoS and routing instead of fighting with the modem.
  9. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    Thanks you have solved my problem.

If anyone could explain what exactly was going on I'd appreciate it, eg. Why it doesn't work if I dial from the modem.