1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Liquid Cooling Kit for i5-2500k

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by xenocide, Sep 14, 2011.

1. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I plan on getting a Liquid Cooling Kit to replace my Stock cooler and OC my i5-2500k a bit (to about 4.5GHz or so). I'm wondering what is the best setup of the available kits out there. I want a decent balance of performance and low acoustics. I was considering the H70 but apparently it is on par for a Jet Engine in terms of noise. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. random

random

Thanks Received:
    You could always get a H80 and then replace the fans with silent ones.

xenocide says thanks.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
  5. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    I had an H70 to test out, and then I sold it. The person I sold it to later on told me that something inside became warped (i think it was the jetplate) and was hitting the pump impeller giving a 'taky' noise. It mustve warped due to the heat given out by his overclock. Its a recurring issue if you check around the net. Not sure if this is evident in other acetek based pump/block combo.

Id say EK h30 kit.. or XSPC rasa kit if your on a tight budget.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    LordJummy and xenocide say thanks.
  6. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I was leaning towards an All-In-One setup. I don't want to spend a fortune, but still want a good cooling setup. If I had more room on my mobo I would just get a higher-end Air Cooler, but they are always REALLY loud. I've pretty much given up on the H70 since I've heard 0 good things about it :/

EDIT: The H60 is on sale on Amazon for $66, which seems like quite a deal, anyone have experience with said setup?

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I have a Antec 920 with Scythe GT's on instead of the standard PWM fans. - Corsair wont give you PWM control because they want you to buy a product called 'Corsair Link' where you hook up all the fans to a small box sitting in your 3.5" bay and connect that up to an available USB header on your mobo to control and monitor temps and RPM speeds.

Grab a H50 or H70 if its cheap and just put 2 Scythe GTs on in push pull and you got a winning setup. My temps never go above 60'c with regular use. only time where it went around 70'c was when i was doing 12hrs of prime95@ maximum stress. get about 30-35'c idle.

8. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used to use an H70 and then I bought the EK H30 Supreme HF 360 kit. It's technically all in one. It comes in one big box. It is totally worth the money, no contest. Go for a cheaper kit. They make a 120 and a 240 kit also with varying parts depending on budget.

9. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey buddy,i got same chip,2500k, i just bought an antec kuhler h20 620 single fan radiator few days ago,i just installed an extra fan today that i had lying around,so it now has one on top,one underneath,i got temps sitting [according to asus ai softwares]

cpu=21c
    mobo=19c
    its overclocked to=cpu-4738mhz,103.0x46
    gpu=1450mhz,using asus auto ai ,
    bit new to this,dont know if thats a good overclock,?when i went further up to 4900 it bsod,s.

seems pretty stable to me,with the extra fan on,it dropped another 5 c,it cost me round 100$au delivered,going to get 2 better fans too,but dont know what good brand/performance etc

i figure its a good unit so far,and,its not that loud,hope this helps anyhow.

i know what u mean,theres so much to choose from out there,daunting lol!!!:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Why not just go with a Noctua NH-D14. Its silent, and performs great. Better in fact than all these closed loop water coolers.(Except the H100, that can match it)
    I have the same board and there is plenty of space. And i also have a 2600K, overclocked to 4.8ghz, and never see temps above 61°C when gameing, and 73°C under prime blend or ibt. Plus you never have to worry it will ever brake down, which cannot be said for the pumps in the closed water loops.

11. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's actually only slightly better than a few closed loop water coolers, and it depends on conditions. I have a D14 and an H70 (don't use either now) and the H70 got slightly better load temps, so I'm guessing the Antec 920, H80, H100, and a few other coolers easily beat it out.

The NH-D14 is a great and super silent cooler. The OP wanted water cooling though...

12. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    You are probably the only person in the universe that has better temps with a H70 compared to a NH-D14. Not to mention the noise difference. And the H100 is the only one that can beat(for a degree or two) the Noctua, at the cost of higher noise obviously.