1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a good hard drive enclosure

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sanhime, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Looking for a good hard drive enclosure that can hold 4 or more drives and have USB 3.0 (no NAS, can't afford :( ). Anyone have recommendations? Thanks!
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sanhime says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Wow, what a coincidence. I been staring at since I posted this thread. bwahaha! :laugh:

If it has esata, it should have raid support, no? Personally, I'm just going to use usb3.

BTW, if anyone is curous. I don't recommend Lian Li EX-503 enclosure. Gots serious electrical issues like high pitch buzzing/whistling noises (the sound old resistors/capacitors would make), it'll give you a migraine in 5min after hearing. Had two of the enclosureboth RMAed. Lian Li need to stick with their day-job and stick with PC cases.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, no, it doesn't support RAID. All it will allow you to do is software RAID via the OS, which no one should do.
    Sanhime says thanks.
  5. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Can this enclosure hotswap or do I need to disconnect from taskbar and/or shutdown the enclosure before changing drives?
  6. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    One of the reviews mentions "cheezy" hot swap drive removal handles :laugh: so there's your answer.
  7. Gab

Thanks Received:
    What about Lian-Li EX-50B?
  8. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of NAS storage, why do all of them suck so much? Every review I see of them say the software sucks and/or there are major problems with the one they bought software or otherwise. (eg slow transfer speeds)
  9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Well, simply put, they are cheap. They use underpowered hardware, a lot using a SoC design, that just can't handle heavy data throughput. Add to that any kind of RAID load and the thing just bogs down completely. All the consumer level NAS devices are like this. You hav eto get into the professional NAS devices to see real performance and good interfaces, but for that kind of money you might as well build a proper file server.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Id personally prefer to have a NAS solution where I can just buy some hard drives and toss them in instead of building a cheap-o file server. They either need to kill the consumer NAS devices and make the professional ones cheaper for everyone to buy or make the consumer NAS devices more reliable. But I guess that is too simple. Makes me sad. :(