1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Little OC'ing Problem (Video Card)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by JdPower, Apr 26, 2006.

1. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I just recently got my Sapphire X800GTO AGP card and I got it to 16 pipes. Well I wanted to go further and OC it. My first attempt was successful (450 / 400 [mem/core]). I launched CSS and started playing and it was awesome! Yet, I my mind wonder and wanted to do more OC'ing. So I opened ATItools and hit the "Find max mem" it shot up to about 475 and then slightly went down so I stopped it. Next I hit the "Find max core" and I watched the Lil 3D fuzzy box ;) And all of the sudden the box just went lines of yellow. My understanding is that those are "Artifacts." So before it started that it was fine at 468 so I put it there! After that about 2 mins later my whole Computer just froze!! So I had to hit the restart button. Everything loaded up fine no errors or anything. I immediately went into ATI tools and turned each down to 450/450 and then waited for anything. Nothing happend for 5 mins. I then loaded CSS and started to play for about 10 - 15 mins and it just FROZE again! After that happend I decided that enough of that and loaded Trixx and turned on "Silent" setting. I then went to bed and put the computer to "Hybernate" and in the morning I did not wake up to a frozen screen and everything seemed fine!

So am I doing something wrong here? I havent had exp. with OC'ing Vid Cards just some exp. with OC'ing my AMD proccessor! I havent really explored ATItools so... Any suggested are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Jd
  2. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone??? Please...
  3. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    seems right
    which driver?
    so how long do you have ati tool running before using the clocks?
  4. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    All drivers are up to date. Before I installed the Video card I reformatted so its a clean slate with ALL new drivers! And I have the ATI tool running (the first time) 2-5mins (the 2nd time) 10-15mins. Seems like I could OC it more tho... ?
  5. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I figured it out. I have ATI tool version 0.25 beta, and I honestly dont think my system liked that version. The box was laggy and seemed to run sluggish! So i uninstalled and installed beta 0.24 version and it seems like it works perfect. OC it to 440/569 and runs good at 40/39 at idle and at load 49. CSS runs smooth and clean @ max 100fps low 75fps.

Jd
  6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its best to find your max core and memory manually.. raise the slider bar and set the speed.. do it one at a time.. watch the furry dice.. when u see artifacts knock it back a bit..

the memory will nearly always show artifacts well before crashing.. the core might just crash.. either way u know the limit of each for real..

run a few 3Dmarks to stability test then play some games.. if i all works its okay.. if not u have to slow thing down till it does.. run at least %5 slower than your actual artifact or crash points..

trog
  7. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks trog...

I played CSS on the 440/569 for some hrs and stability is good. No crash no exiting of the game. I did a stress test that they have (not like the 3dmark, but its something) and came back with an avrg. 85fps. You think I could bump it up some? I have 100% fan on and its idles at 40-45, at load the highest i've seen is 58. I have a PCI fan card w/ 2 fans (vantec) that I can plug in and I am sure it will help.

I adjusted the core clock first but I was doing it with the "Find Max Core" button. I will do manully. How high do you think I could go? same with Mem.

thanks agian trog

Jd
  8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    set either the memory or core at lower than known safe speeds.. slowly raise the other one in small steps at a time.. do it while running the dice it heats up your card and is a basic test.. u will find a point at which artifacts appear or the card simple crashes.. note that point.. lower the thing u have been testing down to that known safe speed or lower.. then do the same thing with then other part..

u find the max point for each.. core and memory.. knock %5 of of both max points and try em both together.. it takes a few days of real gaming usage before u find the nice sweet spot between max speed and stable running..

the gain from pushing to close to the edge is okay for benching.. but for normal gaming i always run about 7% below the instability points..

u wont damage anything.. just do it slowly and carefully..

trog