1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Logitech Z-5500 Digital Soundroom

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by DanishDevil, Apr 16, 2008.

1. indybird

indybird New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a question about the speakers used in the satellites. Logitech states that they are 62W RMS yet on the Tangband page it says that they are only 12W RMS/25W Max.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks,
    Indybird

2. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Then they're the loudest 12W I've ever heard :laugh:

Regards to vista and the channels. I only had problems with 5.1 and upmixing when the drivers were to blame (on integrated chipsets though).
    I assume you've tried different drivers, but usually if you can find a beta, they work the best, IMO.

3. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. Good catch! Who was it that advised me of the manufacturer?

4. indybird

indybird New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering because my control pod died so instead of buying a whole new system, I just bought a subwoofer amp and paired it with a 5.1 Receiver I just ordered. Well, the receiver is rated for 75W per channel @ 8 ohms, I wanted to make sure these speakers will be fine to turn up (obviously not all the way though).

Thanks,
    Indybird

5. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure they should be. it's possible Logitech modified them to accept higher wattage, but I doubt it.

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my control pod died too :(

how much are these parts costing you?

7. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering, are there any of you who went from onboard audio to a sound card that noticed a big difference in MUSIC sound quality? Not EAX support and upmixing and that crap. I'm only interested in sound quality. :p

8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    nope. i mean sure if your onboard had hissing or crackling you'd hear a difference, but the changes from onboard to anything other than the elite of elite soundcards, the only differences you will hear are due to different brands using different default equalisers.

For example, my audigy 4 on generic drivers sounds the same as my auzentech. Once you install the creative drivers and software, it suddenly gets bassier with louder treble. Why? cause creative boosted it, to make their cards appear better.

9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Mussels. The hardware differences in sound cards really don't make much of a difference in music at all. It's definitely the drivers that change that. If we could hear the difference between 98dB SNR and 118dB SNR, then we would be able to tell, but we can't.

10. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    Ok, because that's what I thought. I don't ever use equalizers because I want to be able to hear the music exactly as it's supposed to sound. I only play with volume levels on the Z-5500. And my onboard audio is actually pretty good with 103dB SNR. So I think I'll stay with that then thanks! :p

Been wondering for a bit now if it's worth buying something like an Asus Xonar or so because I think the Auzentech is a bit expensive but I think I'll keep my HD Audio onboard for now until I get a proper component system (which will have to be pretty damn good to compete with the Z-5500 sound quality. probably like 5 times as expensive at least to get a decent quality increase). ;)

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the real bonus to the xonar and other high end cards, its real time encoding - lets you move your 5.1 analogue games over to dolby digital or DTS.

THAT offers an improvement i could hear.

12. indybird

indybird New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found a older Yamaha 5.1 Digital Receiver from a local electronics store and they gave it to me for $35, then I got a Dayton 240W subwoofer amplifier from Partsexpress.com for $109 and popped that in the Logitech sub in place of their full range amplifier. Though there are some nice 180W Sony subwoofers around for $121, so you could save some money there.

The way I figured, I have a perfectly fine subwoofer driver and cabinet, and perfectly fine surround speakers, why replace those?

-Indybird

13. eggyhustles New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gonna be selling these soon for possibly 100 pickup(nyc area) or 150 shipped.

Upgraded to krk rokit 8 monitors & bic h100 sub.

14. b.r.u.n.o Guest

Hi all, i'm new here. My name is Bruno and i'm from Argentina. Currently I have the Z5500D and the X-fi Titanium connected with the 6 channel direct cable. I use vista 64 bits. Because a problem with my HDD I reinstalled the SO and I installed the last drivers from Creative. after read a lot of forums and opinions I still have problems with the configuration. I read once that crystalizer should be deactivated for this kind of speakers but here I have two things. I listen a better sound with it activated, at least with the treble. Because is supposed the z5500 to not has good treble, but when I turn up the volume (4 rectangles onwards) it starts to distort and do not know if the problem is due to the last Creative drivers I have downloaded (2.17.0006) or not. I don't remember before if I had the same sound problem because I didn't pay much attention.

On the other hand I also read that for this kind of speakers I also need to deactivate the bass redirection. Because the z5500 already does it. So if I active this option and let the frecuency to 80hz the subwoofer sounds very low and I have to turn up the volume of it (like five rectangles)

So to finalize I wonder if someone of you have had the same problem or have a configuration stablished so I can try and see if I can have better sound at least when I want to put the sound very high without distortion. I am not saying that I'm going to boost to 11 but you know what I mean.

Thanks a lot and I apologise if my english isn't very good...I haven't wrote o spoken english in a long time. :D

15. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    Devices: Realtek ALC889A Optical
    Speaker Info: -
    Favorite Media: Spotify & TV Series

16. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'm conflicted... I own 5500s, but I'm too lazy to answer these questions and take a picture... hmmm

17. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Yeah, I'm too lazy to check the ver on the pod :roll:

18. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Oh get off your asses. :laugh:

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    asses, plural?

20. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    it can be! lol... I was thinking, and I'll throw this out here first... doing a mod on the Control Center... Have the 5 buttons light up the same way as the power button. This way, you can tell in the dark what your pushing.. Yeah, yeah.... Should know by just touch and what not... I haven't yet! lol..

What you think about it guys?

21. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I was talking to the two people above me.

Sounds sick!

22. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    First post updated :roll:

23. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    i only noticed a difference going from analog to optical/digital... only becuase optical is much louder (has more gain i assume)... but other than that most new motherboards have pretty decent onboard audio codecs and no hiss.... though with an older one for sure it would sound very crap

24. MrHydes New Member

Thanks Received:
    me Logitech Z5500 Creative X-Fi Titanium
    but i had it conected to Xtremegamer before

25. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Give me some more information and I'll add you to the first post :)