1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux Mint

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Drone, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Go and grab it if you're late to the party. It was released few days before.

New features:

MATE 1.4

Cinnamon 1.6

MDM (display manager)

Software Manager now runs as root, so users no longer have to type in their password every time they click “install”

MintStick has replaced USB-ImageWriter

You can read more about new features here

kthxbai
    v12dock says thanks.
  2. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I might pass on it, I rather use Debian or Sabayon.
    Aquinus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    i got minor trouble (it's kinda annoying) with mint's nadia cinnamon release as my desktop resolution could not fit in 1920x1080 mode. Therefore i should lowering of its resolution using 1680x1050 despite using nvidia's latest driver (310.19)
  4. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Did you set the resoklution in nVidia's CP or in the "monitor" section of the CP of Cinnamon/Mint (it is split like that, resolution is most likely a "Mint" (underlying system) related thing)?
    The best is to set it in the nvidia CP. Run as root and choose to save in in the X configuration file (if the nV CP styill has that option).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    i've tried both methods and neither through nvidia's cp nor cinnamon's display cp could not solve this problem.
  6. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    ok
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Does it just not work or does it give you an error? I personally stopped using nVidia on *nix because it gives me trouble with multi-monitors every time and as a developer nothing pisses me off more than having to mess with my display configuration. Sometimes it would update, sometimes it wouldn't, it always wanted a restart and every time I did get it to work it would either create an X Window display with nothing or expanding the first display when AMD just works when you say, "Expand into this screen." Not to turn this into and AMD vs nVidia war, but I've had terrible luck with nVidia *nix drivers and recently quite the opposite with FGLRX (it used to give me grief, but now it just works.)
  8. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    it gives me an error, somehow whenever i force the display resolution into 1920x1080 mode, it has the outer 5% or so of the desktop screen off the screen. Thus about 5% of the outer edge of the desktop is not visible and makes the bottom menu bar off screen. For your information, i currently use LCD HDTV 22" which capable running on FullHD mode. In addition i connected my computer to monitor using HDMI. I haven't had any issues with my HD7970 card. ;)
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried adjusting over/under scan? I'm not sure what options nVidia's CP offers now, but I tend to have to adjust overscan on HDTVs to get it to fit right.
  10. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    yes, i have tried to over/under scan my monitor and as result my display went crazy and got terrible pixelated (or perhaps blurry?) even i could not see nor read the letters.
  11. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    problem solved after read the README file, took a lil bit observation then adding

Code:
    Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"
    to xorg.conf and voiilaa.. :roll:

in conclusion their driver still buggies especially on hdtv edid

12. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    this isn't unusual for HDTVs. mine did this as well and i just had to open up the nvidia control panel and adjust overscan. no manual editing of xorg.conf necessary.
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  13. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
  14. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Solaris17 says thanks.