1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lockup In Any Game! :/

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by goatee, Sep 11, 2006.

1. goatee

goatee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I posted this over at the Guru3D forums but haven't got an answer. So I thought I could try over here :)

I've been having this problem which appeared randomly the last week after having my system running perfectly for about 3-4 months.

During any benchmark or game the pc will crash without a BSOD after about 2-3mins. Only way to recover is a hard reset. This happens all the time and randomly a game (or benchmark) will go on for a bit longer, say 10mins. On top of that, CCC crashes when I try to open it (actually it says the CLI is the cause).

Under 2d usage everything works fine, even system demanding tasks.

A few things I should make clear:

* I've got latest Catalyst installed.
    * .NET 2.0 Framework installed
    * I've tried flashing back the card to a Pro with the same results
    * I've tried maxing the fan speed with ATI Tool. Same results.
    * I've done a clean WinXP install. Yep, same results.

My temps are:

* Idle GPU: ~51
    * Load GPU: ~75
    * Idle CPU: ~40
    * Load CPU: ~55

Any idea what's going on anyone?

PS.I've also noticed my PSU makes some fairly high chirping noise whenever the cpu or gpu is under load. Could that be a sign of a failing psu or is it just some load noise I shouldn't worry about?
  2. Terenth New Member

Thanks Received:
    well it looks as though your gpu is a little hot, probably ran fine at first but wear and tear of 75degrees C might do it, mine gets at 60 max, use ati tool max out the fan, and downclock it and the ram maybe 50 mhz and see if that stablizes ur system :D good luck
  3. Terenth New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh sorry didnt read the bottom of ur post, those symptoms definitly sound like you dont have enough power, what is your power supply rated at
  4. goatee

goatee New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the answer :)

I've got the Tagan 480-U01, (this one)
    the page is in german but the specs are just a bit down on the page if you're interested. So would you suggest that the lockups and restarts are because the card is getting poorly powered through the 12V rail?
  5. Terenth New Member

Thanks Received:
    well yes, but i would also be concerned about your gpu temp, i guess its ok, iv heard of 80-85 temps but 75 for me is too hot, but definitly, if you have a 450watt laying around try it
  6. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    You are lucky to push your card to 75 C. My 800 XL locks up at 65 C.
    Did you checked your fans, are they still clean ?
    Did you add new components to your computer ??
    How about a virus, did check that ?
    Only very few psu are of good quality, i dont think TAGAN is one
    of them and as far as i remember 3 V is very important too and must delivery 18 A at least
  7. goatee

goatee New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently replaced one hd that failed. Except for that nothing else, and on the other hand the time before the lockup is now around 20 secs which propably means the temperature never manages to reach exceptionally high.

Btw, Tagan make good quality PSUs. Check out this one http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088
  8. Terenth New Member

Thanks Received:
    well if its churping under load, ur psu is prolly bad, just take a 450wat or higher psu that u kno werks or get a cheap one and try that. im sure its the psu
  9. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I agree with lack of power.
  10. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah, I don't think it's lack of power that's a good PSU. As long as it's working it'll supply adequate power. If it's dieing that's another story. I would definetly try downclocking the video card or going back to the orginal BIOS for troubleshooting, to get those temperatures under control. That could definetly be the problem. Either that or the PSU is dieing. Goodluck.
  11. goatee

goatee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the answers. Since I've tried flashing back and downclocking the gpu I'll try with another PSU as soon as I get my hands on one.
    I'll post back when I've got any updates. :)
  12. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    my advice, as i had a chirping noise with my psu a ways back too, so maybe this is related

the issue was my mobo, it didnt shut down, but the chirping had me worried alright.

first, make sure your psu is seated well to your mobo, and everywhere
    secondly, try a 2nd psu (friends, one with good return policy at compusa or wherever, etc)
    i can't think of a thirdly, so whatever, but double checking connections has helped me more than once :) good luck
  13. goatee

goatee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once again thanks for the answers and suggestions,

actually I went out and bought a new PSU. Tagan 530-U15 (This one)
    and everything seems to be working flawlessly until now. I've done a few benchmarks and tested some games with no lockups. Time will show I guess... :pimp: