1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a Socket A CPU

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway Forum' started by Woah Mama!, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Woah Mama! New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm after either a Sempron or Athlon Socket A. Obviously something of a decent speed, over 1500mhz I'd say. I'm concerned about my Athlon 2600 because on close inspection it seems a part of the chip has broken off.

I guess that America and Australia/NZ are the only feasible places to ask as the UK would be too much of a hassle (I have family in the US).

Prices etc, just let me know through PM. I just bought a new damn motherboard for this and whilst getting mym parts ready I find out that it looks to be broken, such is life dagnamit! :banghead::shadedshu

Edit: Ok, just decided to give it a shot and I'm running fine, although its 400mhz slower then it should be. I just put a bit of crusty old thermal compound on the insulator and it's ok. Still wouldn't mind getting a Sempron though, so this thread is somewhat still relevant. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. FOXCONN1115 New Member

Thanks Received:
    just get a biostar/amd brisbane combo, they're wicked cheap, and so is memory. :D

3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Or you can get my S754 combo and still use your DDR and other stuff. Will be way faster than those Socket As.

4. Woah Mama! New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, am aware of going either 939/940 or 754 with my remaining stuff or even trying to track down an AM2 or 775 board that takes DDR and AGP (I saw one somewhere).
    Just more of less looking if anyone has a socket A lying about or a friend has one etc etc.

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    400mhz slower?.....you should do a bios update etc on the new board tyou got you may alos need to manually set the cpu speed.

6. Woah Mama! New Member

Thanks Received:
    Solaris - Not sure what is going on with it, nothing I can try will get it to go back to 1917mhz without increasing the FSB speed etc. It should run at 1917mhz stock but, I dunno.

Anyways, I found another 2600+ Sempron today. Brand new but it is very different to the other Sempron 2600+ I have. I've written up a thread to see if anyone can help identify them for me. Whichever is better for overclocking I would like to keep aside from my rebuilt socket A and put the other in my brothers computer as he hardly plays games any more.

Sempron identifying thread here. Thanks anyway, if someone happens to have a 3200+ Athlon for a decent enough price (ie not as much as a 4800+ AM2) I'd be happy to consider it.

7. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Does your board has jumpers for setting the starting FSB. My ECS board had. So see if it is set to 133 or 166.

8. Woah Mama! New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to answer the question; I don't think so. My original one didn't so I don't see how a remade version will either.

9. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have two Athlon 2400+ CPUs. One worked for sure, the other I'm not too sure of. I killed my mobo so I have no use for them. Let me know if you want both, I'll let them go for cheap.

10. k0rn_h0li0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a celeron and sempron. both for pretty cheap.

celeron 1.7 sempron 1.2