1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Logitech Z-5500 Digital Soundroom

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by DanishDevil, Apr 16, 2008.

1. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    whether you change it or not more people own X and G Series :( which are plagued by Technical Problems. my Favorite Media is DVD, Heavy Metal and you might want to change Xtreme Gamer to Xtreme Gamer 7.1 as there is 2 versions.

added Club House to sig.

- Christine

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Done.

What kinds of technical problems are we talking about???

3. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually I shouldn't of said "plagued" they just use lower end parts in the X and G series they suffer from Distortion at High Volume and Drowning Bass commonly found in Samples.

- Christine

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  4. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    added to sig!!

5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My real name's Charmaine. :)

A question - listen has anyone really ever tried the sound of these on boost +11 (let alone boost +22) :confused:

I dunno maybe my speakers are inferior or my room acoustics are bad or I don't have proper music but the satellites kinda distort and I only got the m to boost +2 or so. :ohwell:

Maybe I should try just lowering the satellite volume?

Edit: I did lower... and got to boost +6
    lol wax is going to fall out of my ears for the vibe...

Second Edit: Oh....MY.... GEESH...
    I made it to boost+22:eek: Honestly it's awesome... my pants and shirt got a life of their own moving around, and the vent of the sub was blowing like a house fan :eek: I never imagined these speakers had this potential -- to the extent that hubby told me (again!) that I should disconnect them from my rig and give them to him........ :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  6. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    lol thats crazy hehe... boost 22? i never even push them above half... then again I am using opticval and thats about twice the volume of the analogue input.

7. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I set my laptop on its lowest volume and pushed Boost 11. It sounded REALLY CLEAR!!! These speakers rock :rockout:

Still no Boost 22 for me, though :( I'll have to do a firmware check. Maybe these are older...

And you can change that now! Check the 1st post under "Volume Tricks" near the bottom.

8. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have no boost 22 :( just 11.

9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Would you mind checking your firmware version and posting that here? I'll check mine. I bet we've got an older version that doesn't support Boost 22.

@ People who can reach Boost 22: Can you do it in the second skin? Maybe you only can in the first???

10. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I have System Firmware v2.1.0 by the way. What firmware do you guys have?

11. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I can do it on both skins.

But believe me you don't need boost 22! Jmo but it's too much. I left it at boost 22 for like 15 seconds yesterday while testing, and my ears are still hurting this morning honestly.

I can't check my firmware right now cause I'm at work, but I'll do so in the afternoon.

12. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if the firmware can be preflashed with newer?
    Btw can I join the club, I have the Z-5500 with a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Retail but I'm planning on buying an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 soon.

Danish Devil, here's a video of boosting to +22, take a look in case there's something you're doing wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA4IHFy0zGA&feature=related

Here's also a video guide of how to remove Z-5500 sub grill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFCwr9AEJmU&feature=related

Finally my real name is Radoslav, glad to meet you all. :)

DanishDevil says thanks.
  13. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man! And I know I don't need Boost 22, but I want it :D

I have no idea if you can update your firmware. How would you, though? I mean, the controller does connect to the sub with a serial port, but where on earth would you get the new firmware and the ability to flash it? That would be awesome!!! I just searched the web, and I can't find anything about it.

Watched the video, and that's exactly what I'm doing! Maybe I've got a newer/older firmware version that doesn't support Boost 22 because too many people were voiding their warranties with it :roll:

Welcome to the Sound Room malware! :toast:

Videos added as well.

14. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Might be very true. When I tried it out I had a funny smell in the room. It was like the 'new electronic component' smell, like warm (not burning) plastic.
    Everything is working fine, I did no damage and the sound is still nice and clear. But I didn't like that smell...

I don't know if it was because I've never had my system volume on more than half-way previously so stuff never got the chance to reach its temperature hence the warm plastic smell. Or whether had I left it for longer something would have burnt out!

15. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    That's a little scary! Well definitely let me know what System Firmware you're running and maybe we can jump to a conclusion on why I can't get my super-gigante e-penis from Boost 22 :D

16. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Mine is v2.0.9 that means older firmware I guess.

Probably the boost 22 function was removed on later firmware precisely for the reason you stated! I'm definitely not going to test it out to see whether something does go wrong with boost 22.
    Not worth getting a super-gigante e-penis if it shrivels down in ashes and charcoal would it? :p

17. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    e-penis lololol

18. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, how many of you have a z5500 that looks like this?
    [​IMG]
    Or like this? -- Mine looks like this one. Maybe we can get more info on which ones do what by figuring out when they made this change......
    [​IMG]

BOTH of these pics are from Newegg, so I am thinking that there has been two major revisions released...... maybe the new firmware that supports boost 22 has the RCA plugs??

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  19. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Mine looks like that one too.

Maybe guys from Europe can check which firmware they have?

20. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    and your z5500 allows you boost 22??

So everyone knows, Im not concerned that I cant hit boost 22, I do not need it by any means, just the fact that mine cannot do it is what bothers me!!

I watched some videos on how to do boost 22, I can do the volume+11, just not boost 22....

21. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    What firmware do you have?

I'm now assuming that people who have the old firmware 2.0.9 can get boost 22, while those of you with the newer firmware 2.1.0 have had it disabled...

22. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Europe here, I have the second version with the spring-loaded connectors (black/red) [I'm glad I have this version, because I'm using custom cables], and my firmware is 2.1.0.

P.S. I hate Logitech for having these "different revisions", I'm still swearing because of my "Europian G15" with this huge Enter key, when there is no indication and the case looks just like the American international version. I had to sell the sucker and now I'm importing one from USA ... don't ask me about shipping cost to Europe...d@mn Logitech.

P.S1. DanishDevil you can add firmware version under members' names. ;)

23. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna check when I get home from work.... just started an hour ago, so it will be about 8 hours before Im home :(

The RCA connections were the first revision eh??

I have had my set for 3 years now, and I have the spring loaded also. I thought the RCA would have been the newer ones......

24. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't know, I've seen reviews of both versions aroun the web.
    I bought mine about two months ago ... and they're definitely spring loaded.

EDIT: Now I'm looking at the back of my sub and there's a M/N, mine says S-0115B, if there's someone with the RCA version, please report what's written on the back of the sub.

25. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    So I have the second version with the black/red connectors... and the older firmware. Weird. :wtf:

Asb2106: I'd add to your suggestion - under the people's names DanishDevil can add what firmware they have and what version as well.

I bought mine summer last year.

This is interesting...