1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for antivirus software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by sheps999, Jan 14, 2009.

1. sheps999

sheps999 New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK. Where it's always lovely and su-...no, never m
    I'm been looking for a lightweight antivirus program for Windows, but havn't had any luck so far.
    I've been using Avira Antivir (the free version) for some time, but the "Notification" thing every time it updates, and the update box popping up over whatever it is I'm doing is getting really irritating. I've also tried the free version of Eset's NOD32, but as it takes up around 40MB of memory (4 times what Antivir took up), I'm not too willing to keep it installed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent antivirus? I'd preferably like something that updates silently in the background, and then notifies me with a teeny popup that it's done (much like Growl in OSX). and hopefully a small memory footprint. I've heard good things about Kaspersky, so I'm willing to pay for the program.

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Avast

or comodo internet security.

both are free

both are light

both work better than the aid programs i use

and both update silently in the background

sheps999 says thanks.
  3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    sheps999 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    This question comes up so much, have you looked at any of the previous threads?
    I choose kaspersky off recommendations, its cheap, lite on resources, have never had a virus, one of the best protections, and it hardly ever bugs me.

sheps999 says thanks.
  5. sheps999

sheps999 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've just installed Comodo, and the memory usage is just about 9MB. 9MB for both realtime antivirus, and a firewall :D. Whereas before, it'd be about 30-40MB for some antivirus and Zonealarm.

I downloaded and installed Kaspersky, but it seems to be a trial version. I did say I'd be willing to pay, but Comodo seems to have everything I need out of an antivirus, and it's free.

I also tried Avast, but it seems to want to run 4 processes at once, and the voice thing is irritating.

So thanks for the recommendations :).

6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Just so you know, you can turn the sounds off in avast, its the anti-virus I always put on new PC's

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been running Avast for years, this is what I do.

Install it. Turn off VDRB generation and merge VDRB icon with Avast icon. Turn off automatic updating (turns voice off) and update manually. When installing apps/playing games, etc. I right click the icon and turn everything off. I've never had any issues with Avast itself or interfering with other programs. It catches viruses when they come around any my system has never been affected. I like Kapersky as well, however I have had issues between Kapersky and other apps.

8. sheps999

sheps999 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, OK. I'll give it another try :)

EDIT:Avast takes up even more memory than NOD32

[​IMG]

:(

I think I'll give Comodo the benefit of the doubt, or maybe try the trial period on Kasperky.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    http://uk.youtube.com/user/mrizos

Saw this elsewhere on tpu.

Komodo drives me nuts. Nod is good but not foolproof. And according to mrizos , the best app ever is Defnsewall HIPS.