1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

looking for a SSD drive recommendation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by keakar, Mar 8, 2014.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    im wondering if I should swap out my hard drive to a SSD drive?

I already bought the Samsung 840 pro 128 GB for the boot drive for windows but for the large storage drive files, will I really get any benefit from swapping my present sata II hard drive (see my specs) out for a SSD drive half its size?

I don't do raid or overclock and I don't care about benchmarks or looking for differences in milliseconds of speeds, so i use my computer for entertainment and I don't ever do anything with it to put it to work much so is it worth it in any noticable form to swap to an SSD for a storage drive? I don't do anything much to require super fast speeds to shave off milliseconds on data transfers, I just do web surfing & mild gaming with 5 year old games.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  3. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at that but couldn't figure out whats the difference between the pro vs the evo versions because the pros are like 40% more expensive then the evos or any of the other brand SSDs

I have some SSD questions if you guys don't mind:

1 - being solid state, do they have the full use of all of the drive space available or do they have like 9% of the drives listed GB not there like with other drives? it always bugged me

2 - does it make that much noticeable difference in your computers speed to have an SSD drive over, say a 64mb cache SATA 3 regular 7200 rpm hard drive?
  4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Yes, yes, 100% yes

Also Samsung EVO or bust.
    keakar says thanks.
  5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    1. Space isn't fully available on my Seagate 600 240GB I think, I have a partition on it so when I add the partition plus OS drive I get about 220GB. Maybe some of it is lost from system reserve?
    2. Very fast but I wouldn't buy another SSD for my system, pretty happy with my Blue's performance
    keakar says thanks.
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Pro is the older range and actually carry a 5 year warranty.
    keakar says thanks.