1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for new 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Irish_PXzyan, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Well lads! For awhile now I've been having some issues with my current setup.

For starters, I need a stepdown power converter to power the Onkyo TX-NR313 AV Receiver here in Ireland and I just recently moved out and it's causing some issues!
    The power converter makes a constant loud noise and sometimes blows it's fuse which I must replace! very annoying.

Also it's a 800w converter..I must ask, does it use 800w of power constantly?? It gets very hot even when there is nothing connected to it!
    I have gotten to the point where I don't use this system much anymore and I'm put off even bothering with it. But I want 5.1 audio!

I have been thinking for quite awhile now weather I should just sell this current setup and buy a normal typical surround sound system designed for computers or just go with a more compact system.

Also, my sound card isn't supported by windows 7 and the 5.1 jack no longer works! so I can only use it for my 2.1 speakers.
    I currently have the 5.1 system connected to the GPU.

So I need to buy a new Sound card and new 5.1 system.

This is what I have in mind:

Creative Sound Blaster ZX PCI-Express Desktop Audio System
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/creativ...-audio-system-8CX7.html?q=creative 5.1&src=16

and

GENIUS SW-HF5.1 6000 speakers
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6000728/art/genius/sw-hf5-1-6000-speakers.html

Both of these are affordable at the moment and appear to be quite good! What do you guys think??

Please advise me lads as I really don't know what to do.
    Should I just buy a new converter? that uses much less Wattage? the onkyo system only requires 300W.
    Or should I just replace this US AV receiver with a European version????

Any advice would be great lads! cheers :toast:

2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
  3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I use an LG bluray 5.1 home theater.
    Remarkably cheap lately.
    It runs the TV and the PC sound.
    Might consider that if you run everything to the TV like I do. ^^

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Can you get stuff from Amazon were your at ?.. I think just replacing the AV with one that comply's to your house hold socket.

If you can go Amazon that be there place to get a new AV and just look up the last years model to get one cheaper.

There is always ebay or superFi http://www.superfi.co.uk/

Postage probably going be high but still.

Midi systems don't typically have the power what you have now and rated in some crappy PMP\PMPO or some other crap.

I know there used to be more than one second hand place in Birmingham (UK of course ) which might be willing to ship.

5. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for the advice lads!

I really am just considering replacing the AV Receiver with a European version as it makes much more sense to me.

Sadly Amazon doesn't ship to me :/ But I have been looking on Pixmania and they have a large enough selection of systems their! Like LG and other brands offering decent looking systems on the cheap! But I just don't think it would be worth doing that as I already have a great system here :p

I think I will just have to find an Onkyo TX-SR313 that will use my plug sockets and just be happy with that!

Unless someone could suggest something else more worthwhile at a decent price? 200-300 Euro!

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Shame ya cannot get a electioneer to come around and set up one of the sockets as 120v :p.. Here in this part of the US we have 240v sockets too for stuff like dryers.

You could always move hahaha..