1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a good Micro ATX power supply, do they exist?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by adamdon89, Jun 15, 2007.

1. adamdon89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

I recently got a cool mATX case and decided to put my main rig in it that just happens to have a mATX mobo. All went well but I had to sit my ATX PSU outside the case because it only takes mATX PSU.

This isn't very practical but after having a look at the mATX PSU on the market I wasn't very impressed with the 300w or lower choice. Maybe I'm over estimating what I need because of the 550w PSU I'm using now

Could I get a Micro ATX power supply to run this:

1. AM2 X2 4200 (65w) OC'd to 2.42GHz
    2. HHDs (1 SATA 1 IDE)
    2. 512s of DDR2 800
    2. 60mm fans
    1. optical drive
    1. 1xPCIe WiFi card

future upgrades:
    another 2 512s of DDR2 800
    maybe a PCI TV card
    and a 8600GTS or a 2600XT (waiting on the benchmarks) Will be OC'ing the graphics card.

Any thoughts/ideas will be appreciated, Thanks.

2. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    What case did you get, just out of curiosity?

3. adamdon89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    A "Enlight EN-7472". got it for Free, I'm pretty sure that the graphics cards I'm looking at will fit.... Just.

4. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi.

I have a Mini ATX case too, but you have a powerfull PSU than me, I tried and tried and DON'T find a good PSU than that I already have (350W), I think It doesn't exist any more powerfull than yours since a mini ATX case isn't suited to build a high end PC. (i dont think a 8800 series fits on that case of yours).

Your PSU is enough to handle all your system, the only problem is when you upgrade to a 8800, these cards are a power-eater and needs a CONSTANT supply, if your PSU is a generic one (and I'm almost sure it is), normally It power supply are kinda crappy, so if you still have the idea to buy an 8800 you can try If the system remains stable, if not, you will be forced to install a normal PSU outside your case :(

mmmm, and that kind of PSU are commonly called SFX PSU just to increase the results if you're searching on google.....if you find it one DON'T HESITATE AND SELL ME YOUR PSU!!!!! :toast:

GOOD LUCK AMIGO!!!

5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    just don't get a POWMAX

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Sovereign

Sovereign New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are a few 450watt mATX PSUs out there but they are generaly generic and I wouldn't waste my time with them. Most of these can only be found on eBay so do the math and stay away.

I personaly own 2 mATX PSUs that I believe are great quality. The first one came with my Enermax Venus sff mATX case and is a 270watt model. It powered a AMD64 Mobile 4000+ Newark S754 CPU, a gig of ram, 2 sata HDs, 1 optical drive and one media card reader drive as well as an assortment of cards such as a Radeon X1900GT PCIE card and never had any issues.

The second one is the one I am currently using and it is a Just PC 350watt "noiseless" (20a +12v single rail) PSU. I had used it in the above system as well and the rails have always stayed steady and stable on this PSU. I purchased this @ Newegg roughly a year ago and it looks like they no longer carry them. So, it now looks like your best bet will be either :

Athena Power AP-MPS3ATX40 Micro PS3 ATX Ver 2.2 400W Power Supply - Retail

or

Athena Power AP-MP4ATX40 MicroATX Ver 2.2 400W Power Supply - Retail

Also, you'll want to consider the limited cooling conditions in a mATX case so you might want to skip on an internal TV tuner/capture card and go with an external USB model instead. I was using my MSI Theater 550 PRO inside my Enermax Venus case, which has 2 total 80mm case fans as well as 2x 60mm fans in the PSU and the tuner card gets fairly hot and blocks air flow to the video card, which makes things even hotter. I went ahead and got myself a nice DELL Angel USB Tuner/Capture BOX which came bundled with a MCE 2005 remote kit! You can find one of these at places like HERE for a respectable price. The quality is every bit as good as my Theater 550 PRO and it is fully supported in Windows Media Center Edition 2005 OS!

Good luck and yeah, it does suck that there is a lack of choice in the mATX market!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  7. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    The antec Aria has a pretty beefy PSU that comes with..

If its a SFF psu you're in search of anyways.

Matx cases that are "normal" just use ATX psu's.

I'm not even sure Matx is a standard for PSU's... this is probably why you don't see many.