1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a new power supply.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cybie1111, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I decided its the right time for me to upgrade my power supply before I get a new motherboard/CPU in June (Yes, delayed again, but it will be worth it. :ohwell: ). I am looking for a Modular or part modular setup with a wattage range of 500-700 watts. I am willing to spend around 200 dollars.

While searching, I found something interesting. Does anybody have some knowledge of these brands of PSUs? It looks like it would go well for you future quad SLi users (not me of course :laugh: ).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189011

I have completely no knowledge of this brand. :confused:

2. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    XClio isnt a bad brand. But there is better out there. Simply just get an OCZ PowerStream 600W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711001). I honestly think a Antec TruePower 550W or an OCZ PowerStream 520W is enough for your upgrade. The reason I say that is because the newer CPUs are consuming less power.

3. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just out of curiousity, I was curious how are the ultras PSUs?
    I heard that the x-connects (not the x2-connects) actually started to blow up some systems, even though they got good reviews. Also, if you want a modular PSU check out the hiper PSUs...

5. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i too read that earlier version of the x-connects had issues, mine is an ultra x-finity with these nice flex cables, not modular but alot better than standard psu wire clutter. My x-finity is also a second revision dual rail and has been real stable, but my pc isn't that all demanding. The only other upgrades i will do on my current rig is either an x1800 or better card and with that if my current PSU can't handle it, another PSU. I have so many old pc's lying around that I throw together for friends and familys that don't have any that i can usually put together a computer or two just from the spare parts i have after various upgrades. In the next couple years i am going to build my own dream machine, AMD and ATI based crossfire setup, but its gotta have dual core. Plus I want to wait to see how much further the tech evovles and either go budget on an older 939 or AM2 socket or a "money is no object" based on tech we have yet to see.

6. Fleabus New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    those enermax liberty's are sweet didn't even know they made modular. Price wise they are more inline with the Xclio.

8. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree the Enermax PSUs are good looking and they are small. But I am focusing more on extra wattage and hoping to get 4 12+ volt rails, which the Xclio's have (and strong ones too, 18 amps each.) and it seems to have the same size as the Enermax. It also seems that the xclios are the better buy price and wattage/rail wise.

I need more opinions please by the end of this week. That is my planned date to purchase a PSU. Thanks to all for your help. :)

Also note I will not be available in the forums until Friday. I have a extremely busy work week. :(

9. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since when have they been making 4 12v rail PSUs? What are the other two for? I know with duals one was for the motherboard/cpu/ram, and the other was pretty much for everything else. What does having four do?

10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    lol considering you don't add rails, more doesn't nessesarily equal better. 4 rails seems like a waste as most boards simply can't divide the power 4 ways. even the beast pc power and cooling only divides 3 ways and they have set parameters on the psu to regulate the power and insure that each rail goes to the right area.
    granted there is the whole issue of the new power hungry rigs
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30053
    it seems that no matter what you do, you never have enough power lol.

11. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I should get this. It has what I want at a great price. Should I go for this instead? Too bad the blue one is sold out. :(

12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    should be plenty of power.

13. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump. Need more opinions on the PSU from last post.