1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for help with laptop screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CrypticDecipher, Nov 28, 2011.

1. CrypticDecipher

CrypticDecipher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I got a lappy and netbook from a customer and don't know what to do with the lappy. The screen was obviously cracked and I've never fixed/replaced one before. I'm asking for opinions if I should even attempt this on my own or just tell them to send it to the manufacturer etc. This is out of warranty however to my knowledge. It's an HP Pavilion dv9700. I booted it up and everything seems fine, just the screen is cracked. I tried to do some research into this but...yea..like I said never replaced a screen before. I attached a pic of the screen.(sorry for glare, had to use my lappy) The huge black diagonal line is the crack etc. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    It's quite easy to replace a screen, try to find a disassembly guide for the specific model of laptop so you have a step by step indication of where to take screws out and what clips to unclip. There might be some youtube videos as well. Always make sure the replacement screen is compatible as there can be different connectors.

stinger608 and CrypticDecipher say thanks.
  3. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Completely agree with N-Gen here!!

Here is the factory manual that includes dis-assembly and reassembly of that specific model.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01311536.pdf

CrypticDecipher says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. CrypticDecipher

Thanks Received:
  5. CrypticDecipher

Thanks Received:

Hey thanks, I realized I put up the wrong model but found the right manual on their site.

6. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    I usually check eBay given my location, lots of pretty cheap screens on there, reputable sellers, just make sure they're compatible and since it's for a customer stick with the same resolution. A good thing I do when I get laptops for screen replacements is disassemble them as soon as I get them, this way I can see the screen code. You will find this on the rear plate of the screen, there would be a sticker with the brand and screen code details you would need, just match those with the ones you see for sale and you're good to go!

stinger608 and CrypticDecipher say thanks.
  7. CrypticDecipher

Thanks Received:
    Gonna setup a workstation and get started on dis assembly once everything's situated. Thanks all. Will update.

8. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    screens are not hard to do, just take your time.

also, you may be able to find a whole lid assembly and just swap the lid. much easier than removing the lid and disassembling it. as all your doing is removing the hinges and plugging into the mb.

9. CrypticDecipher

Thanks Received:
    So if I were to start searching replacements I would just use the laptops name and full lid or something? Like is there any special terms etc? Thanks.

10. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Too bad you're not in New Zealand, I can get that exact panel in my hands in 10 minutes.

I've worked on those laptops and dismantled them more times than I care to recall.
    There are specific websites which cater in selling used but in good condition panels for laptops.

Where I work has a supplier so surf the web for a site.
    The site should be easy enough to navigate to find the panel for the specific model.

Fortunately the plastic on that DV model is quite sturdy only issue I find is the brass nuts embedded in the plastic break off.

I recommend making sure the brass nuts have not broken off on the left and the right bottom of the panel as they are very important in the support of the hinges.

If these break off and there is no support in those areas the hinges will break very easily.

11. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I replaced a screen for the first time a few weeks ago, and the entire process was relatively painless. There's a general method to removing the bezel. Depending on the make/model of your netbook, you may or may not have to disassemble the laptop. Manufacturers usually cover screw holes with little rubber grommets. Once you pop those off and remove the screws, all that's left is a little prying.

The hardest part is really to find a compatible screen. I purchased my replacement screen on the infamous auction site since I wanted a screen with a matte finish versus the glossy finish on the stock screen.