1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

lookin for a portable yet powerful laptop, high budget

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darkgundam111, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend is looking for a new laptop, preferably portable yet powerful with a discrete graphics card. 14 inch ish. He's got a decent wallet size for this haha. Any recommendations?
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    pretty much go to sagers or alienwares official website. build your own laptop/customize it. his budget is the limit. xD i play around with those customize options sometimes, built a 15k PC one time on alienwares site lulz

edit: make sure he gets the 7970m or gtx 680m gpu.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP9170

and customize it. I vote for the 7970m if he truly does have a high budget.
    Darkgundam111 says thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Portable = ?

A good starting point is Alienware M14x, or MSI GT series and Asus G5x series are also options if you consider 15.4"

Origin/Sager/Clevo/Whatever is your next option, but I tend not to see them as "portable".

Samsung does gaming laptops too, but not much.
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any gaming you do on a laptop is going to require the laptop be plugged in, batteries can not handle gaming. So I find even a large laptop to be portable in that instance, just throw it in your suitcase with your clothes/wireless mouse, /shrug.
  5. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh for portable he's looking for something that is like thin and easy to carry around. the gaming is for his at home time. I was thinking something like that gaming ultrabook that acer has, but not sure if there's anything better with that kind of size.
  6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    The Envy 14, Have i5 or i7 plus some kickass graphics
  7. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Probably won't get a lot of graphics power in the 14inch models. I looked for some myself but really didn't see much. For the same price on most of them you could get a real good gaming laptop.

Lenovo Y580 is pretty nice if your budget is not overly bloated. Just got one myself. GTX 660M 2GB with i7. 1080 res on a 15.6. Case isn't as flashy but isn't all plasticy like HP. The 15.6 size makes it a bit more manageable than the 17+ monsters so theres more portability. It also is surprisingly light compared to similar gaming laptops. It has a nice copper heatsink like them too. Real visible from the exhaust. Even has a cleaning mode for the vents you can run from within Windows. Bloatware is minimal. Not as bad as others for sure. Tossed out MacAfee right away.

Price on them start around a thousand. Variations in models change screen resolution to a lower 1366x768 but you'd want the 1080 screen for sure. Quality is fantastic. The HD changes too. You can put two HDs in them or HD+SSD.

Asus has a similar model but it is larger. I've seen it in person. The palm rest on it is rubbery. Feels like it would collect skin oils real easy then look horrible later.

Samsung does have a gaming laptop but pricewise you are looking at the Apple area.

Alienware...ehhh, I keep hearing mixed reports from them. Power issues, quality, and then just bad support. Dell stuff.
  8. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Google the HP envy 14, They are Loaded with power, and are mostly metal, any plastics are solid and their customer support is amazing on the envy line
  9. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    Vaio Z
    the newest one, its pretty powerful and very portable
  10. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently picked up the new G55VW-DS71 and updated with a vertex 4 256GB SSD and it is EXCELLENT. The build quality is beast and puts the budget ones to shame for about the same price. The GTX 660M is plenty for me, and it runs way cooler than the gtx 670m. It also overclocks really well and just about puts out the same performance. Uses much less power too.

It's a BEAUTIFUL laptop. Perfectly built and so solid. I highly recommend looking at it. Check out the sagers too, but just know they don't have the same level of build quality & appearance.
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    How big is his lap?
  12. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so my friend went with a sager, think he chose some of the pricier parts too haha. go big or go home he said. thanks for the info and recommendations, i didn't know about some of these brands before.
  13. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sager definitely maxes out performance per $ for laptops, that is for sure!

Do you know what CPU / GPU combo he did? The dual 7970M is INSANE for a laptop