1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Live in America? Get ready to pay the government for the eleventybillionth time.

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by hat, May 1, 2009.

1. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Wait, are we getting a rebate check?
    Thats all i want to know, i may lived in America, but i am not from America, thus making me not an American, so i could less about all that other stuff, i want that check. I want to use it for something :)

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    And this was up yesterday:
    http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/29/news/economy/gdp/index.htm?postversion=2009042908

GDP fell almost as much in Q1 '09 as it did in Q4 '08 (ecomony remains on a downward slide).

Make less, taxed more: The democratic way.

Chrysler filed for bankruptcy today as GM continues downsizing. Ford's picture shouldn't be in that poster. They're the only ones doing halfway decent right now. :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    And that's only because they're the only US manufacturer making anything worth buying right now. lol.

5. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    :shadedshu This post has most likely flushed any and all good reputation you had down the toilet of tpu.

Nick89 and thebeephaha say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ford's only in a decent position because their new CEO already went through all this crap when he still was with the airline industry . . . he was smart enough to take out a massive loan from the banks and set the money aside . . .

although, Ford is still losing money - they just have a nest-egg to take from ATM.

GM is downsizing faster than a freekin anorexic right now . . . you gotta at least give them credit for making a massive effort to keep their bloated ass above water . . .

still, though, none of the 3 companies would be in this mess if the banks had actually started lending after they recieved their bailout funds . . . but, they didn't, and without the big 3 capable of acquiring any loans from the banks, their asses were shot.

Good riddance to Chrysler, though - this isn't the first time they've begged the government for aid. As much as I'm starting to get fed up with the whole ordeal as well . . . GM can still be extremelly competitive with the imports - but that false notion about their poor build quality and reliability needs to finally be disspelled . . . it's given the general populace a bad impression of the company, and one that's been falsely founded for more than a decade now.

7. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:

Ummm, it's called a joke. ;)

9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
  10. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    we here at TPU don't have a sense of humor . . . that we're aware of . . .

:p

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    *sigh* My comment was a sarcastic remark about the quality of GM and Chrysler cars. It had shit all to do with economics. I don't frankly care what happens to the big 3, or where they have invested.

They shouldn't get the bailouts, period, not because of where they invested their money, but because bad business should fail. Plain and simple.

Nick89 and viczulis say thanks.
  12. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    My comment was about the only reason Ford has not failed is they took their business overseas to the same companies/countries the US goverment is borrowing from, and that will eventually own the US.

I agree, no bailouts. Get the unions under control, and the manufacturing sector back in the US, loosen some regulations on horrible ideas for the EPA and other parts of the goverment that are helping to drive out the plants, and get people used to the idea that everyone can't have every new gadget they crave.

13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    They didn't sell out to China, they expanded to China. They now work jointly with Chinese company to build and sell cars in China--the fastest growing market in the world. That's a huge boost to Ford's bottom line in the long run.

Like most other companies, they build outside of USA (unskilled labor) and design in the USA (skilled labor). That is happening because unskilled labor doesn't pay enough to live in the USA. The company has to pay exorbitant amounts of money for labor that are substantially lower everywhere else. Manufacturing has been on the down and out for decades in the USA. That's what happens when a society becomes post-industrial.

And remember the tariffs. If you build a car in one country and ship it to another, there's thousands of dollars in tariffs tacked on to the deal. If you build it in the same country it is sold, you dodge the tariffs entirely.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Again back to the idea that everyone can't have all the new gadgets. Pay a worker on the floor $14 and a 40 hour week, plus his spouse works part time and they can make it. People today have the notion they need every new thing that comes out and want to make $60K a year donig simple work, and as long as the labor unions have the industry by the throat they will get it, untill the company moves out. then you have the economy as we see it today, and unemployemnt.

Great, now all these 50-150K households are forced to scale back, and with a home payment that costs more than a Wal-mart or 7-11 pay can make, they are in shit loads of trouble. had they been less greedy and planned better they would have a home for less, and not the average $8K of credit card debt.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/SavingandDebt/P70581.asp

The US is still headed for a huge bust, the economy has been floating on a credit spree for too long. Now it is time to pay the piper. This recession is just things getting back to how they should be to remain sustainable and stable. Bring it on, but more. Jack the gas prices back up, get those idiots driving a huge SUV at 10MPG broke faster so we can get on with life sooner. they will lose their home, cars, job, and be out in the gutter. But the economy will no longer be propped up with thier false sence of flashy living and new toy purchases.

15. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    No they are giving it in tax breaks this year. If you are on unemployment then you get an extra 25 dollars a week.

16. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh so the Government over there gave the stimulus package to citizens as well.

They did that over here to, BUT they gave the $900 to people that already have jobs, they didn't give it to people that don't have jobs that REALY needed it and would spend it to stimulate the the economy, not 1 cent, thanks Kevin Rudd :shadedshu

17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    im gettin tired of this shit man

. . . . not again:(

obama's "change" . . . . sucks

its better to get no money at all

18. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Obama is only trying to prop up the economy as it was going for so long, on a never ending feel good credit spree. It isn not his fault that it ended, and the average dumbass american is crying for their new toys and endless supply of McLife supplemented by Ilife and group therapy for their dogs, kids, and enough prozac to make a mummy stand up and feel great.

This farce of how bad Obama is doing needs to stop, I don't even take part in the political cesspool this country has and I can see the shit he has been handed and now everyone is knocking him for trying. But no one else wants to step up. And yet everyone acts like it's his fault the economy is still fucked from years of neglect and paying more attention to the wants and not the needs.

Face it, the US needs more and better roads/schools/infrastructure and the last president did shit to make it happen, relying on when it broke fix it, and the private sector to try and suck as much money as they could out of the customer. I am still stuck at a business that has to use wireless internet as nothing else is available, and the company who provides internet wants 50+K to pull us a T1 line, and has no plans of bringing DSL or any other form of high speed internet close. Yet they act like they are doing us a favor by giving us 8Mb down in some areas for as slow as $49 a month. Other places in the world it costs less for over 10X the speed. And we have a fiber trunk running no more than a mile away, that who paid for? It sure as hell wasn't the private sector, it was the taxpayer.

19. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I know that but it seems every time he tries to help, money gets lost in translation, do you know what I mean, the problem we got in this country is greed, pure greed

he keeps trying to help and all these ceo's keep taking advantage of it and then they try to cover it up just go get caught later, but If they were doing all this stealing behind the scenes before, no wonder were in all this trouble right now.

I like obama, but he needs to show a tougher side more often, I'm not blaming obama I just want to see him get tough and show these dirty bastards that he is not playing anymore.

and yes we all know our last president was a retard.

and I think ford is next,

in order to fix this mess our whole economy is going to need a drastic change

the future is not looking bright

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  20. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Chrysler
    They were bought for 6 billion that's what they are worth. We give them 4 Billion, and now they are going to give them 8 billion more, and then only expect half of that back 4 billion, from a company that is only worth 6 billion to begin with.

Lets not forget stock holders"WHO LOST EVERYTHING" that they have not said ONE WORD ABOUT! Just think of all the normal people that had their life savings in with the company.....

I know that he wants to keep them afloat to save jobs, but come on printing all this money is madness. PLUS giving that much money to a company that isn't even worth that much....

21. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    Being VERY close to the Auto industry, I could write a post that would make your heads swim. But, it is a moot point now isnt it.

Ford will survive. At least the economy. It will be the government that eventually kills it.....

22. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Our government is awesome and Obama rocks.*Waits for most people on TPU to kick my @$$*

23. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup :toast:

My best friend and his gf are making it on 2 $8 an hour paychecks quite fine. My family (not me) are living in an RV with no AC and barely keeping afloat over their debt on a $10 an hour and $8.50 an hour paycheck. Low electric bills, low food bills (i dont live there anymore), low gas bills (gas prices lower), no house payment anymore, lower cell phone bill (on my own plan), one insurance bill (for their truck) and they still cant make it. All because of what you where just saying. Kinda sad really.

Here im looking at a "house" that will cost me 7 grand and ill prolly own by the time Christmas rolls around and flat out own my car at 21. Oh wait, and since im on their land ill have that too since ill pay the bill to cover my own ass. All at 21. Now if they had smart thinking like that from the beginning they wouldnt be in this position. I plan to set my life up for this crisis we call an economic failure. They, obviously didnt.

I know it seems like a rant but its only to further prove Steevo's point. Everybody wants things they cant afford and put it on the plastic thinking they can cover it later. If this is stopped our economy will go back up but i feel another great depression coming on and hopefully im prepared for it.

24. Drizzt5

Drizzt5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    We need to bring FDR back from the dead....

25. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    We need to bring back Hard Work from the dead. I remember when I wanted money I went and found work for it, at some point just asking for a hand out is enough.

I hope that the leading economists can work harder than they have ever in their life to address the current status. Surely hard work will pay off in the long run.