1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for Professional Grade keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mrsemi, Sep 5, 2012.

1. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    I am willing to spend up to $200.00 for a bulletproof keyboard. I'm getting confused by all the different cherry switches.

Needs to last, needs to have good play. Needs to be not too loud. I use it for phone work, I don't mind the customers hearing typing but don't want it to be overbearing feeding through my headset.

I don't need backlit. I do want something that the keys don't wear out on, on the outside. ps2 or usb no matter.

I've loved the logitech illuminated but I wear the control, shift and tab keys out too quickly.
    Also, small size would be a bonus.

Anyone got something to recommend. I was going to buy the corsair vengeance k90 but one review said the thing died with a single spill, have been known to spill once in a while.

I'm not partial to mechanical as long as it's got a good touch feel, been typing for 20 years.

Always appreciate this boards recommendations.

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Matias Tactile Pro3 Uses Alps white switches and has been my go to board for months now!

mrsemi says thanks.
  3. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the response but I think it's going to fall into the too loud category. The review I found and youtube video seem to suggest so anyway.

I have to talk a lot, my outbound settings on the headset are high so even a fan across the room feeds into it. I realize I'm asking a lot but hoping to find something close to my needs.
    Thanks buttons removed from the forum?

4. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Well if you want mechanical switches and somewhat silent you need to look at offerings with red Cherry MX switches. A lot less "clacky" than the Matias, and if you are serious about writing a rubber dome board isn't what you need. They all feel like mud to me now.

mrsemi says thanks.
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    mrsemi says thanks.
  6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    They are near $200 aren't they?

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    They are right under 200. 179 and such. Well in his budget.

8. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    agreed...and blacks are supposedly silent, just never had the chance to use them yet myself.

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I haven't either. Just from what I have heard and read they are beyond epic. I had to settle for a Black Widow mechanical and while its nice, its loud too which is something the OP doesn't want.......that and I scored it for 25 bucks which he won't lol.

The Deck boards have a 30 day money back guarantee. You can't go wrong with that! I was in the market before I scored this one.

10. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Thanks all, in for 1. Praying it's all the reviews say it is, was 197 something with shipping.
    Love ya.

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Let us know how you like it! Would be interesting to hear.

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Which one did you get?!

13. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Got the Legend Ice Tactile.

Had forgotten I came here a while back and been given a link to the deck site when looking for a smaller keyboard, ended up buying the kensington version much as I don't trust wireless. Regretted it, had a bug when gaming with spinning the characters. Like the left key being held down.

Yeah, can do. ups ground from about anywhere, probably here little over a week. Will attempt to remember to pop back in. Thanks.

14. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Ok, initial impressions. This thing is tanky. The tactile keys do let you know you're pressed them and it is a bit of effort compared to the logitech illuminated but nothing I can't get used to.

Right now do I love it? No, but there's a learning curve on touch sensitivity so I hear.
    It's sitting next to my abs cheapo mechanical and it's much bigger, lots of space above the function keys.

The keys are well lit, though on keys with multiple letters it brightly illuminates only the center. There are 7 brightness settings built into the keyboard. I don't need bright keys or illumination at all but could be a nice function for some.

The cord itself is twice as thick as the logitech illuminated keyboard it replaced. There's no braided material but I'm guessing it could take quite a few chair rollovers.

It's quiet, not silent but nowhere near as loud as that clanky abs mechanical by a long shot.

It's not waterproof which was one of my hopes but I did lots of reading and seems as though it's repairable if a spill hits it.

1 year warranty, doubt I'll need it because I think this thing will last a good long while assuming I don't feed it beer.

The height of the keyboard is much higher than the logitech illuminated, I will invest in a wrist rest. I know you're not supposed to rest your fingers on the desk, I do. Could only imagine what my pro gamer lats would look like otherwise.

The control key for which I use a ton at work is a stretch farther away than most keyboards I've used. Makes it a little difficult to get that pinky down and strike a key with the same hand.

The grooves between the keys are deep, looks like it'd make an excellent dirt trap but it also looks like the debris that falls in should make its way back out easily with a flip and tap.

There are no holes on the bottom of this keyboard, if you spill in it it's staying there.

The keys themselves seem to be two different materials. The tops seem to be inserted into the sides. My guess is the material is more durable though the feel of the keys is suspiciously similar to the saitek pro game pad/cyborg pad. The light bleeds through the materials in these seams on some of the keys at any illumination above the lowest one. Don't care personally, might bother some who dumped $200 after shipping on a keyboard.

The lettering fonts on the keys is a little non standard, looks fine to me but some may not care for it.
    [​IMG]