1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

'Locked' AMD Zambezi Silicon Being Branded As New Phenom II Line

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    Keeping the phenom name is fair enough, keeping the II is stupid, it is not of that architecture, its like intel calling the upcoming ivy bridge chips pentium 3
  2. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
  3. Nesters New Member

Thanks Received:
    K12 is a win, but it's not just the chip which has been improved...
  4. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    So I guess AMD is cleaning up the mess the old marketing team left behind. Bringing out the FX name just to hype up a CPU that was quite underwhelming. Although this doesn't make much sense either, it would of made more sense to name them Phenom III, since there's been a new number for a new generation of CPUs before.

So these locked CPUs, are they like the old locked ones, where the multiplier is locked, but the Bclk is not? Or are both locked like on Intel's locked CPUs?
  5. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, they drug the FX brand through the dirt, so they might as well fuck up the Phenom II line as well.

I think that this is all part of a brilliant strategy to lower expectations.
  6. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    Nope no Bulldozer will be called Phenom

Piledriver has two versions called Viperfish(Opteron and FX) and Trinity(A10, A8, A6, A4, and E2)

Athlon, Phenom, and Sempron are dead names after next year. (Athlon will only exist in OEM sector)
    Yellow&Nerdy? and Super XP say thanks.
  7. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    for mid/low end pcs these are gonna sell like hot cakes. I really feel that AMD are trying to make do with the current series, and i wish them the very best. This should let them fund the development of a better CPU architecture.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    No, not true, the Phenom II does not outperform the FX line of CPU's. Bulldozer outperforms PII in more benchmarks vs. PII outperforming Bulldozer. Anyhow we all know FX needs some serious tweaking via B3 stepping.

This better not be true, why on earth would AMD go back into calling CPU's Phenom ?
  9. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

This is a little old but B2.G and B3 is both considered some what fixed

B2.G like just came out and B3 is within two months
  10. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Viperfish...seriously? Is there a meaning to any of these names? Even Sandy bridge and Ivy Bridge? Not getting it here...:confused:
  11. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    There are meanings but...other than Orochi which means 8 heads/8 tails => 8 Cores My brain explodes at Viperfish and Trinity(I was thinking CPU/IMC/GPU improvements(Trinity has better cores, better IMC and better iGPU)

Viperfish -> Light or Faster or Deeper pipeline(I'm just leaning on faster on this one, there is no sign of them increasing the stage pipeline in the K15hSOG or using optical pins)

Trinity is certain but Viperfish isn't so certain(It might be called something else but the GCC update for K15.1 said Viperfish+Trinity New ISA support)
  12. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They're internal code names, so before they start releasing press releases no one knows what they're on about if an email or internal document gets leaked.
  13. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, if it costs the same to make a high end chip as it does to make a low/medium end chip, why do they not cost the same?
  14. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's called business.

It's why when you go to the store and buy something that costs pennies to produce they charge you £2 for it :laugh:
  15. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Nah it feels more like buying a mouse for £300 and two months later they release it again for £15 only with the right button glued stuck.
  16. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    It is usually because the low/medium end chips are using the same die as the high end chip

The cost to produce a FX-4100, FX-6100, FX-8100(OEM), FX-8120, FX-8150 are all the same but the quality of silicon is different do which is not stable

FX-4100 -> $129.99
    FX-6100 -> $179.99
    FX-8100 -> $199.99
    FX-8120 -> $219.99
    FX-8150 -> $245.99

All of them use the same die but you usually are going to get more bad yields than good yields

More Yield, Less Quality*
    v
    Less Yield, More Quality*

The same goes for the i7 3930K and the i7 3960X

Intel is going to be making alot more i7 3930Ks than i7 3960Xs because the i7 3930K requires less effort for the process to achieve the standpoints making more yields

*Not always the case majority of the time the higher end stuff can have less quality than the lower end stuff do to leakage with high clocks but Quality can also be used to say how much features are enabled....as well(4 Cores with half the possible L1 and L2 caches enabled vs 8 cores with all the L1 and L2 caches enabled)
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  17. dirtyferret

dirtyferret New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm guessing you are either 1. joking, 2. on drugs, or 3. very stupid. Let's hope it's the former rather then the latter as the phenom II x4 outperforms the FX-8 in most games (just about every popular one) and the phenom II x6 outperforms the FX-8 in just about anything (im sure there are 1-2 synthetic benchmarks) that is multi-core optimized.
  18. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Horrible naming scheme:

1) The processor number does not reflect the number of cores
    2)The Phenom 2 name does not reflect the new instructions...

They should have used the Duron name to properly represent their market position...
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    It's like AMD has taken an arrow to the knee the fools -__-
  20. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I came from a 1055t and the 8120 is definitely better.

As soon as APM is shut off in the bios ( stops the cpu down-clocking under load)

It's not all that bad, IPC is 10% lower than phenom II* but bulldozer can potentially clock 20% higher.

I only really get crap results in things that use older code (for example super pi, my phenom x6 done a lot better in that)

How ever in all the games I have I've had no performance loss :toast:

* 4.4ghz BD has similar IPC to 4ghz Phenom.

4.4ghz is REAL easy on BD though, the fx8150 is a waste of time, but the price difference between 1100t and fx8120 is justified IMO.
    nt300 says thanks.
  21. Thefumigator

Thefumigator

Thanks Received:
    That's because you have to set affinity in one core of each module, when testing a quad threaded application like games and other.

Personally, I haven't seen many applications using more than 4 cores.

So when these 4 threaded applications start running on CPU 0,1,2,3 of bulldozer, they are not running optimally, as 0 and 1 are from the same module, 2 and 3 are from the 2nd module. 3rd and 4th modules aren't being used. The optimally way of running these applications/games is setting afinity to cpu 0, 2, 4, 6

Unless they use 8 threads.
    nt300 says thanks.
  22. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Do you have Bulldozer?
    It what the 2 posters above me post say. Bulldozer is new, give it some time to mature and it should perform even better. Recommending a Phenom II over a FX is bad advice imo. Its good to see FX selling very good. AMD can't meet demand, this should further motivate AMD to make it even better with future Piledriver.

Real world Benchmarks, FX does well enough as long Price is right.
    Drugsh says thanks.
  23. Drugsh

Drugsh New Member

Thanks Received:
    If amd price them well...they can easily take on intel's entry level processors like core i3s nd some of i5s :toast:
  24. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get very confused when it comes to amd cpu,s, ill have to brush up on whats what, this thread helps, thanx!
  25. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    urrm because games really demonstrate a CPUS raw performance huh :laugh:

Bullshit. According to Techspot the AMD Bulldozer beats out the Phenom II X6 in EVERY synthetic benchmark (except x264 HD).

http://www.techspot.com/review/452-amd-bulldozer-fx-cpus/page7.html

This is where you say "Techspot cant be trusted. That is just 1 website". :roll: