1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a way to access my computer remotely

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by theubersmurf, Feb 6, 2012.

1. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    I've been trying Logmein, but it's somehow not working the way I want it to. WOL is enabled in the BIOS, and under the properties in the Device manager, I have it so that the NIC can be shut down and to allow it to wake the computer, however, I disabled the need for a magic packet. I want to see if that would allow it to work.

I'm using a portable app (Logmein ignition) that runs from my flash drive. Anyone have this scenario well hammered out?

2. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use Dameware NT Remote Control. It is able to enable all my remote management needs. Try it out... it might work your scenario.

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Teamviewer is great to use

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    +1 for TeamViewer - easy and free for non-commercial use

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I run teamviewer on all my PCs and I can connect into my main PC then connect into my other PC's within my home network.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Im at work without a bios in front of me, but you need the right s-state. S3 maybe. And you need magic packet. And a proggy to send said packet. And your router forwarded to the right computer.

First get a reserved ip in the router. That's about all I can recall without research.

I have it hashed out, even over wifi, but I have a welding torch in my hand instead of a mouse.

Edit...does logmein work when pc is running?

7. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    Will this work over WAN? and also, does it have a "Portable app" that I can run from a thumb drive? I need to be able to access this thing from a large network that I have limited priviledges in.

8. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Not gonna happen if you are not the network admin. Or just ask the admin. He/she may have a system in place for this.

Wait...look at doing this the right (by the book) way. Prolly gonna have to fill out some forms and request it. You are going to have to give a very good reason.

9. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Try RDP build into all windows machines. You can also change the ports on RDP if necessary

10. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    You can also use Windows Live Mesh.

Its part of the Windows Live package(and you don't have to install the rest of the package), and with it you can log into your pc(as long as its running windows live mesh) from a browser on any other PC via the Windows Live environment.

I've used it for about a year now, and its never let me down.

EDIT: It also doesnt need any ports opening, and can also be used to automatically sync folders with other PC's also running Windows live Sync, and even with an online map, which you can also acces from anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012