1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

looking for phone, router, cable modem combo

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by hat, Mar 9, 2014.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    We have phone and internet through our ISP here. I was hoping I could find an all in one cable modem (docsis 3.0), router (Gigabit Ethernet, wireless n or even AC) and phone support. Anyone know of one? I've found plenty of router modem combos but none seem to have phone ...

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    We can't use our own modem. I noticed our phone box also had a cable modem... and we also had the modem/router, so we actually had 2 modems set up. I disconnected the modem/router and put in an ASUS RT-N66R and things are running smooth.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    why not try to sahve some bills and run elastix on a dedicated small machine? and just run high consumer grade equipment?

4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I was hoping I could use my own box but two problems...

1. Armstrong will not let us use our own modem, we have to use theirs
    2. I could not find a box that was a modem, router and phone... there's only modem+phone or modem+router

We should be able to shave the bill a little because we're not using their modem+router anyway. What was weird was they set it up with two modems... one was modem+phone and the other was modem+router. Since we're not using their modem+router anymore, just their modem+phone we should be able to save a little...

Everyone likes my setup better with my own router instead of their clunky thing. We have 3 computers, 2 PS3s, my phone, a PS Vita and a Wii U that all get on the network... their clunky old box couldn't take the stress. The ASUS RT-N66R can handle all that easily. Supposedly it has a 600MHz CPU and 256MB RAM... it's handled everything wonderfully as far as I can tell.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've seen Comcast do this a lot when people have voice and internet service, it's not unusual. In fact the phone modem is doing the same thing anyways. VoIP goes over their network like the internet does. Either way, it sounds like you answered your own question. I personally think less hardware is better and would prefer not splitting the coax more, but that's me. Going with the dual phone+internet modem is probably your best bet though. At least that way you have the ability to change the router.

6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Definitely best to use your own router. This is actually in my fiancee's house... I've already proven my worth as a computer guy they think I'm a pc whiz. I've heard nothing but good things about the internet performance in general here since I did away with their modem/router box and put in the RT-N66R.

It's a great router... supposedly it has a 600MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, and it has gigabit WAN, 4 port gigabit LAN switch, dual band wireless N with 3 antennas... it's got 2 usb ports as well, supposedly it can be a print server, a NAS and all sorts of other things. It had a bit of a steep price tag for a router but I'd recommend it to anybody who has a moderately large network and just wants a "kill em all" solution as it were. The only bad thing I can say about it so far is that the GUI seems terribly slow... even wired right in. It takes ages to save port forward information. I've read though that it could be an issue with Windows 8... which doesn't surprise me, I've seen some quirky issues with W8.

Right now it's telling me I have a limited connection even though I'm hard wired right into the router, and the new W8 "apps" think I'm not connected to the internet when quite clearly I am... but it could have something to do with Classic Shell maybe, I don't know. My computer is doing this hard wired with the RT-N66R and it did it when we had the other box and I was connected through WiFi.

Crunching for Team TPU