1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Long-Awaited Upgrade! Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by War_God, Dec 3, 2009.

1. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right, and here that CPU is at 65 €... But what will it unlock to? I mean, I might be trowing my hands in fire, but I was buying that phenom 2 x2 because it could very likely turn into a x4. I'd actually be getting a high-end cpu. Now I do understand it's pushing luck at the draw, but still..
    Yes, it's a good processor, no doubt. And when O'ced, oh yeah xD But to OC that processor I'd have to buy a good mobo, like the one I've already picked. I don't think a much cheaper motherboard would be able to OC that processor to its limits (since it's not a BE).

Maybe. But just to think that with the 5850 prices falling after the launch of fermi I could double my performance with just more 140€... But yeah, you're right, maybe I don't really need to keep CF as an option.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    But it has no L3 cache, and doesn't have the option of unlocking to a full-fledged quad-core 940 :x I now it's a god processor, and it's cheaper too. like almost half the price.

Yeah, the memory is a really good deal.

I wasn't going to save money on the PSU xD I's spend just about the exact same amount of money on Corsair or Nox - just to say that with NOX I get more watts, ~ the same efficiency, modular cables, and a less-noisy PSU. and less 3 years in warranty, let's face it.

3. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    everyone will still recommend corsair over "NOX" even with more Wattages or whatever.
    My corsair 400W kicks every cheapo 550W PSU out there and its better than the OCZ Stealthxstram 500W,the 12V rail amp is so good you could practically run any card with a 6-pin power connector.

quad core unlockable on the X2 550? i never heard of that i swear you can only unlock 1 core which will make it a triple core not a quad.
    Everyone will recommend you SPEND the most of your money on the PSU as it is the most important factor of the PSU which is why a lot of use PSU such as corsair.

4. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure. Damn, even I would recommend Corsair over NOX to myself, and I do. But "NOX" has all that extra stuff xD Well, the lowest corsair I can find is that TX-650. Have you checked the specifications and the review on that nox? it's in my second post, I believe.

[​IMG]

That's a phenom 2 x2 550 with 4 cores (2 + 2 unlocked) and overclocked.

Im being brought to the Dark Side, and I like it :laugh: I know the PSU is one of the most crucial factors on a PC, but man, that's just so many extras --'

5. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    That PSU with 80+ bronze is most certainly not one of those el cheapos :respect:
    It actually puts out 635Ws on its +12V rails, the only problem is this sucker split it into 6 +12V rails. :shadedshu

6. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I honestly wouldn't bank on that x2 unlocking. It's a chance if it doesn't unlock then in your mind it is worthless. I'd recommend picking up the x3 like Kurosagi suggested. Just built a rig with the quad core version for a friend, it definitely does the job. That + 5770 I haven't found a game that it won't play well at 1680x1050.

7. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know it would be a tough chance, albeit an extremely temptative one. :laugh:
    Having heard what all you guys have said and re-viewng some reviews, I think I will in fact opt for the X3. It's as good as the x2 550 in most benchmarks, loses a few, wins even more, can turn itself into a quad-core (again, luckily) and the extra core more than makes up for the lack of L3 cache in games. Besides, it's 35€ cheaper :rockout::laugh:

I can't play at 1680x1050, only my laptop has that screen resolution. I only have a 1280x1024 monitor and a 1920x1080 40" HDTV. So, I want a graphics card that's able tu run most games at 1920x1080, since it's the highest resolution I'm going to play at. The 5770 IS 100€ cheaper than the HD5850 - But it's very crippled when comapred to it too.

8. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    well if you exclude game like crysis you can see the 5770 actually did very good on 1920x1200 which is a bigger resolution than 1080 no?:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, indeed, it didn't fare bad at all. Don't misunderstand me, it's a great card. But it's slower than an hd4890, and what to say about it's performance in Dx11 games? at least with the 5850 I have almost double the reserve in shader power, along with much more bandwidth :x
    Maybe the difference between the 5770 can be minimized with driver and game optimizations. But it may as well not be :banghead:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  10. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    DX11 is supposed to be better optimized, getting higher frame rates than previous dx versions, at least that's what I understand.

11. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what it's supposed to be, anyway. I'll believe it when I see it. DX10 was supposed to be a huge step forward in graphics - surprise surprise... we all got :nutkick:

And with the scores in Unigine Heaven beign what thy are, I don't know where this is going. Ok, it's an over-tesselated benchmark, and it doesn't reflect real.world gameplay. But it gives a general idea on what to expect. I don't know, man... Dirt 2 is coming out soon - we'll se about it in reality just then :eek: here's hoping...

12. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Dirt 2 wasn't originally designed for DX11 so they won't really be that great of a comparison. I believe they said they were only adding parts of what DX11 supports.

13. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't aware of that. But yeah, I had partially figured it out, thus the XBOX360 and PS3 versions. But still, it will have Some DX11 traits... I'm hoping DX11 will bring really good performance improvements. When you look at battleforge:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=842&pageid=5

There were some pretty good improvements: both performance and image quality received a bump, and it was only with a patch. Maybe Dirt2 will be even better.
    But until I see some more benchmarks of the 5770 on DX11, I'm more inclined to a 5850.

14. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, I'd grab a 5770 and if you feel the need later get a second one for some crossfire action. They will beat the 5850 in most tests as well as the 5870 about half the time at least according to this review. In the end you may not feel the need to even get another card, it's just the possibility that you could. Yes it will be a little more expensive than a 5850, but it's less money in the front end.

15. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    I got Dirt2 yesterday.
    It is actually quite well written to be honest.
    My rig played it like a dream, and there are some guys that are quite happy with it playing on notebooks.

16. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it is less money in the short-run, and maybe even in the long run. But how much would CF be bottlenecked with a 8x8 pci-express configuration? Well, I suppose I could overclock the PCI-E bus to compensate xD Forget it, the difference would be minimal.
    Anyway, I'd save 100€ if I bought the 5770 intead of the 5850, and that would only cover the mobo. no cpu, no DDR3...

Great :toast: put in some benchies if you have the time :D
    My notebook has a 9300GS. I'd be better off not even trying to play it, unfortunately.

17. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Very minimal loss at all looking at wizz's review. Looking at 1% @ 1920@1080 with a 5870 so probably none at all with the 5770.

18. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, I remembered I had seen that comparison right here, so I went and checked it again. Thus my shambled thoughts in that post xD So that wouldn't be a problem, great :toast:
    I just saw a benchmark comparing dx11 vs dx9 performance and IQ on Dirt 2.

Here's 1280x1024:

[​IMG]

And here's 1920x1200:

[​IMG]

I simply cannot understand such a small diference between the 5870/5850 relative to an HD4890. 5870 has double the processing potencial, and only has like 1/3 more performance. Even worse with the HD5850.
    The 5770 is way behind the 4890, but performs ~ on par with the 4870. Looks like ATI's architecture's not being put to good use :mad::mad:

19. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    More than likely due to mature drivers.

20. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure thing. It hasn't passed that much time since the 5000 series release, but I had expected to see a "slightly" bigger growth in performance by now. something more like the growth in NFS Shift.

21. War_God

War_God New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, so I ordered a corsair tx-650 today, for 80€. It's arriving next wednesday, tops. Just wanted you guys to know. Thanks for your feedback until now :toast:

22. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    Good choice! :toast: