1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Long Windows Startup Time

Discussion in 'General Software' started by FordGT90Concept, Jun 4, 2012.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 isn't officially out yet and Windows 7 is already purchased.

I think you're right though...this might be beyond my ability to fix. I'll suggest to the owner that he should consider an SSD for caching/page file if hard drive performance isn't acceptable.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    check bios and see if there is a effect to turn off splash screens.. I know that with my Z68 there was 5 different "splash screens" that popped up before windows.. Once i took that off, I believe it did help boot time since the controllers were starting up faster..

3. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    There's only one splash screen and it only shows for about 1 second. The delay I'm trying to reduce is when the actual Windows logo is showing.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I know that. But, once it was disabled on my V-pro, the time it took was a little faster. that's why I asked..

5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    How long is it actually taking to boot? If it's under a minute then I wouldn't even worry about it. If the owner cares, then teach him how to use hybrid sleep, and that sucker will come out of S4 before the monitor has a chance to warm up.

There is really no reason that he would need a shutdown for anything other than updates.

6. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    Have you threatened it with a hammer?

7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  8. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I got concerned when it was taking 80-100 seconds. I think the last several times I checked, it was between 53-55 seconds which is acceptable. Even so, I'm curious why the OtherKernelInit is abnormally high.

I disable sleep and hybernate. They're hard on the PSU and I've seen so many motherboards fail to recover from it. I recommend, to everyone, to shut down daily purging the RAM and extending component lifespan.

It has a $200 case, it knows I wouldn't follow through. :roll:

I didn't try turning Aero off...I should have. It's already upstairs ready to go to the client so I can't try now.

Logon isn't a problem. According to the logs, it is taking less than 200ms (insanely fast).

I didn't think of Delayed Start but, I don't know what I'd do that too. There's so little running on it. If memory serves, there was only 1 second difference between starting everything and only starting critical services. It's something lower than software. At the same time, driver loading said it only took about 650ms. I really need to know what that OtherKernelInitDuration includes. :(

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
    95Viper says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    One other thing that sloooows down a machine is the stupid Search Index on the drives. Turning that nasty thing off really helps with overall drive speed.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.