1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Live in America? Get ready to pay the government for the eleventybillionth time.

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by hat, May 1, 2009.

1. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:

They make less than I do, but if/when push came to shove I could make it on $10 a hour and the wife working part time. I have almost no credit card debt, and the debt I do have is on terms, for example the sears card, and I just paid 1/3 of that off, and Sears (Citibank) is so hungry they are giving a extra 20% off to good customers who make over the minimum payments. So I purchase goods on sale, get a extra 10% off, and now when they are on terms with almost a year left and I was planning on paying it off anyway, they give me another 20%.......

How can people fuck this up so badly? Get good credit, and wait a bit for what you want.

I bought a King Size bed and Egyptian cotton sheets from Sears, saved 50% on the bed, plus a 5% coupon they sent, plus 10% for using my card online, and now 20% off that.

So a bed that cost $2700 normally, less 50% ($1350), less 5% ($135), less 10% ($270), stacked discounts none the less for a total of $945, and now less 20% for a final total of $756!!!

On the other hand my dumbass brother blew his income and tax rebate/stimulus on a plasma and PS3, and they now have one running car. Living in a 20X45 trailer.

I am hoping next week to trade my wife's Highlander for a newer one that has the third row seat. And with a year difference and 6K more miles on ours we should still have a grand left over for buying right, and overpaying.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  2. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont give a fuck what you say Stevo you cant buy yourself out of debt. Thats what Opinhead is doing. My house, 3 SUVs are all paid off. (Yes SUVs and I love them) All my credit cards are paid off from gold cards up. Yes USA is in trouble from spending/ credit. It is what it is blaming people is not going to fix it. From government on down needs to stop spending money. Fuck getting control on unions get rid of them make them compete if they cant get out. If any one needs help its the small guy. Dont know about you most of the mom & pops places are drying up they need the help/breaks not the crooks that made our government rich.

Hell I got money in bank I want a new truck but I will not buy while our dumbass government is spending more than what we have. Down size government and get union out would be the best start Opinhead could do. Most of that money for roads etc is stated union has to do it, hell we wont get any near what we could or should get done with union. Thats just FUCKed up.
    Steevo says thanks.
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    as a business, you must ship all of your operations out of the country in order to survive on a global scale. the govt does not get this so it prints $1 trillion. we are rome.
  4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    You want Government to get smaller and yet to control the private sector? Impossible.

Tax the shit out of large money makers and gougers, let the private sector be. What will eventually happen is the companies will either go belly up and competition from the mom&pop's places will overtake them, or they will be forced to make less. People will eventually work for what is realistic under this arrangement, but getting there will be a hellacious bumpy ride for some.
  5. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    He put the tax rate at 90% for anyone making over 300 grand a yr
  6. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    FDR made the depression last longer by misallocating resources which screwed with supply and demand. we dont want him back.
  7. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    If people dont spend then there isnt money to be given. Simple as that. So if everybody starts saving all their money and not spending as much companies lose money and jobs then get cut to cut costs. The problem is OVER spending. Spend what you need to survive not buy some stupid Escilade that you cant afford.
  8. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    partly true. consumerism is only part of the equation. if you save your money by putting it in a bank or investing it in the stock market then it goes toward companies.
  9. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which dont need the money. So back to my point where we need to spend on the items we NEED, not want. The companies dont need anymore besides the money they get from you buying their product. Thats the problem people tend to forget. These companies getting the money from the gov already have billions. What do they need more for? They dont.
  10. Drizzt5

Drizzt5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    FDR poops out money, we wont have to work.
  11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Companies need startup capital, and venture capital, and one large way they get it is to sell stock on the publicy traded market, and when people do not invest these companies are not going anywhere. So without investment there can be no next industrial revolution to raise us out of this shit. And there is/was no investments for a long time as the general populace was to busyrspending money helping the large companies become larger and demand more for their products. IE Apple, MS, Sun, IBM, Oracle, GE, Shell, etc...... So now we have a era of consumerism being brought to a screeching halt and no money to invest in future companies who will force competition in this country as the larger companies have sent manufacturing overseas, pushed by the same people who were purchasing their goods as they wanted better working environment, less pollution, stricter standards, easier working conditions, etc....

So we have a time where we need to save and invest, but 43% are still living beyond their means, banks won't loan to get things off the ground, so no new jobs, jobs have been lost as companies have moved away to remain the pig profit centers they are, and our infrastructure is mediocre at best.

No matter what anyone says or does here we are loosing this war, and the only way out is down first. And that requires investment in the future, and people are whining they won't be able to afford the new Ipood and to pay more in taxes to fix the bridge that is going to collapse. So who is right, do we need to invest, or get failing consumerism going again?
  12. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ Steevo I do not want them to control private sector. Thats one of the biggest problems them into the private sector. How dare they put union to fix roads thats bullshit let the bid process work. Schools again union am I right. Everything government touches they screw up other than military.

I would also say who ever went out and spent there money that they didnt have, on credit. Lost everything by now. Lesson learned.

I'm sorry I dont think over taxing the rich is the answer. They pay most of the taxes now.

Look at California the trouble that state is in. But yet government got 40 % bigger since whats his name got there.

Most of our trouble is government getting to big and making rules that make it harder on businesses where they cant compete. Also all states should have right to work fuck the union.

Here's good example of union with out telling you who I work for etc. Union step in and wanted work. They could not compete with us, so they went to the company we do a lot of work with and told them you either start using us or we'll get unions together and go to your competition. Basically what they do to walmart. And thats bullshit we lost 1/3 of or work force because of that, we now work with union in certain states.

I'm beginning to think we should go to the fair tax, get rid of income tax and raise taxes across board. That way they can get money from the crooks that cheat on taxes but yet buy all the fancy houses cars boats etc.

But government has to start running government like a business cant just keep throwing money away. If it dosent work get rid of it, plain and simple. If they get caught with hand in cookie jar kick them out. (barney franks) and so on so on.
  13. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    We need to get rid of stock and borrowing altogether. Its what put this country down the first time and itll do it agian. The biggest problem this country has is right there. To much spending what we dont have and using everybody else money.
  14. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    No PP if you work hard and you want something by all means you should get it. Thats why were a great country. But we as a people are wanting things for free from our government or from people that have more than us and thats not right.
  15. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stocks need to stay like steevo said companies need it to grow

sorry I know double post I bad
  16. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    You actualy deal with the public? Probably not.

People buy things they cant afford way to much and what they dont realize is they are just following in the stock markets foot steps. Buying things you worked for is ok, but buying things you simply cant afford is retarded and is why were in a downward spirlal. No, we dont need the stock. They just want you to think we need it to get more money.

Companies never needed it to grow. Go back to days of old and we wont have any more depressions. When people buy your product you grow. You expand as more people buy your product. Not borrow money from sue joe and billy to pay off peter paul and sandy for the money they lent you to expand on a product thats probably gonna fail and piss off everybody in the end. When nobody buys your product you cant pay off that debt, which makes those people who lent you money in debt as well or just severly pissed off. Theres a huge ding in your credit that a life time probably wont help. Bam, theres our economys problem.

There is no American dream. Only the dream you create. Keep your shit clean and you can make that dream a reality with no help from big investors, drug money, or gov stimulus. Work hard for what you want, dont wait for hand outs. Go sell that car you cant afford for one you can afford. Same for that big house. If our rich and wealthy did this (from those big companies) we wouldnt have these problems of today. No instead they want the gov to hand out money to pay their checks to pay for those things they really cant afford. So in the end the people on the bottom of the todom pole (me and you) suffer for that Mercedes your wealthy dosent really need.
  17. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I always wonder what that meant anyway, the American Dream?
  18. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Stock for getting money is not a bad idea at all, but the idea the government needs to secure or provide trust to large companies public trading worth is complete shit.

The commodity futures is one the public should not be playing with. I believe the government should be in that, controlling the excess, using it as trade with other countries for relief and a form of payment. Money after all is just a replica of goods trade.
  19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    the world spent and borrowed to much, companies expanded and where badly managed during the time of expansion

now all the places want their cash back and want you to spend at the same time which is impossible

the world will sort itself out in years to come but it needed this to give itself a kick up the back side

people want more than they need or can afford in modern times because there is so much variety and products

Chrysler needs to die! in Europe there is no Chrysler lol, i only hope Ford survives at least in Europe it has what it takes to survive with the big dogs like Volksvagen
    More fuel efficient cars that dont cost a bomb to buy and keep

people in America are the only nation i know that loves a giant car, i remember the SUV craze of the 90s and then there was a lot of tv programs about suv crashes and saftey not being so good

its like in england they had a craze for jeeps and land rovers at the start of the millennium now its terribly out of fashion due to global warming

you love your big cars and sedans/saloons you are going to find it near impossible to adjust to other cars
  20. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Coming to American and being able to get the things you normaly wouldnt be able to get anywhere else. Cause those countries arent stupid. My parents always said the plastic in my wallet would put me in debt. No, thats only half true. It can either hurt you tremendously or help you a great deal. If you dont go wild and go on spending sprees thinking you can afford it at the end of the month then you can gain credit to get by in this world. Most people come here, get a card, spend a ton of money, and wonder why their life is in the shitter and they arent living "The American Dream". Seen it a bunch of times in my short life time already.
  21. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol i still want my Texas Sized Truck but due to it being retarded to have im not getting one :roll:
  22. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    The problem now is sell to who? We as a nation have been living on the sweat and hard work of other nations for years. Do we return the BMW to Germany when we can't afford the payments? the dealer going broke as well, laying off al his employees?

Same for all sectors, I agree let the overextended fail and crash, let the doom hit. but when that happens we need to be building on the other side, and with nowhere to go, and no building we will not get back up. New jobs created by investments made in new tech, and businesses. By all means burden the shit out of a CEO who gets 50 million a year plus bonuses, out of a football player who makes more in a short career than most make in a lifetime.

Give that to the system to use for good.
  23. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I deal with the public every day more than I care to. lol what does that got to do with it.

Anyways I disagree with stock it is a must. Also we all need credit at some point. You dont have some type of credit you will struggle your whole life. Trust me been there. Credit used wisely you can make your dream come true.

We need people to get back to working hard and spending wisely. Most kids these days dont know what working hard means. lol They what everything handed to them. Not saying you I'm just telling you thats my experience.
  24. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Yes, credit is a god thing. It can make or break your life in many instances. Companies have the same need, the company I work for makes a good chunk, but we have to have working capitol.
  25. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Steevo I pretty much agree on everthing you said of late. But where is all of our tax dollars going to right now. I mean they tax the shit out of us. Roads should be better managed with money they are already taxing us with.