1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Locking Up during video, is this RAM issue? (Have maturity in this post)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Atnevon, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Ok. Just so I can get as much details about my problems, I wont beat around the bush.

I play WoW, so at the end of a session, I run an Auction house Scan.

Anywho, whenever sometimes I get a movie, my system will completely freeze. Its only during video, so I'm not to sure what my problem could be. I think it could be a RAM overload, and cause it to lick up like it does, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

-Andrew

EDIT: content changes

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check controll panel > administrative options > event viewer > system (or applications), for an error logged that may have caused the shut down event. Post results here.

BTW thanks for the Action House Scan hint...My kids are gonna like that.

:toast:

3. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Its called Auctioneer. Makes life great. I'll try to find that now.

4. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Ok. So this has to be a video probelem. I was playing WoW, and watching a recording of the Bathurst Race. It is about a 2 hour movie, but at 320 in hight. So it s not that big. About 540megs total.

Now here is exactly what happend.

My Moniter went blank, like the connection cutting out. The audo continued for about 30 seconds more. Then got into a loop, and my post speaker beeped, and load beeps went through the speakers.

I hit the reset button on my case immediantly, and all is normal agian. My specs are on the side tab, and I run XP Pro 32bit.

Man this is weirding me out, I have no Idea what could be going on. Should I just call EVGA now since it is video related?

5. man114 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like the video, my sister just got her laptop back after similar odd problems and the video on the mobo bit the dust. Still check the airflow around the video card and make sure its not getting too hot. If you push it and its not getting proper cooling it will lock up and do all sorts of odd things. I'd even go so far as to reseat the card (I had an old Cirrus AGP card I used to use to test unknown mobos and it would sometimes not seat right and thus crash, POST beeps and so on).

As far as RAM I just had a ram chip go south for no apparent reason. Just started doing memory dumps and other weird blue screens after which the system would lock into a loop of rebooting error rebooting. Never got a post beep or anything. Didn't even have to do anything terribly stressing to the system, sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't, made it hard to figure out. Eventually I pulled the RAM chips and sure enough that was the problem. Ran diagonstic and one of the chips failed (and a relatively new one at that).

6. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    You mention reseating the card. Please do not think I sound condescending, but I am proud of my 8800GTX temps. People usually complain about 80c, but my load never gets above 65, I idle around 50. This is what believes me to think it could not be temps or air. Its dam cold. I assume it must be the card now and not the ram, because it is only a video issue, not ram. Te display cutting off was my indicator of this.

I guess I'll cal EVGA and see what they say. They don't have Gold Tech support for nothing.

7. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    u could run memtest just to be sure

8. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Video playblack is generally not nearly as taxing to a video card as 3D rendering. If you can game without incident, then it's probably not your hardware.

On the other hand, with the bazillion and one different codecs, players, and drivers floating around odds are good that your problem stems from a software issue of some kind. I'll assume that you're running the latest release grade (i.e. non-beta) drivers for your video card.

So has this happened more than once? Is it random or can you specifically reproduce the issue? What are you using to play back videos? Have you tried more than one player? Do you have any extra codecs, codec packs or other special video software installed?

9. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:

Have to agree with ya Graogrim. I had similar issues awhile back and it was a codec issue. Ya might want to check your drivers,etc. for updates.

10. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    ok so i got off the phone with evga, and they told me the same thing. find some other codecs, and update my mobo and graphic drivers. so far so good. no problems yet. So all assume it was the codecs. Strange, I guess there could have been a conflict.

11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Not strange really...codecs can be a nightmare as different programs may load different codecs and such. I actually just had to fix my G/F's PC because I got her a program to re-encode movies to her Zune 30GB, it killed the WMP11 codecs so that no video could be watched in WMP, an attempt to do such would cause WMP to crash. A simple install of a popular codec pack fixed that problem though...I forget the name of it atm..if I remember, I'll letcha know.

:toast: