1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for RTS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Champ, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Homeworld and Homeworld 2 are still EPIC! HW2 has mods too. And coming eventually, they are getting remastered for modern hardware/oses. I'm VERY excited for this!

http://www.homeworldremastered.com/

erocker says thanks.
  2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I had a difficult time grasping the COH style. Could be that I grew up on Blizzard RTS's and AOE RTS's. If you've played a blizzard RTS, you can plug right into an AOE game, but with something like Sup Com or COH, it's completely different. Hell, even ground control and the lord of the rings RTS was similar to SC2.

3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I almost forgot about Warcraft III + Frozen Throne, Campaign is simply amazing, and the online custom map presence is still very much there and alive.
    Damn this thread is awesome, so many good games I own that I haven't installed!

Champ says thanks.
  4. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Try the Wargame series. They're pretty slow paced really realistic and damn hard because you can have your soldiers run out of ammo and your vehicles run out of gas and ammo(I always lose my artillery tanks because they run out of gas in the middle of the map).

6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
  7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I'm really into Crusader Kings II myself. It's a medieval grand strategy game with a twist, in that your task is not to build and maintain and empire, that is merely secondary, your main task is to increase the standing of your dynasty and ensure its survival. With a combination of war and political marriages, I secured the largest empire in Europe, and then scored a practical coup by marrying the aging Byzantine emperor's eldest daughter; this allowed me to press her claim to the throne after he died and secure the united thrones of Britannia and Byzantium for my son. Fast forward about three or four generations and I'm poised to inherit the Kingdom of Rus while single-handedly holding back the Mongol horde AND reclaiming the holy land from the decadent Muslims. It's got to be the most epic strategy game I've ever played, and the developer is continuing to support it with excellent new content. I can't recommend it enough!

Ahhzz and ne6togadno say thanks.
  8. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    hm now when you mentioned it Overlord 1&2 + addon for first part is quite fun game too.

9. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    Been waiting for this myself. I really hope they don't mess it up. But even if they do. I'll still play the original. Over....and over......and over...still.......

Edit: So I'm covering my ass and not derailing the thread, and since Mechwarrior 2 is my 2nd favorite game of all time, give MechCommander a try. No base building, but much more tactics focused.

Kursah says thanks.
  10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Mechcommander was epic back in it's day! That and Commando's were sweet RTT titles from the 90's.

Anyone try the F2P Zero-K? It's got a lot to offer for a free title. Sure it's not quite the polish that the bigger name RTS titles have, but for free it's good.

I'm also looking at another Spring engine based F2P title called Evolution RTS (found through Steam), that looks pretty damn good imho. Was just released 4/4/14.

Here's other Spring engine-based games:
    http://springrts.com/wiki/Games

pigulici says thanks.
  11. Flogger23m

Thanks Received:
    How is Wargame: Red Dragon for someone who does not play many RTS games (only played HW2)? Is it difficult to learn? My main draw to it is the more realistic unit behaviors and the cold war-modern setting.

12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Wargame: Red Dragon is good, but has a steep initial learning curve. If you want a little more arcady and easier get into game with a solid SP experience, get World in Conflict. Both are considered RTT or Real Time Tactical, as you micro units instead of base building and creating armies. You generally have a predefined quota to manage that's much smaller in RTT vs RTS.

World in Conflict is very good even for it's age. Dawn of War 2 is also a solid RTT experience.

Cold-war is fun, and WiC nails it too...it's not as realistic as Wargame, but with realism comes challenge and tactics too. Good but also has more of a focus on MP than SP, where WiC's MP is dead but has a good SP storyline of Russia invading via Seattle narrated by Alec Baldwin iirc.

I recommend both, but start with WiC, if it becomes a breeze and you really enjoy that aspect, try the Wargame series, the previous two are quite fun as well. I hope that helps!

Check out the thread I made for Strategy gaming, link is the orange one in my sig. :toast:

13. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I haven't played this but a friend does. Looks awesome. Wargame: Red Dragon

14. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    Starcraft series is solid.
    Rise of Nations
    CoH

These are all games I wish i could play more. lol
    great games, you won't regret them.

also thought rise of legends was interesting

15. 3dExtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    Age of Empires Online..

Too bad they shutting it down in July. : ( been playing it for the past 2 1/2 years great game..

16. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    it was too cartoony for my taste

17. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
  18. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Taylor also had Total Annihilation Kingdoms, that was basically the vanilla game with a fantasy layover.

Kursah says thanks.
  19. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Very true. I never did get into it...TA was epic...but again, I love SciFi.

20. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Ascension to the Throne on sale at Steam, turn based battles, open movement. Most of the comments I saw say the graphics and story are crap, but the combat and strategy are solid.

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i completely disagree with everything you've said there.

WoL was terran, HotS was zerg - and neither single player teaches you anything really useful for the multiplayer.

Heart of the swarm added a LOT of noob friendly features, and the matchmaking system works great so new players only fight against new players, unless they've been on a win streak.

for sit back and 'relax' - try FTL. it sounds weird, but its one hell of a game.

Kursah says thanks.
  22. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've passed on FTL many times...but it's always made me curious. I may have to check it out. Hopefully the OP does as well. :toast: