1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for good mp3 player

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eric3988, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Eric3988

Eric3988 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sup all!
    I've been thinking it's time to retire my mp3 player, and get a new one. My current one has a gig of flash memory but the thing I hate about it is that you have to use Sony's program to add any music to it whatsoever. I would like to get another mp3 player that has atleast that capacity but doesn't require a special program to put music on it. I like just being able to use windows media player and putting the music on it that way. A radio tuner and other stuff is nice but not necessary. What do you all think I should get?
  2. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have an iPod and I like it, but haven't tried others. BUT, you do not have to use iTunes. You can download music from LimeWire, and there's a program online that converts music to a file that iTunes recognizes, and then you can add to your iPod. Easy really, not hard at all.
  3. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    samsung has the yapp that supports drag and drop AND supports multi formats such as ogg(higher quility at lower bitrate then mp3=more music on player)

iriver has some good units out, irivers newer units tend to support alot of formats and the newer ones dont need anything but windows to drag and drop files onto them.

also jetaudio has some NICE units as well, very good format support, good prices, i know a few people who wont buy anything else since they go their first jetaudio units.

last brand i like is rio, depends on the unit, the ones that support ogg/mpc formats are great.

i try for multi format support because i like quility and also like audio books, mp3 for audio books at LOW bitrate sound like they where recorded in a toilet bowl, alot of chirping/chiming/chittering sounds in the upper frequincys.
    ogg dosnt suffer from this flaw, you can run voice audio down to 64k and full hz/sterio and no problems,
    112k ogg is equivlant to 128k mp3, 128k ogg is ruffly equivlant to 192k mp2, 160k ogg=256k mp3
    also like having support for diffrant formats because sometimes i get music from a coupld buddys who use ogg or mpc(musepack codec, kicks for music) or flak/ape/frog formats(lossless compression)
    nice to have a wide range of supported formats
    jetaudio,samsung(yapp), iriver can normaly deliver that no problem, i say normaly because some models are cheaper built and support less fetures then others.

now if u really just want mp3 format support theres a little cube u can get a walmart, its the size of a dice/die but 1gb capacity works very well, once again drag and drop use.
  4. Eric3988

Eric3988 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm just looking for a multi format mp3 player that isn't too expensive. I would consider the 30 gig ipod, but I don't know of any good places on the net to download any videos of any worth. You can't watch full blown movies on an ipod could you? I don't know never had one or really researched one. Those ogg and mpc formats sound interesting, havent even heard of those either.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  5. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    could save up and get a psp, they game and play FULL movies AND audio, when i say full movies you can buy or encode your own to play on the psp :)

for cheap/good the yapp from samsung, multiformat, great fetures, and hey ITS SAMSUNG!!!!!!
  6. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    get the sansa e270 6 gb its so nice thats the 1 im buying :)
  7. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

list of ogg compatable players(ogg vorbis) most of them will support formats other then mp3/wma and ogg, due to the chip they use to decode, great list of units that are broad specturm :)