1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Little help plz?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Seany1212, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    before we start its a Powercolor 9800SE 256mb. Been having a problem for about a month now, what with im not quite sure but its restricting my gaming :cry: . Anywho, i'll play some games and it will suddenly gain artifacts which quickly amount up to the computer restarting for no reason other than this i suppose, sometimes it'll happen when im just sitting on the XP desktop. Sooooo i can only get this to stable out by underclocking (is that the right word?) my graphics card which will then work fine, so i thought 'hey this is a heat problem' (as i was using stock cooler) so i went out and brought a Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, now i rigged this up and plugged the fan into the power supply, sooo it then decided it wouldnt boot up properly and when it finally did within seconds had it gathered extreme artifacts and restarted, so now im back to stock cooler and underclocked settings. Any ideas?
  2. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    lap the zalman heatsink and put thermal paste with it... many people have problems with that hsf... if u dont no wat lap is, u get a sheet of sand paper and sand the base of the heat sink, then its flatter :)
  3. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    i did, used the whole lot of it. still got the thermal paste on now but back to stock cooler and its running ok but its still underclocked :( . could it be a lack of power problem?
  4. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, first, wipe all of the thermal paste off, take a sand paper and sand the area of the heatsink that contacts the gpu, put the thermal paste back on... u really dont need more than a pea sized drop.
  5. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Alright Im sorry but WTF are you thinking. This guy does not need to lap his heatsink to get good yields. The VF-700 runs flawlessly without lapped. I have one on my x800 Pro vivo flashed to XT and it runs at 36 C idle, loads at 45 C.

What he needs to do is get some artic silver 5, and artic silver thermal cleaner/material remover. Apply that following instructions, and it will run flawlessly.

Lapping the VF-700 is pointless if hes using crappy thermal paste.

Seany don't listen to RPG, he just gave terrible advice. Rpg you can not go tell somone to go lap their heatsink because of heat problems due to bad thermal paste. You have to start with the big things, as for laping a heatsink, not many people have the time to bother with something like that.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  6. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    i thought many people had problems with the contact area of the heatsink being too rough... not flat enough so check the contact area by putting a pea-sized drop and putting the heatsink on, then lift it off and see how much area is covered, if there are holes then lap the heatsink, and u DO need to put quality thermal paste on it too... but not so much because u said u put a crap load on... that is going to short the stuff
  7. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    if non OC then lapping is overkill especially with a zalman.
  8. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    aha i c
  9. Aevum New Member

Thanks Received:
    just get a zalman VF series, or get a artic cooling VGA silencer, get some OCZ Copper ram sinks, and some artic ceramic or zalman CSL850 (you will notice that the 9800 chip has some solderpoints and resistors on the chip itself near the core/die, aluminium/silver/copper based thermal paste is NOT recommended)

now, the secret to applying thermal paste is that its suppose to complement contact, NOT REPLACE IT, a thin layer is recommended, its also recommended that you take a drop and smear it circularly on the base of the heatsink for a while to fill in scratches and grooves (wax on, wax off), with latex gloves or transparent sandwitch wrapping paper, not bare fingers (your fingers have natural grease, dead skin cells, sweat), and then put a thin, almost see trough layer ONLY on the core, wipe any paste that falls off the core with a q-tip and some alcohol/acetone, exposed thermalpaste will harden and cook with the heat,

and thats about it, the art of thermal paste appliance
  10. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those are some good tips Aevum. I never thought about rubbing the paste on the base. I never read that in any articles so the thought never occurred to me. I'll remember that for next time.
  11. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    "(you will notice that the 9800 chip has some solderpoints and resistors on the chip itself near the core/die, aluminium/silver/copper based thermal paste is NOT recommended)"

If you apply thermal paste the correct way you won't fry your card. I've never herd of anyone frying their card from getting thermalpaste on the resistors near the die.

This is by far the best thermal paste application instructions http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

I personally don't like the idea of using a latex glove to smear thermalpaste over the base.
  12. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good call, just make sure not to use the ones with powder on them. Powder = bad!! Personally I just use a brand new plastic sandwich bag (double bagged) and rub it in with that (if you don't have latex gloves).