1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

looking for good survaillance system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karolpl2004, Oct 29, 2010.

1. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    hi im looking for a good survaillance system. i need 12 cameras, both indoor and out. i need it to be above average video quality. some cameras have to be placed outdoor. also im looking for a unit to hook up to a tv not one that is built into a monitor.

2. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I do video surveillance systems as a living. Most modern DVR systems have DVI/HDMI or VGA outputs and are no longer tied into older CRT systems as they used to be. You even have the option of adding a 16 channel capture card to a PC and using it as a DVR server.

You're options are pretty wide open but this depends on budget and how you want to use the system. If you wish to stream live feed to a website I recommend you use IP cameras which can run on a cat5e or cat6 cable but these cameras are a little more expensive.

Budget would be you're biggest limiting factor to get the sort of quality you're looking for. Above average quality video can run you close to $500-$1000 for each camera. If you are installing this system into a business you could easily write these expenses off and most insurances institutions will give you a discount for having a system in place (even at home).

Our current supplier http://www.ascendentgroup.com/ might be able to work with you...

3. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
  4. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Might not be too bad. I dont know if you'll see above average quality on these cameras but you might be satisfied with them anyway. The cameras are rated to operate at temperatures down to -20c. Around that temp they could start to fail (temporarily) until them warm up. The DVR alone might make the deal worth it as it's expandable and is basically the same as some of our units. You can also upgrade cameras with this system as it's pretty standard for the video and power connections. Although most high-end exterior cameras operate at 24vAC they wont work with that power box.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    side topic: what is considered "vandal proof?" i read it on one of the security sites.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would assume it uses "special" hardware or cover plates to keep people from trying to remove the camera before they get captured on it.

8. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Ususally vandal proof reffers to impact resistant mounts/covers/domes and usually are secured with non-standard screws such as hexscrews with a pin in the center.

9. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    ah, k. i was thinking of the old "black spray paint the lens" trick.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    That would still work on just about any camera within reach.