1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lockup For No Reason

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by surfsk8snow.jah, Dec 11, 2007.

1. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    So I've started experiencing this with my new build. Specs are as in Profile, using 64-bit XP
    All of the sudden, the whole system will freeze, whether during initial startup and load of startup programs, or after hours/days of computer running. And it's not during any one action... it's happened while using firefox, starting a game, just booting up... anything.

And the whole system just literally freezes; G15 LCD Time stops. Only fix is reboot.

I checked the Event Viewer, and the only errors I see are with the DCOM Local Service... and I get a bunch of those throughout my running time, not just right before freeze or anything. Would that be the cause?

Attached is a picture of my Running Process in Task Manager. I've googled each one with no bad ones coming out of it, but if anyone knows of anything? I know there's too many running, I'm working on that, but at the same time, that's why I bought an uber quad-core, to run a billion processes at once.

Help? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Edit: For Clarification, I have installed all the latest drivers for video card, sound card, wireless adapter, mobo (latest bios), .
    Also, I have Overclocked Nothing yet. I haven't barely touched BIOS except to enable RAID.

Attached Files:

2. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    any help or ideas? It happened again last night in the middle of a Civ4 game.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you run any RAM tests lately?
    Try running Memtest86+ for awhile and see if you get any errors.
  4. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    I ran general stress-tests for a while before, for an entire night actually (Prime95), but haven't done a MemTest. I'll start it up tonight for I head to bed and let you know what happens

Thanks for trying to help
  5. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, check the Ram, one stick at a time...
  6. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    ai that'll take me 4 nights then, but I guess it's worth it. I'll have to get something to label them so I don't get confused lol.
  7. Necrofire

Necrofire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, ram doesn't have to be overclocked to be unstable, I'd say it's the timings.

Just test all 4 sticks at once, if you fail the test, take two out, that'll save at least one night.

EX: 4 fail, 2 fail, one works, it's the other one.
    EX: 4 fail, 2 works fine, other one fails. then you got it.
  8. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    I like the diagnostic algorithm. I forget which type of algorithm that is, sort or search. lol

anyways, started memtest86+ last night with all 4 sticks before I went to bed, woke up this morning, and after 8hrs, it had no errors. So, left it on while I went to work, and we'll see what happens when I get home. It should be about 17-18hrs by that point.
    If there are no errors by then, can I conclude it's not my RAM sticks?
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's some of those programs ya running. Like dam why the hell so many lol ?.

nTune
    iTunes

Are to that in the past have coursed errors for me. Why not shut some of that sh*t off and see if the problem goes away. As you have loads that you don't even need running there.
  10. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    Ok ya I'll check that out. Get some of that stuff off the startup process. Who knows maybe some of it conflicts.

And I don't ever use nTune, so not like i'll miss that.
  11. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    Ok so memtest86+ ran for 23hrs:30minutes, and found ZERO errors. My RAM is definitely good.

Still have to check try the programs thing tho, as my comp's just been running memtest for the last full day.

I think I am gonna start playing with my timings a little bit on them tho. I KNOW they can go faster than they are.

Here's one thing I thought of, regarding memory only. They are rated 1066MHz. My board (evga a1) supports 1066, but "only SLI certified." so if it senses the SLI certified digit as a 1 on the chips, then it reads them as 1066. If it senses a 0, then it pushes them down to 800MHz. So, my 1066 sticks are reading at 800MHz. So, I'm going to go into BIOS & manually bump them up to the 1066 they should be at, and see if they changes anything.
  12. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    you could prob use spd tool to edit your rams bios to have that flag to enable 1066
  13. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    What's SPDTool? Briefly Googled it, but couldn't find anything definitive.
  14. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    heh
    Our very own W1zzard coded it, in the Motherboards/Memory section I believe

maybe it's a hard drive issue??
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
  16. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    Sheesh, i sure as heck hope not. I'm running (2) WD-Raptor 150gb in RAID 0 for boot. How would I go about diagnosing that? HDD-Tach?

And I'm interested in that SPD tool. Looking into it, I guess I'll check it out and see if I can fiddle with the timings in there. In general, is it a better idea to use BIOS settings first, and then modifiy SPD data?
  17. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    As an update, it still happens, more rarely now thankfully, but last night, got a BSD after leaving the comp on for a few hours. It was talking about memory... I don't understand I performed full memtest for almost 24hrs.