1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a new monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chryonn, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    Hello, i'm in the market for a new 24" monitor. since the last screen i bought was a CRT, i'm a little out of touch with current trends and advancements in LCD/LED technology.
    i know TN panels are the least desirable of all flat screens and that IPS and PVA are the better screens. then there's the deal with CCFL vs. LED backlighting. and im thinking that LED is the way to go

i'm on a limited budget, about £150
    i've seen this at Scan
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/23-l...ull-hd-dvi-vga-1920x1080-8ms-250cd-m-50000001

any expert opinions?

i do a lot of gaming rather than photoshopping, and some video encoding and playback. priority is gaming.
  2. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    that looks like a good LED there from LG, i have heard they make good screen also tv's i am more of a Philips person myslef, but if i ever wanna go from Philips it will properly be LG ^^
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    For about £150 you could do a lot worse than get the LG 23.6" 120Hz monitor that I bought and reviewed. Believe me, 120Hz really makes a difference. It's even noticeable on the desktop, but really shines when playing games.

You can get it from Ebuyer here. They are discontinued and there are only 7 left now.

As you play a lot of games, you want to get a TN monitor with very low input lag and this monitor is one of the best for that. The pictures are also bright and vivid.

There's no one LCD technology that has it all. Yes, IPS or S-IPS looks a lot better in terms of viewing angles and colour, but it sucks at gaming due to lag and motion smear. Plus, it costs a lot.
  4. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    If you want true colors get an IPS monitor (most IPS versionen look good, even the cheaper H-IPS versions from Dell have surprisingly good color fidelity if set up properly).

LED does not make things better only thinner. If your priority is gaming just get a quality TN screen it will be fast enough, color fidelity is secondary when it comes to gaming.
  5. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received: