1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Liquid Cooled SkullTrail

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by CyberDruid, Apr 5, 2008.

1. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thought this might be of some interest.

Vadim Computers in the UK has a BlastFlow cooler for the SouthBridge that is a great improvement over stock. And EK makes a block the Maximus (X 38) that is perfect for the MCH once you fabricate some brackets.

[​IMG]
    Pulled the rig apart last night

[​IMG]
    This bastage is noisy...makes my ears ring...

[​IMG]
    The three chips are not at the same exact level hence the use of thick tape by the factory.

[​IMG]
    The MCH IHS is frigging HUGE. The XSPC X20 cooler I got from Vadim seems too small. I realize the IHS is always larger than the chip beneath but the XSPC X20 is round and only the diameter of the IHS...so a fair amount is uncovered...I decided to use the EK Asus X 38 cooler instead..

[​IMG]
    The waterblock is sweet: usual EK quality. But I needed to make up a pair of brackets to meet the SkullTrail MCH holes. I used the Springs from a FuZion kit and the screws and thumbnuts provided by EK to make it work.

[​IMG]
    I used IC Diamond Diamond Dust TIM this time around. I could tell the IHS was crowned so I went heavy with the application. I also made up a backing plate using the BlastFLow X20 adapter for SkullTrail from Vadim by putting foam tape on it...although it is not as stiff as the steel Intel backing plate it was quick and easy and I needed to git r done.

[​IMG]
    There it is: ready to remount inside the Soldam case.

[​IMG]
    It's cleaner and easier for service in the future to run the tubing out of the case. I eliminated the bay reservoir this time so that pulling the CPU waterblocks would be simpler. The GFX are on a loop, the Chipset coolers are on a loop and the CPUs are on a loop: and there is enough length to remove them and set them outside the case if needed without parting the lines...

[​IMG]
    I recabled the HDDs a little to make for maximum airflow.

[​IMG]
    Bleeding is simple: I just open one loop at a time and run the Iwaki a few seconds to charge the line then refill the cylinder reservoir in the Monolith cooler.

[​IMG]
    The lines are smaller in diameter and have less volume: this means increased flow. They are all connected to the Hydra which controls the flow for tuning and service via 8 ball valves (3/8)

[​IMG]
    The cooler has been running for about 9 months non stop so I took some time to douche it out and refill it with fresh Dasani. Although far from silent...the sound is less annoying than an aircooled SKullTrail Quadfire set up.

No leaks and everything is running pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The GFX waterblocks are full coverage blocks from EK (nickle plated) for the HD 3870X2s. They work great. With a 22C intake temp on the external cooler the cards idle around 30C. Underload the four GPUs stay under 50C. None of the GPUs runs significantly hotter than any other.

ShadowFold, marsey99 and DaMulta say thanks.
  2. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    LOL, that mobo is HUGE! (so much for my SFF cases)

I really like the color of the case.

(Do you realize how long it took me to go from single core to dual?:laugh:) now Dual Quads:eek: Im so lagging

3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
  4. Duxx Guest

Definitely interested in some benchmarks for this baby. :) Post them when u get someeeee! Great computer, only wish i could drop that kind of cash on something like that.

5. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Benchmarks are not that amazing. It's running OCed Xeons and CAS6 RAM. I get about 18K in 06 but 22K in CineBenchR10...it's a Folding rig dammit. lol.

Thanks guys.

6. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ultra Folder FTW!

7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to ask ya Druid...do the instructions on these new full coverage GFX blocks say to run the tubing on both sides between the two blocks....seems like the water is bypassing them as I pointed out here....
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=56732
    Post #32.

I just wanted to know as I will stop advising otherwise if it is in fact instructed to do so!

CyberDruid says thanks.
  8. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya. All I can say is the temps on each of the 4 GPUs is within reason and much lower than air.

The issue with me plumbing that route is the clearance between the lowest card and the case floor. No room for an elbow even using a Male to Male G 1/4 fitting and delrin L block.

Any of the other PCIe locations just don't work for the Crossfire link (the ribbon cable is too short) except to fit them into the two top slots and although I could probably get the tubing to loop down around and out from the lower card in that location it would add a foot or two to the run...

As it turns out the only way to Xfire the two cards was one in the lowest slot and one in the second slot from the top...this also freed up a PCI slot for the X-Fi card.

As it is I am getting good temps. I will post up shots of each GPU in a moment.

9. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I guess if the temps are too close to see an issue it really doesnt matter. My assumption was that the water can bypass the first block, temps are saying otherwise...thanks for the responce!

10. Sh00t1st

Sh00t1st New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice :p, im wondering what your radiator setup for those looks like, and do you use desani or whatever its called to fill it up or is that just what you drink :) seriously nice setup ::toast: where are da benchy's :), you do use desani huh lol can we get a fin shot of the radiator you use :p

11. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sneekypeet says thanks.
  12. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Very nice work....now I am out of things to say ....is it ok to sit and drool?

13. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I subscribed! You should upload some crysis footage :p or maybe a 3dmark run.

15. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  16. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is what I use top cool the rig.

The metering manifold I built to attach to the cooler. I considered using a prebuilt manifold and I considered using special disconnects and decided to just use what was locally available at this point.

[​IMG]
    It's as low a restriction and as inexpensive a metering device as I could concoct. The 1/2 acrylic enclosure makes it sit upright.

I ran in the rig right away using 3 Storm Waterblocks and then fabricated a simple backplane/control panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The 110VAC is split to two fuses (7A slow blow and 3A slow blow) and then to two water-shielded toggles that send it along to a 100 watt 12VDC PSU and 150 Watt 24VDC PSU. A pair of safety switches interrupt the 24VDC and the 12VDC. A large Ohmite 25W 2A rated Rhesostat controls the 6 Panaflo on the PA 120.3, a smaller 5W rheostat controls the 2 POS fans on the Bonnie Heatercore. The Enlobal intake for the lower compartment runs on full.

I then lined the enclosure with 1" Sonex and reapplied the one removable side panel with industrial velcro. For all intents and purposes the cooler is ready for load testing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :)

17. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    that was excellent to see. VERY nice job

18. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    why dont u show us some others pics of that amazing soldam case? It seems you havent modded it!

20. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    mod a soldam? you crazy?

more pix would be nice though :D

21. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    It's definatley something to appreciate, and I really like how it doesn't seem as if he fussed over the cables. For the bulk, he moved them out of the way then wrapped them. Lining cables is such a waste of time.

My only negative criticism would be that that's way too much cooling hardware both internal and external, for the temperatures being reported.

There's far more simple systems both in theory and practice that would be nearly twice as effective.

I can only hope it's an enthusiast thing :)

BTW Druid did you know you can get ATi colored / logo heat spreaders for 240pin modules? It would look good against the black board with red casing.

22. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    well how would you cool 2 overclocked harpertowns and 4 overclocked RV670 GPU's? :rolleyes:

BTW i think its on a different loop setup now so temps might be different ;)

i said before and ill say again GREAT build Cyber it r0xoRz! :rockout:

23. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah it's cooler now by far. The Triple PA120.3 Cooler is doing the yob.

I dunno I think the Harpertowns are running Hella lot hotter than my QX9650...not sure what that's about. And even after RMAing one of the Harpers I still get one core way higher than all the others. I've reseated the block a number of times and even used Diamond Dust TIM. Not sure man...just don't have a way around it...the bastard is HAWT.

And another part that gets SMOKING is the MCH. On air it was idling at 58C and GAWD knows how hot it got underload since the only way to monitor it is in BIOS... Now that it's under LC it's still pretty warm with an Idle of 38C ambient intake at 26C. Again no clue about load.

ANd the HD 3870X2s idle at about ambient...27C average between the 4 cores, but load up to low 40s. Now on Air we are talking 40-50C idle and 70-80C loads so where does all that heat go now? Into the room lol...no need for heat downstairs at least...

24. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Can I move into your house and become your apprentice?

Really nice work!!!

25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Can you send me a QX9770? I won't even ask to move in. lol.