1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a good strategy game (winXP).

Discussion in 'Games' started by TechnicalFreak, Mar 3, 2009.

1. As title say.
    I already have bot Supreme commander and Supreme Commander:Forged Alliance.
    So now I'm looking for something similar. Does NOT need to be flashy looking, I'm the type of guy who "if" I would be able to get TotalAnnhilation on this system I would play it!

But it must be similar or close to it. Also, "EARTH" series I have also played.. So that is also out of the question.

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Age of Empires 2. Nothing can beat it. The best 3d RTS I played was probably SupCom but you have that.. What about Company of Heroes, that was pretty fun.

3. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Age of Mythology. Great RTS.

4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Honestly if you like Supcom... There is not much that can compare, especially if you are good at supcom, the macro management of that game is insane. You can try Micro and do some Warcraft 3.

5. kyle2020 Guest

An epic game that I started playing last night - Risk 2. Its free (cough) and is fantastic, bloody addictive too.

6. I just bought the complete Total Annihilation from a neighbour who still had them. So I got now TA, TA:CC and TA:BT. Yesterday I downloaded the latest mod for it and played with some friends until 03:30 in the morning... I figured out how to get it working under XP. And I have never had so much fun. It now also supported up to 1500 units, first time I've seen my system actually lag and have to work hard in a strategy game... on the other hand we were like 4 people and using 1500 units.

7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    If you decide to try an RTS where you don't necessarily need to do serious management, but want more basis on battle strategy and tactics, World in Conflict is amazing. Sure it looks damn good, but it plays great. At face value it appears to have little depth, little strategy, almost like a beat em' up RTS, but once you get into it, and especially multiplayer, strategy becomes important, and with the limitations of your budget, you won't have 1500 units at your beck and call, you'll have a small squadron. The SP part of the game is pretty entertaining, the multiplayer was worth the 15 bucks I paid for this game brand new about 7-8 months ago, with a new expansion coming, more goodies, I look forward to seeing this game grow.

I guess it depends on what kind of RTS game you feel like playing atm, I love Sup Com, great game, but I enjoy the action and pace of World in Conflict a lot more, to me it's more fun, there is a demo you can try out also and iirc the demo has limited multiplayer too.

:toast:

8. kyle2020 Guest

Is starcraft any good? I downloaded it today, but ill need to reinstall vista to play it - will it be worth it?

9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Starcraft rocks! That is a classic all-time-great RTS game, that and Brood Wars (expansion), rock! I think the resolution is limited to 800x600, but rumor has it there will be a new patch released soon to allow higher resolutions and improved modern OS compatability, at least from what I heard from a friend who's been playing that game since it's release.

:toast:

10. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    starcraft is, as i said, the game of the year, all years

11. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    If you want a very simplistic RTS game that has a classic feel yes.

Starcraft lacks micro management ability or need, although its fairly high macro.

Very simple to say the least, but fun if you want a fairly relaxed feeling rts.

12. refluxxed New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Starcraft is pretty epic, nothing can beat it.

14. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    TA is easily the best RTS of all time....It works natively on XP. I realize it was designed for Windows 98 (I believe, I've owned the game since the day it came out). Get the TAUCP unit pack. Best one out there :) I also design custom units myself, but I haven't done it in probably 5-6 years.

15. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty awesome so long as you got lots of time
    Age of Empires II/III still the final word in RTS for me, both a bit different both excellent in their own right
    World in Conflict is okay, but I think that almost deserves a different category, lack of tech and recourse building turned me off of it, but it's more story driven than most RTS, more like a action/RTS hybrid
    Dawn of War II is a interesting kind of RTS/RPG hybrid

16. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    These are all good recommendations. On the other hand avoid Endwar - awful controls/camera

17. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Empire: Total war

18. I just bought Warhammer 40K : Soulstorm.. Played it for a couple of hours.

19. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Risk on PC? Might try that.

Company of Heroes and AoE i can vouch, very highly, for though. CoH:OF is a definite if you like WW2 games.

20. shakaxd

shakaxd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've not played Strategy lately, but I like the old ones like Transport Tycoon Deluxe. After that, only Civilization 4. Both highly recommended :)

21. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Dawn of War II 40,000!

22. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
  23. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Empire: Total War. Awesome series.:)

24. NeSeNVi New Member

Thanks Received:
    640x480 and 8-bit display.

It no lacks micro, especially on early-mid game! In late... propably yes macro > micro, but still I have seen so many games by pro players (gosu) ,where totally awesome micro managament won the game. Good game for play on bnet, but there is so many map hack users;/ so better to find other servers with skilled players if you want challenge;)

Total War series is good (but totally different from Supreme Commander) ,when you use some mods (more realistic game or more balanced and improved AI).

25. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    If you like Space RTS games, HomeWorld I and II are very cool.