1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking For a SSD

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Bunchies, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Bunchies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im Looking for a SSD For my Build ,and im looking for a 60-64Gb SSD At $90 to $100

Ive looked at the Ocz's but there are alot of bad reviews

So just lookin for recommendations

post em :toast:
  2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    The bad reviews are quite "bad" now since the complaints they have were with issues present only in the first few weeks and have been resolved by firmware updates.

If I were you though, replacing the PSU (Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 700W) would be my priority.
  3. Bunchies New Member

Thanks Received:
    really cuzz i justed replaced my Stupid antec Psu that Had high pitched noises to the "Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 700W" ,i dont really got money to blow on a $150 Psu Atm lol

and most of the reviews for the ssd's wer pretty recent but ill probably get a vertex 3 over the agility
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I bought a new OCZ 60GB over Christmas for a friends build and it was DOA, though that's potluck and nothing else. The replacement worked fine out of the box, and my vertex 2 90GB has never skipped a beat and I have had it as my OS drive for a little over a year.
  5. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I have owned about 8 different OCZ ssd's and never had a problem with any. The only prob I ever had was with the first vertex 30gb when it first came out and it turned out to be a windows install problem because of bad alignment. That 30gb cost me around $300 from memory!!!

I know corsair and crucial both have very good reviews too. Maybe see if you can get a deal on one of those.
  6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    What exactly is that "Stupid Antec PSU" you're talking about? AFAIK all Antec PSUs are 80% efficient and have stable voltages. That particular PSU you have may have had just something wrong with it, but generally speaking it would still be better than the one you replaced it with, considering the "700W" in that PSU you have is actually false. Besides the fact that voltages aren't exactly good and is quite inefficient.

And why are you looking for a small SSD? Considering the performance gap you should "bump it up" and get a 120GB one.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how many of the hardware brands are something more than an office that outsources everything, you just have to wonder what have computer cases, mouses, and SSD's in common, but some brands offer them all out of nowhere... Not saying that it is bad by definition, but suspicious it is...
  8. Canzara

Thanks Received:
    I've had several OCZ ssd's over the last few years as well. One has died on me and OCZ replaced it with an upgrade with no issue whatsoever.
    I'm currently running a vertex 3 I've had since Sept, I was one of those inflicted with the sandforce bug, but its been fixed with a firmware update and works amazingly now.

All the sandforce drives got bad reviews when the bug was running wild, but its not running wild anymore.
  9. Bunchies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright :) well thanks for the responses .i may end up getting the 120Gb for the extra space just in case but 60Gb sounds good just for a boot drive and probably a few small programs i use the most .all my games and programs i barly use can got on my 1Tb Hard drive .