1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux Mint 9 Video

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by jmcslob, May 27, 2010.

1. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    v12dock and KieranD say thanks.
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    If it cant run games designed for X86 Windows Code without a virtual machine then its not worth it. We need a parallel DX API for all games and also be able to install windows games and Linux drivers in linux like we do in windows.

3. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't use Linux for Games not wort it IMO
    It's great for Office and Social Networking tho

4. Vrgn86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then You will be keeping windows? Linux is prolly not for you. I like linux and the mint version.

5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    looks nice. mint is definitely a nice out of the box linux distro/ubuntu port.

6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt bother switching to Linux then when I can do the same stuff in Windows.

7. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't switch either But if I wanted to say take a bunch of left over or spare parts and build a machine for say my Wife so she can go on FaceBook or play her crappy Shockwave Games I would likely use this OS....Although I'm not sure about Shockwave games...

I'll find out though as soon as I get another HDD

8. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really don't think you're the target audience for switching to Linux then :p

I just installed Mint 9 on my new Thinkpad x100e yesterday, but I've been using it for a while. Mint is FANTASTIC. Never been a fan of the boring brown and now purple uBuntu.

Most of the noticable change appears to be the boot speed, log in refinements, and cleanliness.

Easy Rhino and jmcslob say thanks.
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    The Rate that Linux has vs MS, never see linux as an enthusiast/gaming or media mainstream use OS.

10. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    the point of the OP was not to say that linux is going to be the next mainstream gaming system. while all of your comments are valid they are a bit off point. unless of course you are trolling :confused:

11. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Seems it would be great for something Like a Netbook...
    Something where Gaming is not the Priority
    Or a business Laptop
    I can't see any reason it wouldn't be a Great OS for such things

12. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I don't know - MS seems to be slowing down, and I've noticed a few of my friends getting Linux when Windows 7 came out (all but one said they did it just in spite :))

Of course I've also noticed the surge to open source in physics engines.

I'm not saying anythings going to happen anytime soon, just little things I'm noticing....

13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Pretty good out of the box linux like you said Easy Rhino. Just like the video says its good for a windows user to migrate even more so than say Ubuntu.

Its just a tweaked Ubuntu i think.

I want to go back and try linux again personally im not keen on these versions based on Ubuntu, they do have their uses though.

EDIT: to the OP great video, told me a lot about the OS compared to standard Ubuntu. Also nice description of slab.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  14. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    hrm... it seems to me that with mint you really can do the same thing with ubuntu if you install xfce and install all the codecs and java stuff.

15. F1reFly

F1reFly New Member

Thanks Received:
    so you basically do with your computer as you do now with Windows except you have to basically relearn everything from scratch. lol
    Nah, i can browse the web, edit my vids/pics, watch movies all on my Windows with more 3rd party options and play any PC game under the sun to boot. Good OS for Netbooks as mentioned, but i don't find its fuctionality changing how i use my computer plus the learning curve then you have productivity time. I hate many things about Windows, but those are easily removed and/or customized with Stardocks or something.

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Linux Kernel has been around for about 15 years and longer if you Count Unix, but as a Everyday OS replacement to Windows It is taking forever to.

17. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    I tried ubuntu back in 8.XX days but i just couldn't grasp using the terminal and commands to install things and whatnot. i liked it, seemed snappier than Vista on my system. Course that was when i was lacking an OS for a second lol.

18. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    What Ive noticed about recent distro's of Linux OS's is they are making it easier to use and mostly without the Terminal..For most just enable a few extra repositories Scroll down a list Select what add-ons/programs you want and that's about it..

If you come across something that needs the Terminal you can always copy and paste
    There are also quite a few programs that install stuff for you as well instead of using the Terminal

19. xtaticego

Thanks Received:
    Mint Linux is great for people who come from a windows os . very easy distro to use .Linux is a lot better than windows in a lot of ways games isn't one of them but there are some good games out there . I have used Linux for the last 6 years. Linux is more stable , faster , also can configure just about any thing you want in linux , when you are more of a advanced user you can completly make your own operating system to your liking . Just because you may not like the way Linux runs and operates doesn't mean you should talk badly about it .

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  20. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    truth be told, if people have a problem learning their way around mint linux then they should probably stick to the easiest OS they can.

jmcslob says thanks.
  21. xtaticego

Thanks Received:

So true, Linux is no different than windows when we first used windows we had to learn how it worked , and that goes for Linux too.

22. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I'm on the live DVD now and I got to say it's fairly nice..
    Snappy for a Live disc as well
    i actually can't wait for my new HDD to get here so I can play with this

23. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    gaming wise yea we all know the answer when it comes to linux. But, with Steam going over to Mac's, i'm hoping and thinking that Steam may do the same and eventually work on linux. If that ever happens and they actually get their games to run i may look into linux as TF2, L4D, CSS are bout all i play nowadays.

24. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a working version of steam on Linux, however, it is not public :p

I don't think Valve is going to push linux until the GPU manufacturers pull their head out of their asses with GPU drivers on Linux, and get some decent support, and good API's going.

Of which wont happen until linux becomes important enough..... Being on OS X however, makes the porting process significantly easier, and hopefully the Linux community will adopt Apple's OpenCL approaches. It may provide the boost Linux needs.

Compiz works great on Mint out of the box tho, and ive noticed the proprietary driver installer for uBuntu has made GREAT strides. Out of the box, Catalyst control center on my Thinkpad x100e.

25. regexorcist

regexorcist New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like this Linux Mint background...

[​IMG]