1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

looking for another ssd

Discussion in 'Storage' started by moocow0463, Jan 19, 2013.

1. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    so last year i put my OS and a few programs on my SSD and now im in love and i need more space im looking to purchase a 240gb SSD for gaming. if you guys know of any other good deals going on ill up for any ideas need MOAR SPEED!:toast:

im looking at
    ocz agility 3
    Refurbished: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 2...

sandisk
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/...0GB_SATA_60Gb-s_25_Internal_Solid_State_Drive

no link on hand but the ocz vertex 2

vertex 3 with rebate
    OCZ Vertex 3 - MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G...

mushkin chronos
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR240GB-7 2.5" 240G...

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    crucial m4's are amazing bang for buck compared to the other drives - they may not be the fastest compared to the competition but they are not too far off. if the m4 is cheaper - id grab one of those

3. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    thanks they are actually running quite a bit more then some other options thanks tho

4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    The Vetex 3 has better write and iops than the M4 and is cheaper. I have a Vertex 3 and it is very good. Stay away from refurb. The Sandisk you listed is kickass. so either the Vertx3 or Sandisk are great choices.

The M4 is not as good and cost more. If you look at his post, the M4 was not one of his choices. Back at ya.

5. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
    I just got my Sandisk Extreme 120GB yesterday and am having no issues so far and getting great speeds even with in-compressible data. No DOA, it had the latest firmware already flashed. I looked up the reviews on Newegg and they are also very positive. I got mine for $89.99 so the price was right.

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    i see youre still butt hurt enough to drag drama from a previous thread into this one. ggs

regardless whether it was one of his choices or not - notice that i said ''if it was cheaper''

crucial ssds are always discounted here in the uk and the price is quite often not far off from each other and not hundreds of pounds like other peoples suggestions.

crucial m4 is a solid choice 'if' it can be found cheaper, otherwise the sandisk extreme is a decent choice but it fails to distance itself from the crowd according to a fair few reviews.
    i have one in my netbook anyway and it serves is purpose

EDIT

also i recommend staying away from OCZ for a while, their drives have had many issues regarding reliability as of late.

7. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Have you considered Samsung 840 (250GB)?

I've tried the 840 Pro and it's crazy fast.

8. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    ya i wouldn't buy the refurbished ssd the max iops one has a rebate going on right now which brings it within $20, i wouldn't risk refurbished for $20

9. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Can't fault my Corsair Force 3 240GB got it for a steal too, I think nowadays with the advancement of SSD technologies and such that for GENERAL use most are pretty much on par ( that you would be able to notice anyway) so unless you are doing a lot of data transfer or running disk intensive programs where you need the best performance I would really just opt for the cheapest as long as the reviews are favourable (ie: they don't have a lot of firmware issues/DOA etc) 20-30MB/s won't be noticeable for everyday use though I'm sure you can find a use for the money that you will save :toast:

moocow0463 says thanks.
  10. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    if it wasnt nearly $200 i would consider but its over budget right now

11. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    ya this is basically what my list is comprised of, im looking for name brand 240gb ssd with the best deals. just need something reliable and affordable

12. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Well read the thread click on the links. He is not in the UK. OCZ drives are fine with new firmware updates and nand controller.

My butt does not hurt, you really should pay more attention and relax a bit.:laugh:

13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Considering what you can get SSDs with reliable controllers for anymore, and the speeds they're capable of now, I'd avoid anything with a Sandforce controller, which is pretty much all of the ones you listed.

Decent controllers won't degrade nearly as badly as the drive fills up. They're also more resilient to repeated write operations, be it large file transfers or whatever.

The Samsung 840, Crucial M4, etc, can be had at decent prices, just subscribe to Newegg's email promos if you can. I looked into torture test reviews a lot before I made my decision, and it was then that I realized you cannot, and I can't stress this enough, CANNOT go by mere manufacturer specs alone.

I ended up getting a Plextor M5P 128GB and have been very satisfied. It does not waver a bit in speed or degrade over time like most SSDs. It has the Marvell controller like the Criiucial M4, but uses proprietary firmware to maximize efficiency of TRIM operations, which is where a lot of SSDs fail to maintain consistency.

I see a lot of people bragging about manufacturer specs of their drives, and some showing CrystalMark scores when they're new, but that means nothing really. In SSDs it's all about how consistent they are.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  14. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    M4 is a good drive and your correct on everything you said. Sometimse you can get a M4 at a deal on NewEggster but the write speeds are slower than Vertex 3 and 4 drives along with iops. The Vertex drives did have problems in the past but it is well documented the problem has been rectified with the Nand controller.

15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    The M4 drives use to be some of the best drives you could get for your money, things have kind of changed with a lot of the newer drives that give you same performance if not better for about the same cost.

16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Added some to my post you may have missed. I went with a Plextor, not an M4. I have heard the Sandforce controller has improved some with the new firmware, but until I see proof in torture tests that it can SUSTAIN those speeds, I remain skeptical.

I'll have to check to see if there's any retroactive reviews on trustworthy sites that do torture tests regarding older drives such as the Vertex 3 with the new firmware, but that may be hard to find.

It's not so much the speed of the original SF that was the problem, it was consistency due to less reliability. You pay more for Plextors, but their proprietary firmware that maximizes TRIM efficiency keeps them rock steady in speed consistency. All the sweeter when combined with the reliability of the Marvell controller.

17. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Ya, my buddy reviewed a Plextor and had nothing but good to say

18. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    It's not just speeds that are important; keep in mind consistency and stability. I had minor issues (but issues nonetheless) with other drives like the Sandisk Extreme and Vertex 4, whether a system freeze, lockup, pauses, reboots, or other weird issues.

That was the reason I stuck with Samsung 830s because they never had had any weird inconsistencies like that. The 830s are still amazing drives and I would love the 840 Pro!

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I have a Kingston SSDNow V300, it is blazing fast. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky used to have loading times that could take a minute or two (estimate), now it is 15 seconds or so even on my "mere" SATAII connection. I believe you can find reviews of it in the OP of the "SSD Reviews" thread (which is a "sticky" AFAIK). You may find it a bit more cheaply than e.g. a Samsung 840 or Crucial M4. However, I do not know whether I might get the issues that Manofthem describes with the drive I have (I own it less than a month).

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    im not so worried about speeds as you said, ms's off of a load time isnt going to make a huge difference. i want consistency and reliability. with an upgrade from a standard HDD ill look into the 830s and compare to what i have chosen

21. Paladone

Thanks Received: