1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Little help on an x800 Pro VIVO please?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by TrevorS, Jun 10, 2005.

1. TrevorS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Just picked up a used ATI x800 Pro VIVO and flashed it to the Pro VIVO 16p BIOS. The card is stable to 500/550 with the stock HSF in a VERY warm room (summer time).

I upgraded the HSF to a Zalman VF700 CU, installed the RAM sinks, and added some homebrew air ducting. The GPU temp dropped from 79C to about 52C immediately at completion of consecutive Aquamark3 and 3Dmark2001se runs. The stable clocks at very late night (much cooler ambient) went to 518/560 stable. However, with return of daytime heat, the GPU returned to 500 for stability (MEM held at 560 artifact free).

I'm wondering why the much lower operating temp of the GPU doesn't result in better stable clock results -- especially given room temp appears to be modulating them. Anybody have any idea what my problem is?

Thanks -- Trevor :confused:

2. SPHERE New Member

Thanks Received:
    im guessing on this but it may be a bios flaw caues of the modifaction to 16 pipes (unlikely) but never the less how come u havent flashed it to a xt? that (may) fix the prob yet i state again that it is unlikely :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  3. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    GPU's don't respond to lower temperatures as well as CPU's do. (ATI especially)
    The only time you gain anything with a better cooler is when the GPU is under 50C.
    A temperature change of 10C might only give you another 1Mhz, every core is different.
    If you used arctic silver 5 , you will have to wait a few days/weeks for optimum temps/clocks.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  4. TrevorS New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's an ATI card and I don't see a BIOS for an ATI x9800 XT 500/500 -- yes, that would have been my choice. (Yes, there are other Mfg's 500/500 BIOS's, but I don't have compatibility info.)

Still whereas changing the BIOS can modify RAM behavior via the programmed timings, I don't think there's a similar mechanism for the GPU. I'm pondering raising the GPU voltage a little, but I'd prefer to understand it's behavior first. I was expecting such a tremendous temp drop would gain me at LEAST 10MHz. Dissapointing!

Yes, I'll have to test some more as the HSF compound settles in.

EDIT -- Probably should mention that I received it already flashed to an ATI x9800 XTPE 525/575, but both clocks were unstable. I did my o/c and HSF upgrading with that "original" flash, and only later reflashed to x800 Pro VIVO 16p. There was no apparent degrade in the cards o/c'ability following the VIVO flash.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  5. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are no "GPU timings", a different BIOS won't allow you to clock the GPU any higher. Memory is a different story.
    You should do a VGPU mod, it'll get more clocks out of a video card than any cooler.
    Example:
    My 9800 pro (R350) would only overclock to 403/350 stable @ stock everything (ATITool).
    I voltmodded the GPU from 1.55 to 1.85v and the mem from 2.55 to 2.85v. The card got so hot I had to zip-strip a 80mm vantec tornado to the heatsink to keep it coolish. (stock HSF) My maximum clocks were 420/350 @ about 90 celcius GPU temp. I fitted the card with a Zalman ZM80D with ramsinks and mounted the tornado to that. My gpu clock only went up 15MHz to 435 @ about 50 celcius GPU temp. The memory with the ramsinks went up to 375Mhz. A 40 degree drop did very little for the GPU, a 10 degree drop on the memory did wonders. This is the case with all ATI GPUs unless you pelt them. (never froze an NVidia chip, so I don't know how those respond to temps )

6. TrevorS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Regarding cooling, that's what I saw too, seemingly little impact on the GPU, but a 10MHz gain on the memory. Those sound like considerable voltage boosts. I'm guessing you used trimpots rather than the pencil. Did you try the pencil first and decided it wasn't enough, or did you go straight to the pots?

7. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always solder on pots, they are more precise and safer. I also attach a set of DIP switches to allow enable/disable of the mods. Unfortunaly, my 9800 bit the dust yesterday, at windows startup, while the voltmods were OFF and with stock clocks. Only paid $31 for it(failed Mac mod victim on ebay), so no big loss.
    I'll buy a refurb from newegg, and mod that one (Maybe X800XT, not sure yet).
    Pencil mods can cause intermittents due to expansion and contraction, and make the board unstable. Also, stray graphite chunks can be bad news. The only advantage of a pencil mod is it's reversibility, you can simply erase it. This helps for RMA, but I would never send back a modded card. That's one of the reasons hardware prices are so high. Don't mod anything you're not willing to lose. There's a reason default voltages are default.