1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a badass HL2 mod to play

Discussion in 'Games' started by shevanel, Oct 12, 2009.

1. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm currently only rocking the amd64 3200+ and 8600gt so I'm trying to get my game on and it seems a source game might be my max for now. I have cs:s retail so I'm looking for a fun mod to play.. any suggestions?

Free is a + and so is online servers with people playing.

Thanks

Wondering how this "Fortress forever" is, anyone played that one?
  2. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    FF is pretty cool. A lot like TF2 in the mechanics but different style and gameplay. As for HL2 mods, I got Research & Development a few months ago and it was awesome. It's like a puzzle mod and you have to run around and mess with machines and stuff to get through the level.
    shevanel says thanks.
  3. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sound cool but I am not a big fan of games like myst if this is anything like that.
  4. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I guess it is kind of like Myst.
    shevanel says thanks.
  5. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    the FF mod is pretty sweet. not bad for a "free game" ya know? It's decent.
  6. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you like it a lot, I'd recommend getting TF2. It's a lot more stylized, organized, and fun to play in mah opinion. But that isn't free. Oh another mod is NeoTokyo, I had that one too. Futuristic and simple, kind of set in a AI/Matrixey type world, basically CTF with little nekked robot chicks that hang on your back.
    shevanel says thanks.
  7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Hidden Source is an Awesome mod. I think its real fun but it can be hard if you lack the skill.

Other Top Mods include Zombie Master and Situation Outbreak. I think they are must have mods for HL2
    shevanel says thanks.
  8. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, also Goldeneye: Source (like good ol' Goldeneye for the N64 but completely multiplayer) and Zombie Panic: Source (like L4D but with more skill, teamwork is really important). Both are really fun.
    shevanel says thanks.
  9. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    shevanel says thanks.
  10. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats goldeneye mod sounds interesting! That used to be the game to play bitd.

Im currently dl'ng Insurgency, made by THQ.. looks like a cod4 type mod..

Is situation OB another zombie mod?
  11. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Eternal Silence is a free multiplayer HL2 mod set in space, and it is a blast. Each team has its own battleship, and you fight in fighters and bombers, eventually boarding the other ship to capture key systems. It is serious fun, and can be played for just a few minutes, or for hours. It's almost like SW Battlefront 2 space combat missions, only better. It is really worth a look. Did I mention free?

Edit: Here's a link: http://www.eternal-silence.net/
    shevanel says thanks.
  12. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    That does seem cool! I'm going to check out this GE:S mod and see what it's like.. then I might try that one...

I didn't realize there were so many to chose from.

LOL, all the mods ive tried play at 1920x1080 at high details on this old single core rig @ 50-70 fps.. It sure does make you think about modern gaming and the hardware needed to squeeze out 40 fps.
  13. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    Insurgency is a sick mod. By far my favorite. It is not like cod4 in the sense that it is much more realistic aka one shot kills, no run and gun, and no immediate respawn times.
    shevanel says thanks.
  14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yes Situation Outbreak is another Zombie mod and its fresh too, Was released just last month. You can be a zombie kill zombies and many other game modes too. But like I said out of any mod I play Hidden Source the most.
    shevanel says thanks.
  15. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Goldeneye is ok.. they did a good job on it but the game play is meh.. insurgency is 89%..
  16. dcf-joe

dcf-joe

Thanks Received:
    Minerva Metastasis is the best HL2 mod I have ever played. It was made by Adam Foster, the guy who now works at valve. Valve liked this mod a bit, and eventually asked Adam to join...

Research and Development is an excellent first person puzzle solver.

Strider Mountain is a good, long mod. It has good custom weapons and such. The only bad thing about this one is, the cutscene animations are third rate, but I believe that this was the first mod released by whoever made it.

Missing Information is another good mod. The developers took what was supposed to be the original HL2 storyline from the book, Raising the Bar, and made a mod to reflect that storyline.

Eye of the Storm looks epic, but they have only released episode one of it, and it was short. This mod is the sequel to the Ravenholm mod, which imo was not that great.

Joutemaa, or something really similar to that spelling, also looks epic, but the episode one that they have now brings new meaning to the word SHORT.

Perfect Dark: Source might have been epic if they hadn't cancelled it. I believe the same team is now going to remake perfect dark with the third cryengine.

Black Mesa and Operation Mesa are two epic mods to watch out for, as they will be complete remakes of HL1 and Opposing Force, respectively, using the source engine. Black Mesa is supposed to be released near the end of this year. The release date has probably changed however.

All of the above mentioned mods are FREE as well.
  17. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    Cinematic mod is awesome, but i don't think your system would run well with it.
  18. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    going to try the minerva metastais map.

fortress forever is fun but alot of gay boys play it and the servers are empty at night... im just kidding about the gays but there are some whiny dudes that play that game. the kinda dudes that stop listening to a band because too many people listen to it now..
  19. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    some mods work for me and some do not. i dont have HL2 but the retail box of cs:s and dod:s
    what works:

insurgency
    fortress forever
    dystopia
    goldeneye

what doesn't:

dino d-day
    minerva metastasis
    sysnergy

could it be bec. i NEED actual HL2 game?
  20. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Wait for the ultimate and probably the most anticipated mod ever, "Black Mesa Source".
    I'm also waiting for They Hunger: Lost Souls. The original trilogy They Hunger for Half-Life 1 was awesome. Probably the best zombie horror game i've ever played.
  21. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    it is just a remake?